Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 11-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Now that's a deer season and bag limit I could easily learn to live with!! I'd be filling some freezer up if I lived there. The limit on Sitka blacktails used to be 7 up here; I think it's 4 or 5 now. It makes for interesting hunting as the local brown bears on Kodiak and other islands have learned that a gunshot is the dinner bell. You have to shoot your deer, run to it and get the innards out and haul ass for the barn before a bear comes a runnin' looking for a meal. A lot of hunters have had to drop their deer and let the bear have it. Sounds funny sitting here but I'm told it's not one bit amusing when you're standing there with a deer on your back confronted by a drooling brownie!

10yrs or so ago when you went to get doe tags in southeastern Michigan for $3ea they'd just ask you how many you wanted. There seemed to be no limit to how many you could have. I think now that Michigan has deer seasons from Sept 1? until February 1? Or is it Oct 1? Whatever, it's long and is divided into Bow, primitive firearm, firearm, late firearm.... My family there has only gotten one so far.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #22
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L. Benson Sr. View Post
Charlie: That is got to be one of the most liberal hunting seasons that I have seen.Can anyone top that in thier state. Good luck Charlie. Thomas
Thomas,
I believe that in some of the southern states like South Carolina and Georgia you can take one or two a day during their season. Here in CT if you hunt all the seasons (bow, rifle, muzzel loader) you can legally take somewhere around 10-12. Certain zones also have an extended season and some allow baiting to try to reduce deer numbers. Between myself, my son and grandson we have eight in the freezer already and now hunt very selectively and will take one or two more before the end of December.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #23
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,550 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Larry: I think that is just great that a family can pretty much solve a grocery bill problem buy harvesting game.It kind of was that way when I grew up in minnesota.We would harvest everything seeing how I was the youngest of 14 kids we needed the food. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #24
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

took and got on my stand at 3.00 pm seen one small deer itlike to have never let me be..finally left about 4..00 another medium sized doe came and grazed awhile but she heard something and sloly left the small field... at 4.30there was 2 large does and a smaller deerthat all came into the field... the small deer had a lot of white on her sides she maybe hewas easy to spot...the lead deer finally spotted the bugger in the wood pile which was me...i almost laughed out loud at her she pulled some of the strangest jumps and body movements and feet stamping ive ever seen a deer do...but nary a move did i make she finally started back eating but kept a watchful eye on me..i had to stay did black dark to keepfrom spooking them..they finally got there fill and left and i was thankful....they were just to far out for a shot with the old 8 but some day.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #25
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,550 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Charlie: Just keep at it and you will be successful I know. I don,t think I have ever seen a picture of your 8 Ga. do you have one posted. Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #26
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yes i have the old 8 posted you probably have to clickon my name and its in there some where...this evening i swapped hunting ares had seen a good buck in this little scope of woods couple days ago...i set in my blind till dark thirty with the mammer back on the right barrel but nairy a deer was seen...shoulda shot the squirl that was out in front of me that kept barking at me..first time the old red coat has let me down it may be in a slump like destrey hope not....thomas my old 8 aint much to look at barrels been cut to 26 1/4 inches but it makes the old piece handle good... charlie
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was raining and cold here 40 degrees....got to my stand about quarter till 4 this evening i took every thing but my rattling horns with me but nothing enticed a buck to show his self
boy was the gun wet took me 30 minutes to wipe and clean...think i ll get me a beater to hunt in the rain next time did not take the 8 i was afraid they mite be a doe show up and i did not want to clean one this evening... charlie
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #28
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was still misty rain this evening temperature at 38 degrees... real good duck huntin weather but it makes the deer stir too..cold rainy weather rough on animals they burn a lot of energy incold weather and the rain makes it worse for them so this is the reason all animals get out and try to round up some grub....thats when i like to be over lookin a food plot and thats what i did this evening...saw 7 deer all togetherone a pretty nice buck but it was getting late and i did not have good shot so let him pass for now... 2 young does almost in range for the parker 8.... soon.... charlie
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #29
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Go Charlie! You have the right approach: perseverance and patience.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #30
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

Old Geezer, Charlie's eight gauge is pictured in the "albums", don't know which page, but you should look at all the albums. They are very entertaining.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: