Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

could not let her by
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default could not let her by

sliped on the red checked hunting coat that destrey got for me this evening gotmy gun and shells and crawled aboard the old artic cat...was at my hunting spot in about 10 minutes got into the shooting house and loaded up the old 7 x57 r settled back just enjoying the view all of a sudden i seen a flash of something it turned out to be a large gray squirl..this fellow entertained me for over a hour .... at 4 30 got my bleat call gave a couple calls in less than one minute out of the woods into a large doe came..she was very nervous as there was some dogs barking in the distance...slowly she came across the field i slowly pushed the safty off theold gun i had preset the rifles trigger...in other words a set trigger... i drew the scope to my eye and pulled the cross hairs just behindthe front leg and just lightly touched the trigger...i was suprized that the doe did not fall in her tracks but she ran for about50 steps before colapseing... she was a large doe between 90 and 100 lbs i watched her long enough to make sure she had no young with her.. she had notraised any young ones this year she was old enough just one of them things i guess... as usal had forgot my drag rope so my son loaned me his large leather belt to drag her with about 30 steps we loaded her up in my sons pickup and as of rite now shes headed for the deep freeze...i had let this deer pass monday evening but could not let her pass the 2 nd time... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

ah, charlie, the great 7 X 57, can't beat them, handloaded for mice to moose. You are a discriminating man when it comes to rifles and shotguns! I have a CZ set-trigger bought new nearly 60 years ago, never failed me.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

slipped on that oldred checked coat again grabbed my 8 ga parker and my 7 x 57 r got to my shooting house and got set up...both guns loaded and ready for action ..wasnot there for more than 10 miutes when young doe came into the field i was over looking...here was the 8 ga s chance doe was at about30 steps i slowly cocked the hammer and squezed the trigger...missed the doe with the righr barrel and she then run after the shot then she stopped but was out of range for the left barrel...so switched to the rifle andshes on her way to the fridge as of now...got to practice some more with 8 ga did not think i could miss but i did was hoping to have a good storey to tell but oh well another time.... destrey this is one lucky coat.... charlie
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Charlie,

How did you miss with that hammer gun at 30 yards! It's pretty easy actually, I've done it myself. Glad the old coat is working out for you, I liked it myself but didn't need two.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
John Havard
PGCA Member

Member Info

Way to go Charlie. Those dry does make awfully good meat in the freezer!
John Havard is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit John Havard's homepage!
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile

Charlie: You are a killing machine. I love to cut out those back straps and fry them lightly and fix some mashed potato's and gravy and man my mouth is just watering right now. I make alot of hamburger myself out of venison and pork. Good shooten Thomas
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Good job Charlie! If she was only 30 paces away you're probably lucky you missed her unless you didn't want to grind your burger back home!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

picked up my soninlaw and 2 grandson this morning at 8.30 am one of them is 7 years old and the other one 14...i loaned the 7 year old my 22 marlin auto rifle and the other one a hr 44 mag...the 7 year oldwould only be able toi load his gun when we seen something...we were on our stands about 45 minutes and we seen 2 deer but to brushy of an area to see what they were...boys wanted to move so we went a couple hundred yards and made another stand..7 year old and his dadwalked up old road while drew the 14 year old set over looking a nice hollow...had been thbere 10 minutes drew hollered papa off ran 2 more does...had to explain to drew that you dont make a lt of noise when you see deer...ha ha well the other grandson and dad came back to where we where.. the tyler the 7 year old decided he didnot like deer hunting said you had to be too queit...we talked him into staying for another hour so off we go to new stands.... put my drew over looking a small creek and i moved down from him about 30 yards settled down by a big tree..in about 5 miutes drew fired a shot a big doe came running by me i never could get her in my scope good so she passed unharmed...in about 10 minutes drew shot again he hollered i gottem this time...it was a young doe just good eating size...we done the picture taking things and dressed the deer..this was his 2 nd deer but reall his first witrh no help from nobody else... got to go now headed back to the woods bucks only for me this evening..tierd skinning... charlie
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

sat till dark did not see the first thing...now i can set down read read somebody else tales... charlie
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

You boys are really getting into the deer this year. I've not hunted them in probably 20 years, makes me want to give one a try with a Parker.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote