Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

8 ga loads
Unread 12-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 8 ga loads

was looking thru some of myammo collection found a few 8 ga brass hulls that i liked the looks of...one of them is a parker brothers and all of them are 3 1/4 inch and in good to new shape...will load them with smokeless powder blue dot is what i will use and no 7 1/2 lead shot and no 6 lead....will try them out on some new dr pepper cans i have saved up................ i was looking at a powder can which has several loads for shotguns on it..it has loads for even the 8 ga...it is the heavist smokeless powder load for the 8 ga that i have seen thus far that i have seen posted for smokeless load in the 8 ga.....the powder can is a new schultze...8 ga 51/2 to 61/2 drams or 66 to78 grains.... 10 ga ga 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 drams or 42 to 54 grains...12 ga 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 drams 33 to 42 grains......16 ga 2 1/2 drams or30 grains......20 ga 2 drams or 24 grains..... powder can is as old as our parkers over 100 years plus.... thought this was interesting....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thought this of interest also... the heavist black powder charge for the 8 ga that i have seen calls for 7 drams of black powder...i have a few 8 gauge remington loaded shells that the top wad says 7 drams of black powder and 2 1/4 ounce of lead shot...this has to be a real bad on the shoulder and stock.... charlie
Unread 12-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have some 9 shot. Might make a neat load.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I use to load 4 oz of shot and 400 grs of 1f in a 8ga O/U muzzleloader I made. Think I was way over loaded.
Unread 12-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

paul i would like to have seen you shooting that big gun...did you ever get to shoot a turkey with it....sounds like that gun was a true 100 yard gun...the biggest load i have ever shot in my 8 ga was 57 grains of bluedot powder and 3 ounces of bb lead shot..i also shot this same load thru my ithaca 10 ga magnum...the 8 pattered pretty good but the 10 ga pattern was no good....the 57 grain of bluedot and 3 ounce of lead shot was a tested load...not a load i would recommend...charlie
Unread 01-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

today i was looking at the 8 gs stuff i have i refound a roll crimper for the 8 ga that i got some where in my travels...i used a black remington plastic hull loaded it with 45 grains bluedot powder then put 2 1/8 inch thick over powder wad then a remington s p 8 wad then 2 1/2 ounces of no 6 lead shot then i split one of the over powder wads and put it over the shot then i roll crimped it with the old hand cranked crimper....was the best looking roll crimp i have ever done...this is the only 8 gauge hand crimper i have ever seen any body else got one of these kind of hand rolled crimpers...i have watched ebay for a long time but have never seen one on there...you will see them aplenty in 12 ga and some in 16 20 and very few in 410...i do all my roll crimping in 8 ga with one i bought from precision reloading it works in a drill does a good job but not as good as this old hand roller...i also did 2 brass shells today loaded them with bluedot to...used hot glue gun to hold the wads with...it was raining here today so it will be tommorrow before i get to shoot them and see how every thing goes hope fully bang...
Unread 01-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
I use to load 4 oz of shot and 400 grs of 1f in a 8ga O/U muzzleloader I made. Think I was way over loaded.
Theres a fellow who built himself a 20mm muzzleloader which is about a 8bore
20mm is .825 , he proof tested with 1000grs of 1F the twist rate on them is for a 1760gr slug or around that . that works out to 1/4lb or the same weight as a 4 gauge/bore round ball .

Charlie have you ever loaded blackhorn 209 ? Its supposedly pretty clean and doesnt really foul like BP or the other substitutes on the market .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne goerres View Post
I have some 9 shot. Might make a neat load.
#9 makes a pretty good quail load , we normally used #7s on the plantation but somehow a few boxes of #9s got mixed into the case . After the guys who opted to try the 9s bags started filling faster than the guys shooting the 7s . They started to argue who was going to get the remaining boxes of #9s haha .
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i have never used no 9 shot but then again its just because i never had a box of them... i shot the 8 gaue brass loads a few minutes ago they fired ok the secret to brass hulls and smokeless powder is to push on the wadding with pressure and use hot glue gun and glue them while holding pressure on the top wad i used an ordanary wood pencil to push with..2 of the brass hulls were winchester 8 ga hulls i used the large pistol primer in them...the other 2 hulls were brass also but had parker brothers on them they were new hulls they used 209 primers in them...did not pattern them....just shot across yard...no dr pepper can was hurt...ha charlie
Unread 01-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i have never used no 9 shot but then again its just because i never had a box of them... i shot the 8 gaue brass loads a few minutes ago they fired ok the secret to brass hulls and smokeless powder is to push on the wadding with pressure and use hot glue gun and glue them while holding pressure on the top wad i used an ordanary wood pencil to push with..2 of the brass hulls were winchester 8 ga hulls i used the large pistol primer in them...the other 2 hulls were brass also but had parker brothers on them they were new hulls they used 209 primers in them...did not pattern them....just shot across yard...no dr pepper can was hurt...ha charlie
some short 8 ga loads with #9s would make a great quail gun , I could see you doing that haha .

Ive read that also about using a hot glue gun , in his video Larry Potterfield used something called water glass to glue his into place .

Charlie have you watched this video , they talk about how hunting was done with the 10,8, & 4 bores . I found it really interesting where he mentions if you owned one of these guns then your children (which they had alot of back in those days) had better diets and more protein than other families . So they would be healthier .

Shooting them on the deck as he calls it would probably be considered unsportsmanlike these days haha .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVJo6CDGmM&t=1895s