Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Disabled Veterans Pheasant Shoot
Unread 03-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Disabled Veterans Pheasant Shoot

Chuck Connell will host a Free to any Disabled Veteran- a Pheasant Shoot on April 10th at his "Tails-A-Waggin'" hunt club in Marion, MI. Vets will ride in a golf cart, modified to allow shooting from same while seated. Dog handlers will be working ahead, back-up shooters (that's my assigned detail) will walk.

I plan to attend! I'm a Veteran but not disabled, and I'll help Chuck as needed. We can't find the words to ever thank the brave men and women who have served our Country, but Chuck's gesture says a lot!

Last edited by Francis Morin; 03-31-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Follow-Up report on the Vets bird hunt
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Follow-Up report on the Vets bird hunt

We started around 1000 hrs. windy, some overcast, frosty from the previous night, and somewhat dampened ground on Chuck's leased 360 acres in Central MI-- We had generous donations from Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare (shells) and area implement dealers loaned ATV's and golf carts, to accomodate those who needed transportation.

All pointing dogs were used! Chuck's club is a mecca for dog trials and handler's events. English Pointers, Setters, GSP's, Brittanys and even a pointing Lab. This was obvious, as with flushing dogs, the Vets that needed to shoot from the carts would be at a disadvantage in getting fair shots.

The birds, almost all Roosters, were planted in a rotation over three different field areas of the farm- rolling pasture, some milo and corn from last Fall, brush, autumn olive and the back beaver pond- all well used to present challenging shots on birds that were apparently wearing their running shoes-As Chuck explained, this is the Spring breeding season and even pen raised pheasants answer Mother Nature's bidding, just as native birds do at this time of year.

Some of us (including me) were either driving the carts, or walking with the dog handlers and doing any "back-up" shooting required. Blaze orange, basic hunter's safety and valid small game licenses were part of the orders of the day as well. Also, any birds that flew to safety off Chuck's leased property were "free birds- Lynryd Skynrd's". If you hunt there during the regular MI pheasant season (Oct 20th through Nov. 14th) and only shoot a Rooster on the 'fringes" you are legal, but otherwise, birds may only be shot (or, shot at in some cases) within the posted preserve limits.

Almost all branches of our Military were represented by the nearly 40 Vets, possible exception being the US Coast Guard. Two gentlemen near 87 were the WW11 Veterans there, USAAC- later USAF, and USA Big Red One Infantry--Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqui Freedom!

After opening comments and welcome from our host Chuck Connell, a lady lead us in prayer for our Nation and our Vets. She lost her husband, a US Army Vietnam Vet., a year ago this past January.

The actual shooting, the guns used, etc. are but minor points. We all owe a big "Thanks" to Chuck and his gracious wife (who prepared a great lunch), the dog handlers and the sponsors who made this happen. I could tell from the faces and the conversations I overheard that this special hunt was one "for the record books" indeed!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post: