Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 04-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I undersand Keith was gravely ill last year. Does anyone know how he is doing health wise?
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
I undersand Keith was gravely ill last year. Does anyone know how he is doing health wise?
I don't know anything about Keith's health and had not heard that he was ill. He looks hail and hearty to me. His hair is still inky black. He stands tall. He has taken on an apprentice who I believe he said is a cousin. The kid is a nice fellow. Looks like an NFL quarterback and seems eager to learn.

Keith told me that he is planning to retire and slowly turn the biz over to his apprentice, which causes me to concur about his possible poor health, but he doesn't seem to be in a great hurry to hang it up. Cody is working hard and he usually answers their phone, but so does Keith. Cody is going to school on my gun, but Keith has always been a stickler for quality and I'll bet he is watching over my gun well. The several guns that he has worked on for me came back very nice.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have had several sets of barrels done by Dale Edmonds and the cost was $300 and it took a couple of months. If you PM me I'll see if I can find his contact info. I asked Brad about doing some barrels and he quoted me from 400-600 depending on the condition. There is no fast way to do these it's an art form. Send your barrels during the off season and you should be fine.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have just stepped in the door coming from Keith Kearcher's shop. His nephew, Cody Kearcher is working with him and he did my gun. He worked on my very plain O grade L.C. Smith.

I thought the overall cost was high. I have yet to take pictures, but I was ASAP.

Gun was re-browned, bore polished, it's still a bit rough, but I think it'll shoot okay, chokes opened to IC and Mod, checkering recut (cost $300!) action was taken apart and cleaned and the safety was repaired. I'm going to try the gun at skeet and clays. Keith declared that it'd be safe to shoot standard low PSI shells. The chambers measured okay for 3 & 3/4 inch shells. I have a case of RST 8's that I'll try first, just for grins.

The fee was $1,070. Am now "into" the gun $1400 which is more by about $500, at least, than the gun is worth. I am, however; generally pleased with the quality of the work..again, I'll take pics. It took about a month to complete.

Oh, I saw a high grade Parker in the shop. Looked finished and ready to send out. Is it one of you guy's guns? Gun looks wonderful...bout as close to new as I've seen. Has a raised rib, full case colors, fine stock, liquid steel barrels...blued...maybe blacked.

Having too much invested in a gun doesn't really bother me...I don't collect for resale. I am a shooter. But my wife, when I told her the price, was fit to be tied. I didn't think it would cost that much...oh well. I think the swelling will go down in a few days.
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Oh, Keith said he is healthy as a horse. He had heard that he was at death's door too. Said people must have thought he was sick because he is heading to retirement. Anyway, Keith is fine and he is dedicated to training his nephew, Cody in the business. I think the kid will do fine. He is serious about the work.

When I peeked into his shop the two guys were working away like Santa's helpers.

Steve
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,206 Times in 12,371 Posts

I believe it was Kirk Merrington who was gravely ill last year.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #17
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I believe it was Kirk Merrington who was gravely ill last year.
You are right, Dean. I stand corrected.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Not my best picture of Cody Kearcher's work on my L.C. Smith. The damascus pattern is clear in life. From about five feet the color looks an even soft brown, but upon close inspection the brown/silver come up nice.

Cost to re-color the barrels was $420...they look much better in life.

There, that's better.

Here is a "before" picture

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

They say one can't make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" and my Elsie is still an O grade, but she is a very presentable shotgun now. Cody polished the bores and honed them just a bit, he didn't want to take off too much, they measure .030 at their thinnest.

Looking at them now, they look extremely solid. Keith Kearcher said he'd be comfortable shooting them with standard 2&3/4" target loads, the chambers are long enough. I think so too. RST shells are even lighter loads than the old BP. I usually shoot #8 Rio or Estate target loads. I think I'll be find shooting them in the Elsie which is now an IC/Mod gun vise F/F. I'll try it at skeet.

Unread 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've had Brad do the barrels and color case hardening on quite a few guns and have always been happy. Your wait, as I understand it, may vary because he likes to do different manufactures in lots. Good luck - Paul