Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Rainy day gun.
Unread 03-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Rainy day gun.

Thanks for moving this thread. This is the gun I bought from Brian to have something to fiddle with while staying home. Stripped and stained the wood then added finish without removing the frame. I always wondered if I could do this with out making a mess and sure enough it worked. The frame needs a good cleaning and lube so I may take it apart anyway and do it over and remove oil from the wood and not stain it. I don't like the color. I have never prepped a barrel for rust blueing so I might give that a try. I watched Larry Potterfield's how to video and it looks pretty simple. I think it will need some laser welding to fill the pits. I may have a source for that nearby.Any tips from pros will be appreciated. I do like the one frame and the chokes. The bores are better than I expected after a good cleaning with a Frontier Pad I can not see any frosting. Did the straw test and the gun fits me pretty well. If I shoot it well it may become my Sunny Day Gun. Gerald.

P.S. Brian I sure wish you would not use the fore end to push the barb wire fences down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rainy day gun new skin.JPG (63.7 KB, 49 views)
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post:
Unread 03-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

This is a reproduction?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Bill. Sorry about that. I meant to put it in Restorations.Good Grief!! Can it be removed?
Unread 04-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sunny day today so I shot Old Rainy. Fits me well and breaks clays nicely. Good job on lowering the comb Brian. Gerald.
Unread 04-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

IS it possible to have pits built up with laser welding to prep for a re-blue? Exterior only, I'm guessing? Next question: Will the fill metal added match after blueing or will it show like a sleeve job where they nearly never quite match in color/texture?
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

Good work already!

Hey, that gun was pretty much the way it was when I got it. I just took the comb down some and hunted with it. I never came across any barbed wire in my travels. Just a lot of thorns.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson View Post
P.S. Brian I sure wish you would not use the fore end to push the barb wire fences down

that's what the butt plate is for
Unread 04-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #8
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've been turkey hunting lately on a cattle farm near Cedartown Ga. The most barb wire fences I've ever seen on a small farm. I got tangled up in one and it was tempting. Just kidding Brian. I'm going to have Bill Schwartz take a look at the barrels and see what he thinks. I used a copper brush on the pits and that helped. Less angry looking. Researching laser welding and it looks like it will work if I decide to go that route. It seems it will rust blue and can be applied very thin. Gerald
Unread 04-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #9
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson View Post
I've been turkey hunting lately on a cattle farm near Cedartown Ga. The most barb wire fences I've ever seen on a small farm. I got tangled up in one and it was tempting. Just kidding Brian. I'm going to have Bill Swartzs take a look at the barrels and see what he thinks. I used a copper brush on the pits and that helped. Less angry looking. Researching laser welding and it looks like it will work if I decide to go that route. It seems it will rust blue and can be applied very thin. Gerald
If you go the laser welding road please take some before and after pictures. I think a lot of us would like to know how it comes out.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Update. No go with laser welding no response. Must be closed. Proceeded to take Rainy Day Gun apart, tightest screws I've ever saw almost gave up but after soaking in liquid wrench it happened. Decided to redo the wood by removing finish and oil using Crud Cutter and Goof Off and a little acetone. Then applied 4 coats of True Oil rubbing down with 0000 steel wool to remove gloss and waxed with Johnsons past wax that I've had for 50 years at least. I have taken 4 or 5 Parkers apart but this one was by far the worst full of crud and Liquid Wrench. Forgot to take a picture. Continued with carb cleaner and compressed air Letting soak overnight. Eventually I got pleasing results so continued with WD40 and more air. Reassembled the stock to the action. Extremely close tolerance on the metal work. Ordered some Oxpho-Blue from Brownells and began sanding the barrels until it was easy to see all the pitting.
Then I carried them up to Bill Schwartz to get his thoughts. He recommended not doing any filing on the pitted area near the muzzle as he measured 22 thous. there so I came home and continued to sand until I got it fairly smooth. The Oxpho came yesterday so today I re blued I am surprised how black 5 applications did the barrels. So I guess I am through for now. If you stay back about 40 feet you you will think I have a nice Parker. Anyway I did enjoy doing it. Gerald

Ps Thats light shining on the pits in the last pic. They really don't show up at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (346.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (444.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg p3.jpg (514.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg p4.jpg (328.0 KB, 36 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post: