Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Dave wants to know where John borrowed the gun from..... I'd like to know where he borrowed the wife that can shoot like that from!
Jen really is one of a kind, for sure... Why she ever puts up with the likes of me - I have no idea??

To answer your and Dave's questions tho..... I borrow all my Parker's from my wife, as everything I own is hers and everything she owns is hers.... Well, you know :-)

As well, I borrowed Jen from her folks? There is a "no return" policy on that, however - which works for me

Anyway, I'll try to post a wonderful story from today... I has to do with hunting, Jen, dogs and a Parker. Its the stuff stories are told about and mental pictures are painted...

It was an incredible day...
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Beautiful!
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant Slayer View Post
Beautiful!
Another amazing day. It's snowing outside now - and just back to the cabin... And - yes - it is beautiful..!!

Here are a few shots from today... The grouse come up when you least expect them - and they are wonderful!!! I used my well-worn GH 16 GA DAM 28" today, and it didn't disappoint.

Here are some pics....

First - one of my dogs just after a point - on whoa - just before I told him to "fetch it up"...(guess which direction the grouse flew??? )

Second - a bridge before a great grouse hunting place... We walked for miles today...

3rd and 4th - just a wonderful place to hunt with incredible local scenery... Jen and I are beat. The dogs are beat...

What a wonderful day.....

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (527.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (510.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (516.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (512.3 KB, 2 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

John, those mossy woods are magic aren't they? Like an enchanted forest in places.

Look at what the pileated woodpeckers have done to that cedar at the left.

A little 7' fly rod would be perfect on those streams. Any river or stream that flows into Moosehead is bound to hold brookies and maybe even landlocked salmon, the quananiche of northern rivers and lakes.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

John, I can relate to your experience as though I were there. My wife was born in Greenville. Her parents moved the family to CT when she was in her teens, but when her dad retired from CG, He and his wife went back to the woods. He passed away a few years ago, but my wife and I decided to keep the place, and have been slowly rebuilding. We're just out of town on the Lilly Bay Rd.
My father in law was one of the early members of the snowmobile club and told me about their trek into the crash site. I shiver each time I think about how cold it was, where men just keep going because they know they have to.

I managed 4 of those frisbee birds earlier this year, up near the airport. (Sortakinda. Promised my wife's uncle I wouldn't tell. Yeah, right) I was using my then-new-to-me 16ga. lifter. Everytime I mention a different spot to her uncle or cousins, and say " 'Spose there are birds in there?" the standard response is "I spect there are"
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Edgar, did you know Pete Grass? He lived in Lily Bay for years and worked at Porter's in Greenville as a wrecker driver... among other things.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Nice country! Those woodpecker holes make good chickadee night roosts.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Hi Dean and Edgar - and all...

Yep, Dean - the mossy woods are incredible. It's almost like you don't dare step on the forest floor given that you'll disturb the moss and leave a footprint. It's as pristine a place as you will ever see...

Edgar - where I'm staying and where I'm hunting are two different places - so, I'm guessing Jen and I have driven past your place on Lily Bay Road at least a dozen times - maybe more... I did go to the local spot down by Big Wilson Stream and Wilson Pond - but, it was too crowded with two trucks parked along Outer Pleasant after the power line cut..? So , Jen and I and the dogs hunted up more by Burnham Pond and Little Indian Pond (Little Indian you can get lost getting to - unless a local shows you the secret )

Anyway - today was an outstanding finale to the week. I snowed last evening - just enough to let you know winter is about to arrive hard. We left the cabin as the sun rose and headed out with the mercury hovering at a mild 21F. We just arrived home a few minutes ago (just after 3PM) as the sun is headed down behind the mountains...

But today? Was a day which paints memories in the mind as to why we do all this - the Parker thing. The hunting thing. The dog thing. Crisp mornings, the quiet of the forest, new snow - all set the stage. A fine old double just "feels right" as well - or moreso - is "just right"...

Can't wait until next year - and was reminded of that on the way out of one of the timber areas as we left the final hunting spot today.... Why do I say that???

We were the only people in that area today - as out tire tracks and footprints were the only ones in the snow from our entry early in the AM. On the way out - a Grouse strutted across the road not 20 feet in front of the jeep. It didn't run. It didn't take flight. It "strutted" right across the road.

I stopped the jeep and just watched as it meandered into the tickets on the other side of the road - and I muttered to mostly myself - "I'll see you next year".

Being up here is just sort'a like that....

Magical.

John

Here are a few pictures from today - where we hunted without another living sole around for miles....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (517.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (554.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (529.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (525.7 KB, 2 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gotta be hard to leave country like that, but at least you leave with new experiences. Great pictures, I am green with envy.....
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Maynard For Your Post:
Visit William Maynard's homepage!
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #20
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Well guys, I am not as familiar with the area as you all probably are. My wife Julie, and I have been married only 9 years. (My 2nd marriage) but we dated for 6 years before we decided to stop living in sin. I started going up there in '96, when both her dad and brother were still alive. Warren was a real sport, and it's easy to understand why he moved back there when he retired. A real four season guy. I have done my share of exploring the lower Moosehead area, as well as lots of time off-roading in the Allegash. We pulled off the Lilly Bay Road somewhere around First Roach Pond, and told my son to take the wheel. He was 13 then, and we spent the next 3 hrs hanging on while he got the feel of driving. We've dangled a line in just about every spot bigger than a puddle, cooked on the beach what we caught and generally soaked as much in as we could. I set my parking brake years ago, but my son flies every day, and has since high school. He is as comfortable is a 185 as he is in the right seat of an HC-130. He loves floats. We discovered a birdie spot off the Scammon Road one day while picking blueberries. I see them in the road pretty much all the time, but unlike the locals, I still won't take a shot unless they're on the wing.
Dean, I called Julie's uncle a few minutes ago to ask if he knew Pete Grass, though I don't. He said "sounds familiar" but says Russell Ryder, over in the Junction, now does the towing.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: