Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Too Bad
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,266 Times in 12,387 Posts

Default Too Bad

Here's a very interesting Parker. The seller calls it a "field gun" but I'd be witting to bet it was originally a competition trap or live bird gun. It sports a Miller trigger, a Monte Carlo stock, a modified safety (either pinned or has some mechanism in the tang that affects the safety) but it's too bad the barrels have been poorly "mono-blocked" and the checkering is wrong for a Grade 3. Anyway, it has some interesting features.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=253810839
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,306 Times in 446 Posts

Boy that old girl has had some serious gunsmithing done to her. I wish it was listed in the serialization book. It looks as if the checking is either covering up a wrist repair or a butt graft. The trigger guard tang has been welded up to make a straight grip tang and isn't wearing a serial # like a factory Parker would.

Too bad about the cobbled up sleeving job as well. My opinion for what's it worth is it's a parts gun, look's like a good action and forearm and not much more.

I just wish the old girl could talk so she could tell us about the things she's done and lived to tell about it.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Who is he trying to fool with that description ?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Not me- or you either
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Not me- or you either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
Who is he trying to fool with that description ?
Like so many "numbnuts" on gunbusters or G.I. gastro-int. sites- these guys don't know crap from Crisco- this parkers was probably a grade 3 DH with Damascus barrels, at one time Frank LeFever and sons did a barrel job on older Damascus barreled doubles- and speaking of Frank (German root origin- tip of a spear) Auggie or Frank Pachmayr (not the way this clown miss-spelled it, Gott in Himmel) would say "Alles ist verruckt" if they read this description of the POS clear spacer to a Pachmayr pad as being done by that great Germanic gunsmithing firm migrated to CA- and anyone can install a single trigger, doing it right- a whole 'nother ball game- Cabela's has an older DH 12 with a modified Trojan set of No 2 frame barrels with short top rib anda Trojan forearm at $2500, shifting gears to my favorite sidelocks- another clown has a Crown Grade 12 Smith described as being built in 1902- a Monogram- yes- a Crown- no-- unless he hit a typo and meant 1920--

So many clowns trying out for the band leaders job as they sense some $ in those old vintage classics we love- but they come ill-prepared and never learned the basic "7 P's" of preparation- shame!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,623 Times in 4,628 Posts

Hard to tell what all is going on there. But a straight grip conversion for sure and the checkering on the wrist is completely odd to say the least. I could surely use a few parts off that gun for myself. but not at that price.
Unread 09-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,880 Times in 4,761 Posts

Not everyone is an expert on double guns. This fellow gives us the opportunity to look at a legible picture at least.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Good eye Dudley-- you "Do Right" indeed
Unread 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Good eye Dudley-- you "Do Right" indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Hard to tell what all is going on there. But a straight grip conversion for sure and the checkering on the wrist is completely odd to say the least. I could surely use a few parts off that gun for myself. but not at that price.
I could see maybe just under 4 figures for this as a Project Parker- BUT I want to test fire it and check out the single trigger first. I think this dude has a case of "newbieparkerprice-itis" he heard that Parkers, like pianos, have intrincsic value- maybe- like the A1-S Jack Puglisi bought from Julia's- or a Steinway played at Carnegie Hall by Van Cligburn- but not a "bawdyhouse Grinnell brothers spinet from Canal Street" or a reworked and re-done grade 3 12 gauge Parker-as common as 16d nails on a building site--IMO
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

poorly mono blocked? looks cosmetic only...the price seems fair for what it is?
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

i a gree the price is not to bad..would still be a good shooter in my opinion...i would not be ashamed to tote it around.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

I agree with Brian, nice parts gun. And yes I think the seller doesn't even know how bad the condition is.... Would not be a bad shooter if the price was lower.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post: