Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #21
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

COB and Opening Day, Those Fox guns are spectacular! I really like what they are, Special! They give us pride of ownership of wood and metal all working as one functional shotgun. We might sit while taking a break on a long grouse hunt and just look at the engraving,wood and hi quality workmanship. These new Fox guns are not up-grades or knock offs....they are the real deal made by the new owners of the A.H. Fox gun company. This is only new chapter in a long ongoing book of sportsmen, dogs and gun. I am very happy to have a CSMC Fox in my sporting life, it fits well! thanks all...SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 04-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #22
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I understand the CSMC Foxes have more hand finishing than the Parker Repros. The Repros have essentially no hand finishing, as I understand correctly. The Repros aren't bad guns, though, and I am the proud owner of one
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #23
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I don't think comparing a reproduction Parker that cost $2500 new and a CSMC Fox that cost $30,000 new for a similar grade is a fair comparison.
Unread 04-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #24
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
I understand the CSMC Foxes have more hand finishing than the Parker Repros. The Repros have essentially no hand finishing, as I understand correctly. The Repros aren't bad guns, though, and I am the proud owner of one
Mills, that's not a fair comparison, the Repros were machine made, the Foxes are basically hand fitted or made. The stocking is hand done, the fitting is hand done the engraving is totally hand done. Also if you notice Tony does not promote the Fox guns as much as his others ie Model 21 because they cost much more to build due to all the hand work required.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #25
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Which one offers the better value, or isn't that a fair comparison? Ooops, we'd better forget that, as it's probably not a fair question.
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #26
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
Mills, that's not a fair comparison, the Repros were machine made, the Foxes are basically hand fitted or made. The stocking is hand done, the fitting is hand done the engraving is totally hand done. Also if you notice Tony does not promote the Fox guns as much as his others ie Model 21 because they cost much more to build due to all the hand work required.
That is what I was trying to say. I understand the CSMC Foxes are made pretty much like they were in the old days
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #27
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
Which one offers the better value, or isn't that a fair comparison? Ooops, we'd better forget that, as it's probably not a fair question.
No Greg, you have a valid point, in terms of the best bang for the buck, I would choose the Parker Repro. But to buy a gun that has heart and soul I guess I have to go to the CSMC Fox. I look at these guns the same as I look at my original Parkers.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #28
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Greg value is in the eye of the owner. If you bought a DHE repo Parker when they were at the end of the era it was about $2500. Now it might bring $5000 used but not abused. When Tony first brought out the Fox I believe it was a CE grade and it cost $9000 today that gun will cost you close to $20,000 used.
A VHE Parker 410 in excellent condition is $30K+ My Fox Fe bought used but basically unfired was $21K that gun today is $35K plus. So I ask you where's the value???
Unread 04-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #29
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Greg value is in the eye of the owner. If you bought a DHE repo Parker when they were at the end of the era it was about $2500. Now it might bring $5000 used but not abused. When Tony first brought out the Fox I believe it was a CE grade and it cost $9000 today that gun will cost you close to $20,000 used.
A VHE Parker 410 in excellent condition is $30K+ My Fox Fe bought used but basically unfired was $21K that gun today is $35K plus. So I ask you where's the value???
Uh, Rich, one may or may not agree with your numbers above, but for the sake of discussion let's use them. If the DHE Repro originally sold for $2500 and is now selling for $5000--that's a 100% increase in value. If the CSMC Fox originally sold for $21,000 and now sells for $35,000--that's an increase of only 60% . . . maybe now you can answer your own question.

Having said this, I love CSMC Fox guns as well as original Foxes. Kenny's new Fox is a real beauty, but one of my all-time CSMC favorites Steve Barnett still has listed -- the little 28-ga. 28" DE Special -- what a gun!

Incidently, I have an early CSMC Fox brochure that shows the CE priced at $5600. The price crept up through the years and then jumped $5K in price overnite last year to its now $19,500 starting price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 04-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #30
BS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have owned a BHE Steel shot special in 12 gauge that I bought from Bedlans and two CSMC foxes. The first one was the 16 gauge XE made to my measurements and it was exactly as I ordered it, the second one was an FE 20 gauge 2 barrel set that was just a great buy. I shot everything with the BHE and it did everything it was supposed to but it just felt like any other Japan produced gun to me like a Winchester 23, Browning BSS, Ithaca SKB etc. neat guns but just missing that hand built quality. Could anyone ever order a Parker reproduction to there own length of pull, cast on/off, barrel length, drop at comb and heel and select the very piece of wood for the stock? I just don't think that they are even comparable but thats just my opinion and wanted to share it.
Brett Souder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brett Souder For Your Post: