Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-26-2024, 08:19 AM   #11
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

Todd, that is a beautiful Perazzi!!!
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2024, 10:18 AM   #12
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,491 Times in 978 Posts

Lacking grace and beauty comment has me perplexed. The guns are amazing and handle fantastic, especially if you're lucky enough to have one built to you. I have shot a few Ithaca imported ones, and they're quite great too. A friend of mine has a Perazzi Mirage that he paid $4,000 for recently, and that's a hell of a gun in great shape he snagged. An MX8 with fixed M/IM chokes and 31.5" barrels is likely the last gun a man would need. That's my opinion I'm sticking with it. I like the understated elegance; it's the filling in the pie not the crust that matters.
Unread 04-26-2024, 06:48 PM   #13
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,140 Posts

I'm on my 3rd P gun, but still have my step ribbed MX 8. That gun is all business!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 04-27-2024, 09:30 PM   #14
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,472 Times in 1,333 Posts

Several years ago a P gun showed up at the traps at my rod and gun club. The owner said it was an Ithaca import. I thought it was beautiful and he asked if I would like to shoot it. He handed me the gun and 5 shells. When I shouldered it I had the feeling it was actually a part of my body. I had never experienced that to that degree. I shot 5 times and broke 5 targets. I never forgot that experience and have never felt like that with any other gun.
Mike Franzen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post:
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 04-28-2024, 09:52 AM   #15
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,028 Posts

I worked in a large family-owned sporting goods business in the Washington DC metro area in the early 1970s, at the time when Ithaca began to import the Perrazzi into the US. We were a major Browning, Winchester, Ithaca and Remington dealer, and at that time the darling of the trapshooting world was the Browning Superposed Broadway Trap, which outsold anything else close to it by about a 6 to 1 margin.

When prospective buyers that had heard about the Perazzi Competition Trap guns came in to look at them, they always complained that they were too much money: "Why would I pay $600 (the price of a Comp 1 trap) for a relatively unknown gun when I can buy a Broadway for $475 (Browning's discounted price at the time)?? I would always reply; "Well sir, its your choice: pay your $ and take your pick!" Within 3-4 years, Perazzi began to completely dominate the trap gun market.

As an aside, the Perazzi Comp 1 was the only 32-inch barreled gun I was ever able to handle effectively. Being of medium build with fairly short arms, other guns seemed too hard to control at the end of a swing on angled targets. With their individually tapered barrels, the 32" Comp 1s were ideal for me. When I began to shoot bunker (Olympic) trap competitively in 1990, I found we had an old Comp 1 at our club that had been sold and resold to at least 4 members over a 20-year period. To the best recollection of the surviving owners keeping records of their reloading for practice as well as their competition rounds, they figured the gun had had a minimum of 250,000 rounds through it. I would love to have that gun today.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 04-28-2024, 02:15 PM   #16
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

The side plated SCOs are about the handsomest guns being made today IMO. Very reminiscent of the early Woodward OUs, on which the Perazzi action is based. In terms of any Perazzi, they can be rebuilt again and again should they need it. Dropout trigger and ease of service by anyone who is inclined. Firing pins and mainsprings are easy to replace. And there are lots of qualified gunsmiths who can work on them.
Ed Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2024, 08:22 AM   #17
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,345 Times in 2,450 Posts

Couldn't agree more Ed, the SCO's are beautiful. I own 3 Perazzi MX guns and the only regret I have is that I've waited too long to own them. One of the chaps I shoot with on a regular basis who shoots an 1100 asked me not long ago why I picked a Perazzi. My answer was pure and simple is they put more X's on the scorecard. It seriously feels like an extension of my body.
Unread 04-29-2024, 08:50 AM   #18
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,491 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Couldn't agree more Ed, the SCO's are beautiful. I own 3 Perazzi MX guns and the only regret I have is that I've waited too long to own them. One of the chaps I shoot with on a regular basis who shoots an 1100 asked me not long ago why I picked a Perazzi. My answer was pure and simple is they put more X's on the scorecard. It seriously feels like an extension of my body.
I agree Daryl. I waited until I was 59 to "afford one" but had I taken the advice of a friend years ago I would have saved money.

Browning Citori
Winchester 101
Beretta Silver Pigeon I
Caesar Geurini Summit
Beretta 694

All those guns which have come and gone added up to about $15,000 and sold for much less going out the door

The MX8 with palm swell, SC2 wood, 11x11 rib and dropout leaf trigger was $14,200 to my door. I shoot it much better than any other clays gun I've owned. Buy once cry once as they say. Sadly, I don't think it will be my last but don't tell my wife.

That being said my next purchase will be either a nice Trojan 20g or my dream gun, a 16g 26" or 28" DHE on 0 frame as my grouse gun.
Unread 04-29-2024, 12:47 PM   #19
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Those Perazzis probably point as well as that David Bruce double trap
Ed Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2024, 01:06 PM   #20
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,345 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Blake View Post
Those Perazzis probably point as well as that David Bruce double trap
They certainly do Ed.