Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #41
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
You know Rich, you laughed at me last year with me wearing my Filson chaps (after being told they killed to over four foot rattlers in the previous two weeks) so this year I think I may wear them again.............
Btw not trying to get too much off topic but I was wearing Filson chaps at the time of my near miss. Have hunted up north plenty of times and you can get by sometimes without brush pants or chaps if you pick your way. I know me though and will not hesitate to bust brush when I hunt so strongly prefer extra cover on the legs, no matter where I hunt. I used to think Filson Single Tin chaps were good enough just over a pair of jeans for snake protection, but I have had a few thorn stabs even through that combination and that is what gave me the most pause thinking if a hot snake strike would make it through as well. Is it maybe good enough, maybe not, probably better than not having anything but........

For me that was last straw an needed no more convincing. I have had enough close calls that I decided to stick with stuff that says snakeproof or snake resistant. Before my rattlesnake incident was duck hunting in Houma, La years before when in college. All I had was cheap thin rubber hip waders. Had them pulled down since it was so warm and while walking around an old trappers cabin stepped on a cottonmouth that was laid out in a flat area that was a thick clover patch, not even thinking there would be a snake there. Felt something squishy and squirmy under foot and looked down to see that hummer whipping around. Its head hit the side of the boot folded down like a flap and it bounced off and I don't think he even got a fang into the wader. Since standing on it snake could not square up, but it did not matter at the time since I pretty much jumped out of that boot and was about 20 feet away from that sucker in 1.5 steps. I thought that would probably be about my last close call with snakes to last a lifetime but if you hunt in deep south enough I figure why chance it. I got lucky twice but why risk a third swing I figure.

You boys be careful chasing them Bob's and good gracious granny stay away from our sneaky snakes.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 01-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #42
Pa. Parker Pal
Forum Associate

Member Info

As I sit in the frozen eastern half of Pa. (2 degrees) my thoughts always drift to the "long-tailed bird". Years ago in the 60's and 70's we had wild birds and state stocked. Now, it's put and take but after the birds have been out a couple days they can be challenging for me and my new one year old brit. In the beginning of november we had a flight of woodcock come in but unfortunetly I missed every one plus 3 pheasants , but in was still great practice for the new dog. I also enjoy doves and stocked chukars.
nick balzano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nick balzano For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2018, 01:05 AM   #43
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

I'd rather shoot a pair of bull canvasbacks over decoys than any bird that flys. A close second would be a Canada goose over a water set.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2018, 02:32 AM   #44
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I've started dabbling at Morning Dove again and I have started rather late in life playing with those big Canadian webbed foot things . I however would like to start heading to the southwest for of all things Eurasian Banded Dove .

Also looks as if I'm gonna start heading to the Outer Banks of NC for Mallets and Cans .

But without a doubt my preferred quarry is the man eating Virginia Whitetailed deer ! If I were closer to the Eastern Shore of Maryland I suspect the little Japanese Sika Deer would take the forefront .

I will say of the deer I was able to scare to death this year two were done in with Parker 10 gauge guns shooting two different home cast slugs .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #45
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

"I used to think Filson Single Tin chaps were good enough just over a pair of jeans for snake protection, but I have had a few thorn stabs even through that combination and that is what gave me the most pause thinking if a hot snake strike would make it through as well. Is it maybe good enough, maybe not, probably better than not having anything but........"

Todd, mine are double Tin chaps, heavy and hot but...........might have a chance against a snake
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #46
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

for Traci and I its wild quail over straight tailed dogs with a recessed smallbore hinged pin shootin' stick .... the way to keep your dogs ready is not to spoil em'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kansas trip 027.jpg (536.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg kansas trip 032.JPG (128.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg kansas trip 035.JPG (147.9 KB, 0 views)
chuck brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #47
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

No sense in having a dog if you can't spoil them!
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #48
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
"I used to think Filson Single Tin chaps were good enough just over a pair of jeans for snake protection, but I have had a few thorn stabs even through that combination and that is what gave me the most pause thinking if a hot snake strike would make it through as well. Is it maybe good enough, maybe not, probably better than not having anything but........"

Todd, mine are double Tin chaps, heavy and hot but...........might have a chance against a snake
Go for it. Its whatever you feel comfortable with. That and wear your tallest boot that you like to walk in. Like I said its probably 99.5% that you won't have a run in especially if your cognitive of surroundings. Its that slim chance that always gets you. I think those double tins are pretty tough and stiff but again its what gives you peace of mind. For me when the dogs go on point I sort forget about whats on the ground and I am walking in not thinking snake even that is a narrow window for when your guard is down. Things happen though.

According to so called snake experts that I know, most of bad bites are accidental snake bites that are predatory ones. What makes them worst is that snake thinks your prey and its using its venom for sure and most of the time that is the snake you don't see, especially for big bad old snakes. I mean that goes out the window if you step on one but thats different. Good news is that most of these predatory bites are low or level and not up, but obviously depends on the size of snake and circumstances.

Even though these snakes that are out now they tend to still be lethargic this time of year and odds are more interested in getting away then being defensive. Unless your looking for trouble messing with one you find then its on you. This is problem with deep south though, even though air temp is cool out, when these snakes come out and sun themselves in an area low and out of the wind that ground temp where they are can get high 70's and 80's. Thats hot enough to make em more unpredictable then they already are according to the experts.

Not trying to go overboard or freak anybody out but knowledge is power and maybe this is like a gun safety talk to most, but just like a gun safely discussion you sometimes can never hear those enough. Complacency kills.
Unread 01-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #49
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Out here in fly over country, all wild birds, quail, pheasant, woods and prairie grouse. No preserves.

And an ice cream parlor in Round Up, Montana .
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 01-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #50
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I like it. May have to head out west. Nice pics Bruce. My neighbors son moved out West and married a gal from Montana. He is in to golf but his wife's family owns a big ranch. May need to hit em up. I mean if you can't ask your neighbors kids inlaws that are 1500 miles away if you can hunt their land, then who can you ask?