Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #41
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Dean in no way was i referring to Addieville but the club she said that she belongs to may have the people i am talking about. Out of the 2 i belong to 1 has a surplus of them the other none.
The wrong habits that come from doing it on your own or with poor instruction lead to leaving it or a lifetime of correcting it.
I suppose forty years ago when I first became intrested in the clay target games I was fortunate . The first person that took an intrest in helping me was an Class A skeet shooter but he had the ability to get an idea across in a way I atleast could put it into use . Sorry to say that fine gentleman hasn't been with us in over twenty years .

Latter I got instruction from a fine fellow at Fairfax R&G thats still shooting skeet and has the all time high total for NSSA registered skeet targets . He's also been NSSA All American in several of the concurrent categories .

I wasn't the best at skeet by any means 30+ years ago but what bits and pieces of success I had over the years can be attributed to their efforts to try and help me .

I buy into the theory that "usually" you get what you paid for , but with the two gentleman I mentioned they wanted nothing from their help . I honestly believe they derived a great amount of satisfaction from helping someone increase their ability .

I dunno if I ever told this story or not but I'll remmember it until they set me on fire and put my ashes in the box . I'd been shooting in the mid to upper 90's at skeet for a couple years but never gone 100 straight and to be honest it was working on me . We were at Fairfax R&G shooting a registered event think I'd gone 96 with the 410 and 98 with the 20 on saturday . Sunday morning we were shooting the 28 and I was in my usual lead off spot and my friend that is now passed was shooting drag . I made it thru the first box the second box the third box and was into the fourth box . The further I went without a miss the faster I'll shoot anyway the guy shooting in the 2 spot was my old grouse hunting partner and he'd grab my belt every now and then to slow me down between stations . When we got on station 8 for the final box I crushed the first target and as I called for the second target I felt my cap being lifted LOL's . My old deceased friend had my cap and I crushed the bird for my first 100 straight . When I turned around there were between thrity and forty people standing there to light up my cap , the other gentleman I mentioned was in the group .
Unread 10-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #42
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Great story Craig.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2020, 10:40 PM   #43
Kerilynn Viccione
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
Yes. And I wouldn't assume she doesn't know how to shoot a shotgun.
I actually don’t know how to shoot a shotgun. but I do appreciate the vote of confidence!!
Kerilynn
Kerilynn Viccione is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerilynn Viccione For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #44
Kerilynn Viccione
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you for sharing that story, Craig. It’s the kind of experience that imprints on your soul and I’m not sure everyone is lucky enough to have such a memory. So glad you do and so glad you shared it.
Kerilynn
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerilynn Viccione For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #45
Kerilynn Viccione
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buckley View Post
I loved seeing your collection of Parkers Kerilynn. The shooting sports are becoming more and more popular for woman and it is great to have you among our ranks. I have two daughters, 9 and 7, who I have target shooting with a .22 and love to spend time reloading shot gun shells with me and have shown interest in my shooting and hunting hobbies. If you spend enough time on this forum you will learn a lot of things about Parkers and other makes of guns as well.
Thanks Matt, and I’ve no doubt your girls love sharing your hobbies. I still love hanging out with and learning from my dad. He always made me feel just as capable as “the boys” and that’s something that will serve your daughters well, too. They will be strong, confident women who can connect with all different people and have no boundaries in their interests. They’ll always remember feeling included.
Kerilynn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kerilynn Viccione For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #46
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

Back in my firearms instructor days, I used to hold handgun classes for women.
I found women to be very fast learners, because they didn't come in with preconceived notions, or ego issues regarding technique, or whatever.
Since those days, I have taught basic firearms safety, and shooting to quite a few young people. Including a Boy Scout Pack, which was done in camp up in Utah.
Trust me, there were some hard headed young men in that group, but we got it done.
(Everyone who signed up received their Merit Badges)
Probably the most rewarding experiences I have ever had regarding firearms!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #47
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

The girls always seem to be easier to coach than the boys. I've not been able to get my two girls into shooting but my oldest loves to fly fish. So I've got that going for me.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post: