Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

The Weather Man is a Liar.....
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Default The Weather Man is a Liar.....

All day yesterday they were saying it was going to snow through the night and stop around 10am. I was excited, snow at daylight usually means the geese will fly hard and early. Got up this morning at 5am to head for the Mud Hole, should have made it 4:30 but what did I know.

We had a couple inches of snow during the night but the sky was clearing when I was loading the truck, so much for the weather man and his reports. The snow made driving slow so I was running about 10 minutes late when I hit the field. Wasn't in any real rush as I'd not seen a duck on the place in more than a week, figured it was just going to be a goose hunt.

Some ice had formed during the night so I had to make a new hide in a different spot. Got that done and started throwing decoys when 20 mallards come out of nowhere and try to land in them. Threw the last couple and headed for the new hide, before I could get there another 8 try the same thing. Rush to load the Swamp Angel, thinking I was in for a shoot. I'm loaded and ready but the loads stayed in the gun, never saw another bird all morning.

I stayed till 10am but the geese never flew, it was below freezing the whole time and I guess they were waiting for it to warm up. Had to head to the office so I'll check in the morning, and if it's not frozen over, try to make another hunt. Supposed to be in the low 20's tonight so it could glaze up pretty easy. I don't have high hopes......

Destry

P.S. Saw a pair of Sandhill Cranes about 9am. That's the latest I've ever seen one in Michigan, usually the first cold wind and they're long gone.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
EMcILHENNY
Forum Associate

Member Info

It has been my experience that the geese wait until it warms up.They do not want to waste the energy,I had a great shoot in Maryland some years ago.We had 24 inches of snow,and the guides built an igloo as a blind.Actually blocks of snow.They spread a couple of bales of soybean straw on top of the snow.It was 5 degrees and the geese did not move until 11 am. But then it was a shoot,I mean a shoot.I had left the sandwiches in the car,frozen solid .Who cared.
Edmund McIlhenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I agree with that, on really cold days the geese don't move till later for the most part. But when snow is actually falling, like it was supposed to that morning, they'll start flying at daylight a lot of the time. The falling snow makes them nervous I guess, they must know it covers their food sources, so they want to get out for a feed. Last day here in Michigan tomorrow, I'm certain the slough is frozen over. Might run out this afternoon and take a look though. If there's open water anywhere near a place I can make a hide I'll give it a try for a few hours.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Weathermen........
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

sunny andwill be about 65 dotay here in old miss...wore a short sleve yesterday... hope you find that open water......charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
EMcILHENNY
Forum Associate

Member Info

I agree with you about flying when beginning to snow.You have gotta eat !
Edmund McIlhenny is offline   Reply With Quote