Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Timberdoodles
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Timberdoodles

Well today is the last day of the season, unfortunately for the pup and I we're snowed in. We had a great season so far, and was hoping to get the pointer out for one last strong run. We had a large number on resident birds this year, but with the weather being so warm the huge flights never made it in but still , I am damn pround of our boy, he found em, held steady to wing and shot and made this a memorable season. All this from a rescue dog someone threw out! Our last bird of the year, now on to GROUSE!
[IMG][URL=http://s675.photobucket.com/user/trutta_album/media/039_zpsebfc2462.jpg.html][/URL[/IMG]
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

last day for woodcock here as well, I expect some snow on the ground in the hills

i am breaking my hunting alone rule to take out a friend whose setter passed just before season and has not been out at all this year. we have seen no migrants yet, so is has been slow, hopefully the snow is light and there will be some action for the old dog in what may well be his last hunt for woodcock.
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

so sad i hope ya ll find lots of birds on this hunt...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

thanks Charlie, me too, the weather does not look cooperative

he is 11, not bad for a bird dog to still be in the woods, but his balance occasionally seems to be an issue, his hearing has been failing (life long battles with ear infections) so I have often had to wave my hat over my head to let him know where I was. the last couple hunts he seemed not to notice. this week he sat down and put his head on my lap and the light was just right to see just how much his eyes have clouded over.

forcing a retirement is the second worse part of giving your heart to a bird dog.
Unread 11-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here, Here! I hope you do find some resident birds, I'm here in Downeast Maine, usually the 2nd or 3rd week of Oct flights start trickling in, but not this year. Unfortunatley our season isnt that long and it looks like the end of November the flights will come through. We rescued an English pointer from pointerrescue.org, an amazing rescue group, last Dec. We had planned on fostering Danny to keep him from being euthanized, but when he arrived we knew he was a Riddell and it payed off he is one hell of a bird dog. I'm hoping this snow doesnt last long and I'll try to get him on grouse. Best of luck with your partner!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Good for you Rick. I too rescued 2 labs a few years back and they have been wonderful companions in the field and around the house. I'm positive they know I saved their butts as they never leave my side and really want to please me. I don't think I'll ever go to another breeder for my next dog as there are thousands of great dogs looking for a good home. Good luck with the grouse and give Danny a scratch behind the ear for me.
re
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default re

Will do, and I have the same sentiment as you, this is our first English pointer and man is he fun! All pup indoors and a machine in the field. I use to over look rescues but not anymore, there are definitely some hidden gems out there looking for a little love. Our Weimaraner came from a breeder but he just didnt have any drive or desire to hunt.
Unread 11-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
Tony Ambrose
Forum Associate

Member Info

Love English Pointers. Rick R - since you're from the Downeast area of Maine, you might appreciate this. I hunted NW of Bangor for two weeks at the end of October, pretty much in the Lakes region....from Rockwood down to Abbot/Dover-Foxcroft and over and up to north of Millinocket. One of the worst years in recent memory for weather, but one of the better years woodcock-wise in a long time. My little pointer, Pink, had a great time with the flight birds. Sorry - the gun is not a Parker - it's an A.H.Fox AE20, but still nice to carry in the covers!

First bird on first day.

When the flights are in, limits come way too easy!!

Rick - I take my hat off to you for going the rescue route. I've looked through pointerrescue.org a few times and there appear to be some very nice quality dogs out there that people have given up.
Tony Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Ambrose For Your Post:
Unread 11-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Nice, we had our second child on the 25th of October, so the pup and I didnt travel far, tons of resident birds, we only took a few home, gotta save some for next year! This is our lemonhead!
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 11-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Tony, an AE 20 with a straight grip--what a great little gun-would love to see more pictures
of it. I'm sure the Parker guys wont mind.