Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Maine Grouse Hunting
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Default Maine Grouse Hunting

Just a quick note that today was fantastic..! Jen, the dogs and I are in Moosehead Lake Region of Maine doing a bit of Grouse hunting. The weather was perfect this AM and the dogs were better.

Attached are a few pictures from today. The first is the "A Team" - Jen with my little 20 VHE and our dogs. She limited out by 10AM..

Next pictures is some of the cover we hunted - about 100 yards from this picture the dogs pointed up 5 grouse, but I took fewer with a 16 GA DAM Parker.....

Last picture is one of the old logging roads we walked for miles.

It is beautiful up here - and as I sit next to my dogs, my wife in front of a fire in a log cabin, posting this......

Life couldn't be sweeter, as we are doing it all again tomorrow...

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (324.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (518.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (478.3 KB, 10 views)
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Wonderful pictures John! I hope you guys are having a great time(and I know you are). But I gotta ask ya.....Where did ya borrow the 20 gauge?.....
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Ahah!! I know exactly where you are hunting! I recognize that leaning cedar in your second picture! And I know that cut-over in the third picture... there aren't very many areas that were cut over by the paper companies twenty years ago or so and I know just where that one is. In the Kokadjo area, right?

By the way, Kathy has the exact same shoes that Jen has and she likes them a lot. Very light and waterproof and still supportive - Good choice Jen, did you get them at KTP?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

John,

Pretty women with guns. I love it but how about some details such as barrel length, gauge, reproduction... All that knowing that your wife must be hunting with a Parker!

Have a great hunt!
Mark
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Today was difficult hunting.. Hard rain in the AM and then the wind picked up a blew hard. The dogs had a hard time picking up a scent - and while we were skunked, several grouse went up - and had a wonderful day... I can't really describe some of the areas up here, except to try to tell you how absolutely beautiful and pristine they are. For example, this afternoon, we hunted in a stand pf packed spruce - and the ground was a velvet cover of moss. We put up a few grouse in that area - but if they were more than a few yards away - they remained unseen...

Anyway - a couple of replies....

Dean - yep - Jen's boots are from KTP, as are mine.. Like - I would shop for outdoor gear anywhere else???

Mark - about that Parker Jen is holding... It's a 20 GA VHE, original beavertail, original 26" barrels, PG and is a DelGrego restoration from way before I owned it? It's my primary hunting gun and it's taken more woodcock and grouse than I deserve - and pheasant (which are stcked back here - still fun, but - well, you know...??). It just feels "right" and has for years.

About the pics from today....

One of the rivers we crossed....

The next pictures are from the B-52 crash site.. I wasn't really aware of it before we set out today - but, when we stumbled upon it - I unloaded the gun and brought the dogs in. The dogs seemed to sense what Jen and I did - an eerie silence out of respect for the lost airmen from that fateful flight and night. I can't explain it...

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo_A.jpg (520.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo_B.jpg (530.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo_C.jpg (524.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo_D.jpg (521.7 KB, 11 views)
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

John,Thanks for the update and pictures. That crash site sent a chill down my back. You did the right thing.....
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Sounds like great country to hunt John.... and that it's a good thing you took Jen along if you wanted birds to take home! I've been on a lot of crash sights like that up here: B-24's, B-29's, B-17's, P-39's, F-105, L-4, and more. They all make you sit down and quietly wonder about the guys who went in with them.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

John, I can't read the monument... when did that B-52 go in?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Hi guys!

Many thanks - and Richard, you are right about bringing Jen along As well, this really is stunning country. On most of the logging roads we take to reach where we want to hunt, we have yet to see another vehicle. In the woods, we've yet to see another hunter - or see a parked vehicle?. It's magical in many ways...

As well, Dean - I took the picture with my iPhone and don't have a computer to upload the picture to in its largest size (I'm writing this from my tablet). I'll upload it when I get home next week, OK?

In the meantime, I found this link which shows a bit of history from the crash site:

http://www.moosehead.net/history/B-52.html

My best to all!

John
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post:
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Dave wants to know where John borrowed the gun from..... I'd like to know where he borrowed the wife that can shoot like that from!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post: