Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 08-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #121
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
Eric, Rich
Because those are the rules of the game. Y'all don't participate anyways so...
David
David, both Rich and I participated until last year, so I still ask why ? Heavy modified guns are ok, but not Repros, makes no sense. In previous years I have talked to guys that only had a Repro and wanted to shoot, but couldn't
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #122
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Good point John I hadn't thought about the barrels being to rough to use.
I think a lot of people are making much to do about nothing.
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #123
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gun I was looking at, untouched Damascus DH 12, had barrels too rough to save. Dents mostly but pitted deep too. Rest of the gun was restorable, thing about it stock drop was not too bad, could have been bent to suit me. I passed on it, no sense in putting more than a good one would cost into the gun & the cheap fix is not eligible to shoot.

Paradox is we Parker owners debate staying original when a Perazzi DC 12 is perfectly legal. Saw one at the Spring Southern, ordered to suit the owner, barrels chokes stock weight everything.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Opinions, please
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #124
Andy Humphriss
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Opinions, please

I have shot many small gauge nsca events with sub gauge tubes until my lovely wife gave me a k-20 3gauge set for x mas, I think i will keep her! Nsca events are fun but in my opinion it's more about winning. The few side by side shoots i have shot was more about the enjoying vintage guns and like minded people. If you want to shoot small gauge guns at these events and can't afford an vintage small gage gun you can shoot a modern s x s and still enjoy shooting these events with out spending a bunch of money. It is my opinion the vintage gun events should be shot with guns as they were originally chambered.
Andy Humphriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #125
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Andy
Thanks for expressing the vast majority of our feelings. I have shot a few NSCA events and it is ALL about moving up in class and winning, period. The SXS events is ALL about enjoying yourself with friends and shared interests. I have seen one of our "top guns" shoot a wining score and then not turn in his card because he felt he had won enough events. I fell that is what we are about:not just winning but also helping your friends also enjoy the shoot.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Dwyer For Your Post:
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #126
Carvel
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am not sure a how a modern small gauge gun is any more a vintage shotgun then sub-gauge tubes would be. If you are shooting for fun and friendship, either would be ok. If the idea is to keep everything "vintage" then I would agree that the guns should be just that. I just like to shoot and have fun, and I really enjoy the old, far more classy in my opinion , than most of the modern synthetic, machine made, guns of today. There are good arguments on both sides of this discussion but I doubt if everyone will ever agree on every thing. JMHO Carvel
Carvel Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #127
Mark Conrad
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
What I am saying is that you can use a modified (sometimes highly) Parker in the Parker/Smith challenge but not a Repro, why ? Sounds to me a simple question....
Eric, the reason why Repo's are not allowed is that L. C. Smith never made a repo. This came up when we finally agreed on the rules. This Smith boys felt it would have given Parker an advantage. There's your answer.
Mark Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Conrad For Your Post:
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #128
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Conrad View Post
Eric, the reason why Repo's are not allowed is that L. C. Smith never made a repo. This came up when we finally agreed on the rules. This Smith boys felt it would have given Parker an advantage. There's your answer.
No that's not an answer, there is nothing special about a Repo, now some of the tricked up "old" Parkers there is your advantage.. By the way I shoot an old Parker, but it should be no reason to exclude a shooter that only has one gun and it's a Repo. There is no advantage so......
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #129
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Forgive me, but that is an answer. It isn't an answer you like, but it is the answer and it is the factual reason for it. The LC Smith guys were opposed to Parker shooters using a repro because they perceived an advantage not available to Smith shooters because there are no smith repros. Their agreement to participate was contingent on reproductions not being allowed.

I don't know enough about repros to know if there would be such an advantage or not, but the fact remains that that is the reason for them not being allowed. I guess you could go to an LC forum and ask them what advantages they were worried about, but it was part of the agreement to the games.
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #130
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Holcombe View Post
Forgive me, but that is an answer. It isn't an answer you like, but it is the answer and it is the factual reason for it. The LC Smith guys were opposed to Parker shooters using a repro because they perceived an advantage not available to Smith shooters because there are no smith repros. Their agreement to participate was contingent on reproductions not being allowed.

I don't know enough about repros to know if there would be such an advantage or not, but the fact remains that that is the reason for them not being allowed. I guess you could go to an LC forum and ask them what advantages they were worried about, but it was part of the agreement to the games.
Bill, there is no advantage to the Repos they are the same as the originals, not like the tricked out old Parkers. banghead: