Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

2020 Hindsight + 2021 Foresight
Unread 12-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Default 2020 Hindsight + 2021 Foresight

I've been thinking about this crazy year we've all just lived through & at the same time am thinking about the year ahead of us.

When looking back I'm trying not to dwell on the craziness or negatives encountered in 2020, but am looking more at the good things that happened in my life. Some of those good things is that all of my family has been able to avoid the Covid bug except one niece & her husband & both of them recovered completely. The friends that have had it have recovered as well. On the hunting front I was able to pull off a South Dakota pheasant hunt in October & several roosters fell to my Parker Repro wearing it's 16ga barrels. The highlight of the year though was finally being able to get my right knee replaced after I returned from the SD hunt. I'm now fully rehabbed and walking normally pain free for the first time in several years. This year keep's on kicking though and it gave me one last big time kick when I lost my beloved Lab Sage to cancer a week before Christmas, this was a tough one.

Now I'm ready to turn the page and am looking forward into the new year ahead of us and it's looking much brighter all the time. I'm hoping the vaccines will do their job and put this bug in the rear view mirror so we can get back to being able to plan & participate in the things we love to do the most.

Keeping this in mind. I'm starting to think about what I'm wanting to plan for exercising some of my Parkers this year. I already have a pheasant hunt planned for October, so that's a good start. I'm considering getting another Lab puppy now that I can walk & keep up with the demands of training a new pup. I'm also thinking about checking some boxes off my retirement wish list. One of these is to do a southern style duck hunt. I'm thinking a hunt at the legendary beaver dam in Mississippi would scratch that itch, but I don't know exactly how to pull that one off. Does anyone here have any insights on how to go about booking a hunt there or have experience with an outfitter they would be willing recommend?

This is my short list. What is your plan's for 2021 Parker activities?

2021 is going to be a good year and a fresh start!

I hope everyone has a great new year and I give you all my best wishes!!

Paul
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I got to spend a lot of time hunting and shooting and fishing with my son Harry, so I am not complaining. Africa comes in March, barring some disaster . . . .
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Paul,

I have hunted Beaver Dam Lake. Mike Boyd is who you need to call to set up a hunt. He and his son Lamar own the hunting operation there. You motor from his backyard to the blind. His number is 662-363-6288. If you hunt with Mike you will have to take care of your own lodging and meals, unless he has built a lodge since I was there.

I have another friend who owns a hunting operation across the river near Marianna, AR. It is called the L 'Anguille River Duck Club. They have lots of blinds/locations on their own land. It's a father/son operation also. My close friend stays at the lodge and guides/calls for them all season each year. The contact person there is Justin Higgins and his number is 870-897-2799. If you hunt with them they will provide you with housing at their lodge, and great home cooked meals each day, cooked in the lodge kitchen.

Here is their website address: https://www.duckhuntsarkansas.com

Best to you, SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Thanks Stan! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

I just texted my buddy at the LRDC, the guide Tripp Neil. He said it was 7 minutes until shooting time and he just had one duck to set down in the dekes. I know that feeling of anticipation well.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2020, 07:43 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Paul, it's good to read of some optimism and plans for the future. I hope your duck hunt comes to be, and that you can outrun that lab pup (at least when he is very young).

Now, one thing I plan for next year is to enjoy the pictures you post of that duck hunt!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote