Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Putting some years back on a Lefever B grade
Unread 03-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,412 Times in 4,592 Posts

Default Putting some years back on a Lefever B grade

This Early thumb-opening Lefever is a special order gun that is labeled as a B grade, but possesses many attributes that are far above "typical" B quality.

It is a 12g. 2 barrel set that is a Small Hook cocking gun, but it started life as a Cocking rod gun. At some point it was sent back to Lefever and the cocking mechanism was upgraded, and the second barrel set added. Something else odd about that time is that the gun was actually re-serial numbered. To a number that was about 2,000 numbers later than the original number. The outside of the gun bears only one number, but the insides of the gun have both numbers stamped on them. Anyway, just interesting information... The owner of this gun may well write a LACA newsletter article on it, so those who are LACA members, can read his thoughts on the gun.

The gun came to me missing it's horn forend tip completely and the void was filled in with sawdust and glue. The wood finish was nearly gone and the checkering pretty much worn smooth. The original leather faced silvers pad was falling apart. The purpose of my work on it was to repair any glaring issues with it mechanically/cosmetically and to put a few years back on the gun, but maintain a used look that was overall fitting of the condition of the metal.

There was some damage to the edge of the inletting for the horn forend tip that had to be patched before a new horn tip could be custom shaped to fit the existing inletting in the forend. Once fitted and installed, the tip could be shaped and profiled in the proper style.

The wood was all de-oiled and fresh finish was applied but all marks of age and use retained. The checkering was then fully recut on the wrist and forend. 26 lines per inch on the wrists. 26 and 32 lines per inch on the forend.

Ultrasonic cleaning of the action did good for the engraving on the action. The pointer on the one lock plate is fantastic! Before assembly, a broken firing pin had to be replaced and a new set screw for it made. Finally a new silvers pad was installed and a leather face put on it as the original pad had.

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

A few photos of the forend tip repair.
The right side lower side of the inletting was completely broken out. A wood patch has already been installed.

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg
Allen Peterson, Andrew Clark, Bill Graham, Bill Jolliff, Bill Mullins, Bill Murphy, Bill Zachow, Bob Kimble, Bob Roberts, bob weeman, Brett Hoop, Craig Larter, Daniel G Rainey, Daryl Corona, Dave Noreen, Dave Tatman, David Holes, David Lien, Eric Eis, Eric Estes, Frank Cronin, Garry L Gordon, Gary Carmichael Sr, Gary Laudermilch, George Davis, Harold Lee Pickens, Henry McRoberts, Jacob Duke, Jeff Christie, Jerry Harlow, Joe Dreisch, John Davis, Karl Ferguson, keavin nelson, Ken Descovich, Ken Hill, Kirk Potter, Larry Stauch, Linn Matthews, Lloyd Bernstein, Louis Caissie, MARK KIRCHER, Mark Ray, Marty Kohler, Michael Earls, Michael Meeks, Mike McKinney, Mills Morrison, Pete Kappes, Ralph English, Reggie Bishop, Richard Flanders, Rick Andrejat, Robert Brooks, Robin Lewis, Russell E. Cleary, Sara LeFever, Scott Janowski, scott kittredge, Shawn Wayment, Stephen Hodges, Steve Hagen, Steve Huffman, Thomas L. Benson Sr., todd allen, Wayne Owens
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

I have seen several Lefevers with the horn tip destroyed. I own one that has been repaired, a wonderful E Grade 16 gauge push lever. Some ham fists don't know what the button is for and pry the forend with a metal tool trying to remove it.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Wow! What a nice repair job...and a beautiful gun.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Michael Kitterman
Forum Associate

Member Info

What a beautiful early Lefever! What is the mfg year of this example? I own four Lefevers ranging from 1897 to 1909, one a DS 12 ga with extra fancy wood and near perfect coloring thought to have belonged to a Lefever family member, but have no history to confirm this. Brian your craftsmanship and attention to the smallest details speaks for itself. Well done!
Michael Kitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This gun is in the 11,000 serial range. And the earlier number mentioned is in the 9,000 range.
Unread 03-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Well done Brian.

I love looking at higher grade Lefevers. They are like snow flakes and most of the time there is a unique feature that make them so interesting and diverse.

I notice the "wings" (lack of a better term) on the barrels. I've seen them with one but this is the first time for me seeing two "wings".

Thanks for sharing.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes, that is the first gun that I and the owner, along with others, has seen with double wings.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 03-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,390 Times in 3,073 Posts

Is that a Nichols & Lefever ?
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

No. A Lefever Arms gun.
Unread 03-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

You sure made that old gun shine. Great job Brian.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote