Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

To blend or not to blend.. that is the question.
Unread 12-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default To blend or not to blend.. that is the question.

I just purchased a DHE 16 and the stock fits me much beyond my expectations. It is a straight grip with SST and the stock has an extension on it that seems to be well done and ends at a non peroid correct rubber pad.

I am trying to decide whether to have the stock blended or not and am hoping to hear opinions of folks who have maybe done it and we're pleased or regretted it.

I will post photos soon.
"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
John Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Looking forward to seeing pictures--I have a DHE 16 w/ straight grip that weighs 6 lbs . what length barrels ? There are some talented guys out there that could probably make you happy, Mark Larson out in Oregon comes to mind--he has a nice website, Google it.
Finding any grouse in Ohio?? I hunt Belmont, Jefferson, and Monroe counties and find very few birds, and decline to shoot those I find, but doubt my conservation efforts would have any effect.
Unread 12-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

Even the best stock “painting” jobs only look good from 3 feet away. The result is much like the look of tenite stocks on Stevens/Savage guns. It looks like plastic and sometimes can lack fine detail.
The end result IS worth the money for what you get as opposed to the alternative. It just does not pass for the real thing.
All my opinion of course.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
Unread 12-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Looking forward to seeing pictures--I have a DHE 16 w/ straight grip that weighs 6 lbs . what length barrels ? There are some talented guys out there that could probably make you happy, Mark Larson out in Oregon comes to mind--he has a nice website, Google it.
Finding any grouse in Ohio?? I hunt Belmont, Jefferson, and Monroe counties and find very few birds, and decline to shoot those I find, but doubt my conservation efforts would have any effect.

I have never hunted Grouse in Ohio. I am actually living in northern Michigan now. I have heard that SE Ohio used to be wonderful when all the farms in the hills were overgrowing. I was in athens last year and I don't know that I saw a single spot of secondary growth forest.

My barrels are 28" how about yours? Would love to see your gun as well. What adorns your floor plate?

John
Unread 12-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

This is just my opinion, but if this were my gun, I'd send it off to Mark Larson for some wood graining magic and a more appropriate red/Silvers type pad.

I guarantee you that when Mark is finished, YOU will be the only person who knows that the buttstock actually has an extension.

Mark just finished up a Churchill stock for me, and will ship it after the Holiday. He's done others for me with outstanding results.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
Mark Beasland
PGCA Member

Member Info

If I was doing it I would redo the extension with a better matching piece of wood and original butt plate.

Look at several examples of who ever is doing the work. Quality varies wildly . Dennis Earl Smith is the best I have seen.
Mark Beasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mark Beasland's homepage!
Unread 12-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Well, you are in good grouse country now! I spent 16 days in the UP this fall. My DHE 16 has 26" cyl/m barrels on the O frame.
Very nice gun of yours, but certainly think I would do something about that extension also. Look at Mark Larson's website.
Oh yeah, mine has the flying turnips( ducks) on the floorplate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141220_132950417.jpg (532.1 KB, 9 views)
Unread 12-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,346 Times in 372 Posts

Recently I bought a GH that also had a stock that had been cut way down. I considered having an extension added to it but I wanted it to be right and in the end I opted to spend $2k for a new buttstock and have it done by one of our members. I got the wood I wanted, the gun fits me perfectly and am very happy the way it turned out. In your situation, you could have a SSBP installed and the gun would really stand out. I just feel these high quality guns are heirlooms and deserve to be as correct as possible. Cheers!
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post:
Larson before and after 3” extension
Unread 12-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Default Larson before and after 3” extension

Before and after 3” extension on a 20 bore lindner daly.
Mark does nice work

8837EA99-4C0C-4591-B7ED-AC7BF6C2ADA4.jpeg

AEC1A01F-C814-45F0-8DBA-9AD0802B5E2F.jpg