Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
"That's Ruff" a new grouse hunting book
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Default "That's Ruff" a new grouse hunting book

A couple of issues ago in "Parker Pages" Art Wheaton introduced us to a book by George King of Pennsylvania entitled "That's Ruff" and I sent for one of the limited editions, numbered of a run of 100 and signed by the author. I received my copy in just a couple of weeks and the first chance I got I sat down and started reading it.
George King is the inspiration behind the "Ancient and Honorable Order of Brush Worn Partridge Hunters" which was an organization of about 3,000 strong of hunters of the Ruffed Grouse from every part of the US and Canada where grouse in huntable numbers could be found. George printed a newsletter "Grouse Cover" and mailed it to each member between the years of 1969 through 1972.
"That's Ruff" is a hardcover of 272 pages, illustrated, and is filled with some of the best grouse hunting stories, Art says "some serious, some whimsical, all "pure grouse!" George lets us read some letters in a chapter titled "Letters From Legends" between himself and "Tap" Tapply, Frank Woolner and Burt Spiller. Between the stories and chapters are what George calls "Feathers in the Wind" which are short anecdotes - thoughts, poems and observations.
I believe "That's Ruff" is destined in time to become a classic among grouse hunting literature - certainly equal to so many of the honored and venerable titles like "Grouse Feathers" and "More Grouse Feathers", "New England Grouse Shooting", "Fun With Game Birds", "Partridge Shortenin'" and "Grouse and Grouse Hunting".
George finishes the book with two chapters that describe, probably better than any other attempt I have ever read, the lore, mystique and culture of grouse hunting and the grouse hunter and I think you will agree.

The Book is $22.95 plus $4.95 shipping and handling, from Concord House Publishing, Box 283, Claridge, PA 15623. A Limited Edition (which is getting very close to being sold out) of 100 copies, with a "Brush Worn" frontispiece is available, signed and numbered by the author at $39.95 plus $4.95 s&h, from George King, 5015 Bushy Run Road, Jeannette, PA 15644. Of course PA residents must pay the 6% sales tax.

You will cherish this book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0033.JPG (257.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0034.JPG (279.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0036.JPG (246.6 KB, 14 views)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: