Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Lifter for Trap - Uneven Lock Wear?
Unread 01-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Default Lifter for Trap - Uneven Lock Wear?

I have been shooting trap for the past few weeks something I haven’t done in 20 years. I had picked up a used BT-99 a while ago, but I don’t like how it is designed to shot high. I have to change the way I shoot, which I worry will mess me up for sporting clays and hunting.

I brought my 1880 Lifter last week and tonight and did very well with it…22s, 21s, 20s, which is good for me and slightly better than I was doing with the BT-99. I got a few looks at first, but the lifter is doing very well and it’s fun to talk about the gun’s history and Parkers in general. This is one of my go to Parkers, a Grade 2 Equivalent with 32” barrels choked tight and the same in both barrels.

My question is should I alternate which side of the barrel I am shooting so I don’t put wear on just the right lock?

I thought about that tonight since I have been only using the right barrel/lock. I decided to shoot the back trigger on stations 2 and 4 and it messed me up a bit(cost me 3-5 birds at least in my mind I got 17s and 18s on those rounds). I was thinking I could practice and get better at shooting the back trigger first, which would help.

I was curious to see what the rest of you are doing when you shoot trap with a hammer gun and if I am overthinking this?

Thank you!
Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1880Lifter32-forumb.jpg (204.9 KB, 6 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Actually I do just that alternate between right barrel then left barrel whether I'm shooting a hammer or hammerless gun when shooting trap.
Unread 01-18-2019, 12:05 AM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Not a hammer gun but I’ve got a VH I shoot trap with when the inclination strikes . I’ll switch some but it’s usually because the barrel got to hot . A splinter forend is not made for fast trap squads when you wanna shoot really good scores .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I will usually alternate one position all five shots with one barrel - next position all five shots with the other barrel and so forth. If you have trouble and miss shots because of a different hand position I don't know what to tell you but it's not the gun. Trap is enough of a mind game without worrying about stuff like that. I recommend you try my method - switch barrels/triggers only at a new station and stay with that barrel for all five shots.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2019, 01:02 AM   #5
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Thanks for all of the good advice. I had a feeling I should be alternating shots in some fashion. When I alternated barrels for first time tonight it was definitely giving me somewhat of a mental block.

My last round I did do what you suggested Dean, and I liked that better. I think I need some more practice so I don't even think about it. It shouldn't be a big deal, but it was getting in my head because it was something different.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

I shoot a good bit of trap, 3 to 4 days a week. Usually with an SBT. But lately I've also been shooting the 34 inch Voorhees' BHE. It's choked full and full but the right barrel appears to be a little tighter. I started off alternating barrels with each shot. Then each post. Then I tried a round just shooting the right barrel. Then just the left barrel. I finally decided sticking with one barrel (the right) all the time worked best for me. I think it had to do with hand/finger placement, just more comfortable. And trap is such a mental game. Got 25 straight with the old girl the last time out with her.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use the back trigger , that gives me better control
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I also use the back trigger but only because the length of pull on my hammer gun is slightly longer than my other guns. In the 6-8 years I've been using this gun for trap I haven't noticed any bad effects from using only one barrel.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

I have shot 2 W.C Scott hammer guns at skeet and at station 1 am in the habit of shooting the back trigger , both would double. If shooting right then left no doubling. These are well worn guns and my thinking is over there lives the front trigger has had a lot of use and wear. Using the front trigger first cures the problem.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
I have shot 2 W.C Scott hammer guns at skeet and at station 1 am in the habit of shooting the back trigger , both would double. If shooting right then left no doubling. These are well worn guns and my thinking is over there lives the front trigger has had a lot of use and wear. Using the front trigger first cures the problem.
Reminds me of my first try with my Grade 2 lifter 10 gauge . On station one I shot the high bird with the right barrel left unloaded , shot the low bird with the right barrel left unloaded then loaded both for the doubles called for the birds pulled the front trigger and oh my two loads of 1 1/4,ounce #8’s obliterated the high bird and opened my eyes . Hadn’t thought to try the right barrel with the left cocked . As one would expect that’s crap has been fixed . Now EVERY time I get a hammer gun this gets checked both ways .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote