Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
double barrel
PGCA Member

Member Info

I would certainly clean off the rust on the buttplate screws.
Ken Descovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

I would buy that gun off a gun show table and worry about the wood fit when I got home. Your gun has lots of original finish, enough to create interest in Parker collectors. Don't clean it too much.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Parker acquisition, badly abused
Unread 05-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
Bob Lovell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wink Parker acquisition, badly abused

I was given this elegant (used & badly abused) 12 ga. Parker Bros. shotgun. I want to restore it, but realize it will take a lot of hard work and labor. It is a grade 1 (K), Frame size #2, ; serial number (90797) made in 1899 according to my meager research. It has a very nice (Vulcan Steel) barrel. However, nice on the inside but with surface rust on th exterior, I believe it has been re stocked, but am not sure. The stock does not match the grip wood under the barrel. I know the former owner (deceased) and he killed many turkeys with it years ago! Don't believe he ever cleaned it. He did not take care of this wonderful work of art. It is very dirty but sound and will yield to a complete clean up. It needs a sear spring (old style). I do not know where to find one. I am in no hurry and am trying to learn how to dismantle and remantle such a very complex but beautiful action! I am dismayed at the mulated screw heads! can clean them up, but would prefer to just replace them with new stock if available! I cannot believe that such a masterpeice could have been machined in 1899, but here it is! Please help me bring back this masterpeice and quality firearm! I will send photos when I can.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NctsWtCbvWNyXMqS7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iWeuCbd3wWNG7G3p6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wiVugGo4Ap3gw8Ki9

Last edited by Bob Lovell; 05-15-2020 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Add photos
Bob Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lovell View Post
I was given this elegant (used & badly abused) 12 ga. Parker Bros. shotgun. I want to restore it, but realize it will take a lot of hard work and labor. It is a grade 1 (K), Frame size #2, ; serial number (90797) made in 1899 according to my meager research. It has a very nice (Vulcan Steel) barrel. However, nice on the inside but with surface rust on th exterior, I believe it has been re stocked, but am not sure. The stock does not match the grip wood under the barrel. I know the former owner (deceased) and he killed many turkeys with it years ago! Don't believe he ever cleaned it. He did not take care of this wonderful work of art. It is very dirty but sound and will yield to a complete clean up. It needs a sear spring (old style). I do not know where to find one. I am in no hurry and am trying to learn how to dismantle and remantle such a very complex but beautiful action! I am dismayed at the mulated screw heads! can clean them up, but would prefer to just replace them with new stock if available! I cannot believe that such a masterpeice could have been machined in 1899, but here it is! Please help me bring back this masterpeice and quality firearm! I will send photos when I figure out how to transfer them to this page.
if you are skilled with the right tools - Brian Dudley posted instructions

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=307

you can also contact Brian Dudley for parts-

if you are going to clean the rust look at getting some Frontier pads

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

they can remove light rust without damaging the remaining finish- but keep it off the wood