Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Thanks Steve. I'll do that.

Jeff, that's the exactly what I used to do back in the early sixties with a borrowed Trojan. Sadly, there are no such places around here anymore where the 'discharge of firearms' is still allowed.
Dean ,Are You Serious ?? No discharging of Firearms,,How far do you need to travel to shoot your guns ? I can't even imagine it , I guess I am spoiled ,A few times a week,I grab one of my Parker's and walk out on the lower patio and my wife pulls the trap and I shoot a handful of Biodegradable Clays ! Even worse I guess ,I shoot my Rifle in the front yard !!!!!
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Thanks Steve. I'll do that.

Jeff, that's the exactly what I used to do back in the early sixties with a borrowed Trojan. Sadly, there are no such places around here anymore where the 'discharge of firearms' is still allowed.
Dean ,Are You Serious ?? No discharging of Firearms,,How far do you need to travel to shoot your guns ? I can't even imagine it , I guess I am spoiled ,A few times a week,I grab one of my Parker's and walk out on the lower patio and my wife pulls the trap and I shoot a handful of Biodegradable Clays ! Even worse I guess ,I shoot my Rifle in the front yard !!!!!
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

This year is the first time I have bought a MA license in I don't remember how long. But for ducks and geese.
When I was a kid all I had to do was walk out my back door and in thirty yards I was in our cornfield which was well-populated with pheasants....

Today I have to drive more than thirty miles to get to a stocked state game preserve which is always well-populated with pheasant 'hunters' of every stripe..... not really where I want to be. Or I can go to the state forest where the discharge is allowed about six miles from my house for a walk in the mature woods but that the tree-huggers won't let the state cut for improved wildlife habitat.

If I drive seventy miles I can amuse myself by hunting overhunted public and private land....

So, I drive to Vermont and enjoy every minute I spend there... even if I get back to camp empty-handed but with a handful of empty shells in my pocket - and a game-bag full of great experiences and memories.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

It's unbelievable how things have gotten ! I guess I am fortunate ,our area hasn't grown up much ,but.... I had to travel nearly forty miles to find work that pays enough to live on !
Unread 11-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Russ,

I was down your way last week; near Indiana, Pa (Clymer) visiting my nephew. My nephew shoots off the porch at his home too. I grew up near Ridgway (Hallton) and spent many hours shooting 22's off the front porch. I sure miss that!

I go back "home" every bear/deer season to hunt and visit. When I am there I shoot off the porch. That sure spoils me. Here at home I have to pack up the truck and drive 20 miles to the range. I can hunt near the house but the odds of getting a shot are slim.

Deer hunting in PA..... when PA brought in Gary Alt to "manage" the deer, it was the beginning of a disaster. When I hunt deer now, I am lucky to see a half dozen deer a day where all my life I would see 50 or more in a day. I remember when there were traffic jams on the back dirt roads and the house lights were dim because of all the hunters "in camp". The fire hall and churches would serve breakfast and make money to run their small organizations the rest of the year. Farm houses rented out room & served breakfast to supplement income. None of that anymore. IMHO, Gary really screwed up deer hunting in PA, I hear that he has moved on and is now in Wisconsin.

With the deer numbers down, the young kids don't see anything and loose interest. Not only are the deer numbers down but the deer hunter numbers are down as well.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Russ,

I was down your way last week; near Indiana, Pa (Clymer) visiting my nephew. My nephew shoots off the porch at his home too. I grew up near Ridgway (Hallton) and spent many hours shooting 22's off the front porch. I sure miss that!

I go back "home" every bear/deer season to hunt and visit. When I am there I shoot off the porch. That sure spoils me. Here at home I have to pack up the truck and drive 20 miles to the range. I can hunt near the house but the odds of getting a shot are slim.

Deer hunting in PA..... when PA brought in Gary Alt to "manage" the deer, it was the beginning of a disaster. When I hunt deer now, I am lucky to see a half dozen deer a day where all my life I would see 50 or more in a day. I remember when there were traffic jams on the back dirt roads and the house lights were dim because of all the hunters "in camp". The fire hall and churches would serve breakfast and make money to run their small organizations the rest of the year. Farm houses rented out room & served breakfast to supplement income. None of that anymore. IMHO, Gary really screwed up deer hunting in PA, I hear that he has moved on and is now in Wisconsin.

With the deer numbers down, the young kids don't see anything and loose interest. Not only are the deer numbers down but the deer hunter numbers are down as well.
He was in VT and NH too, trashed this state and moved on to PA, I have stopped bow hunting in PA for the same reason , no deer and now lots of posted land because" not enough deer for our own family" dean when I am shooting off my deck , I can also get the used coffee out of my system too.
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,793 Times in 651 Posts

I have urban neighbors getting closer, but I still can shoot clays and rifles out my back yard over the corn field. I can't imagine not being able to do that. I am spoiled. If I had to pack up and drive 20 miles to be able to shoot, I wouldn't get much shooting in. In the summer after planting, I do drive 20 miles on Sunday mornings to shoot skeet with the boys.
Jeff Kuss is offline   Reply With Quote