Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Ohio Gun Collectors Assn.
Unread 01-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,602 Times in 1,842 Posts

Default Ohio Gun Collectors Assn.

The OGCA is having a show this weekend. It's been quite some time since I have attended. Given the lousy weather we are having today here in Southern IN I elected to make the 95 mile drive. Must have been other folks thinking the same as attendance was brisk. This show has generally been thought of as a high quality show over the years and this appears to still be the case IMO. Dealer attendance appears down to my eye as the aisles appear shortened in length. There were actually several Parkers on the tables. Early on I spied a wonderful 16 gauge VHE with lots of condition in the 235,000 range and light as a feather for a #1 frame with 28" barrels. Liked everything about it right up to the lengthened chambers and forcing cones, ughhh! There was also an SA on a dealers table. It was being viewed by a couple of Gents so I only got to eye it from a few feet. Appeared to be recased and the checkering looked suspicious, once again I was staring at it from 6' distance. Member Dennis Yager from MI had a wonderful cased GH 20 on his table with beautiful 28" Damascus barrels as I recall, good to see you again Dennis. In the end a good show even though I acquired nothing.
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 01-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

I was a member of OGCA for years, enjoyed every show I attended. I only let my membership lapse when I ran out of friends who were as enthusiastic as I was about the shows. If I could find a travelling companion, I would go back without delay.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
matt koepnick
PGCA Member

Member Info

Most of my doubles have come from OGCA. Been a member since 2000. Nice group. First year here as Parker club member. Another great group here. Seriously thinking about life membership for upcoming 2nd year renewal. the Parker bug has bitten. thanks Matt k
matt koepnick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to matt koepnick For Your Post:
Unread 01-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,602 Times in 1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt koepnick View Post
Most of my doubles have come from OGCA. Been a member since 2000. Nice group. First year here as Parker club member. Another great group here. Seriously thinking about life membership for upcoming 2nd year renewal. the Parker bug has bitten. thanks Matt k
I really enjoyed that show, tis possible I need to attend more regularly. Glad you are considering a life membership. The PGCA restricts life membership to 20% of the total membership. Seems as though I recall hearing we were close at some point but I honestly do not know where we stand at present. The next time I get to the PGCA maybe we can hook up Matt.
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Why is life membership restricted to 20%?
Unread 01-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
Twoatlow8
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know at our gun club, life memberships are looked at as lost revenue. Yes there are a few that move away or pass on, but most that buy them seem to more than get their money’s worth.
I can see where limiting them is a good idea.
Scott Janowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

If they are a money loser, why have them? If you have a need for lifers, then price them accordingly
Unread 01-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
Twoatlow8
Forum Associate

Member Info

It was due to the board of directors at the time. That has since changed.
Scott Janowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I’ll speak a little to the subject without board thoughts except as my take. When the limitation was passed by the board there was the question of the effect of life memberships vs. annual memberships and the lack of residual income. Our by-laws call for a person to be a life member in order to be on the board, so we wanted to make sure there was a good balance of both, which enabled PGCA to have a pool of folks who might be interested in serving as board members. Given the fact that all costs continue to rise, I wouldn’t be surprised that dues in all classes don’t have to be raised in the future, but I don’t believe that matter is a foregone conclusion.
As a board member I can say for sure that we really want to have a first class organization, with a first class newsletter, a very first class forum, that provides an organization that all members are proud of and feel they can volunteer and support.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 01-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,668 Times in 1,642 Posts

Bill, I have been a member of OGCA for years my gun show buddy unfortunately died Mr Glen Hoffeker, so the last show I attended in Wilmington was a display show, several years ago, of course the display was hammer guns. Maybe we could meet up some where and do the show some time, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote