Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Parker Grade 2 hammer 10 gauge circa 1884
Unread 11-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

Default Parker Grade 2 hammer 10 gauge circa 1884

First day of the VA gun season was last Saturday . I went out that AM with the old Parker hammer gun loaded with tweleve 0 Buck pellets in a SP-10 wad with six 9mm cases full of Winchester Grex buffer all over top 30 grains of SR7625 and set off with a WIN 209 primer . I also had with me in case the deer didn't get close a Remington 700BDL I had rebarreled to 6.5-06 last year and that one had handloaded Nosler 130 AccuBonds .

In the AM I saw two bucks I could not get a bullet to even though they were no more then 50 yards a way .

Went back out around 14:00 and carried the samne battery . Long about 16:30 I had what I thought were two doe coming towards me . The smaller one walked towards the scent candle I had out and was going to pass me at 15 yards . So when it got there I let fly and it went 10-15 yards and rolled up . That was with the right barrel , I quickly turned and fired at the larger doe with the left barrel at a lasered 26 yards . At the boom of the gun she dropped like a sack of potatoes .

Turned out the smaller one was a button and the doe was piebald .

I wanna get a roundball load worked out for this gun . Seems Track of the Wolf markets a bag mold for a .760" roundball . Might just give that one a shot it should work in a SP-10 in this gun and patched in my muzzle loader 10 gauge SxS !

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...2/MOLD-BAG-760

There were a number of firsts on this day for me !

First deer with this gun .
First time I ever took a double with buckshot .
First time I ever took a piebald .

Last edited by CraigThompson; 11-22-2014 at 09:36 PM..
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 11-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Same time I got this 10 gauge I also picked up a Parker circa 1891 12 gauge G grade . This one has worked very nicely with the Lyman 525 grain sabot slug loaded with the Claybuster knockoff of the WIN AA12 wad . And of course pushed with SR7625 and lit with a WIN 209 . I found these slugs did pretty well in the gun at 25 yards I have yet to try further . Three slugs from the right barrel at 25 yards were in about 2" and about 2" to the right . Three shots from the left barrel were two inches to the left and about a 2" group . I am thinking they "should" cross at about 35 yards . Incidently I tried the slugs as they dropped from the mold and they did okay , but later someone suggested I fill the hollow bases with hot glue and they shot a shade better .

This gun had a severe break a number of years ago and someone put forth a good deal of effort to repair .

The stock seriel numbers to the gun and has a skeleton buttplate !
That was kinda a selling point for me .

Here's the Lyman slug I'm using , reminds me of a air rifle pellet on roids !

The right and left groups fired from the gun at 25 yards .

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 11-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Both these guns came from the same person . We recently sold a rather old 10 gauge lifter gun that also came from the same person on GB and I believe a certain New York gunsmith on this forum purchased the gun . Gun was missing the firing pins and bushings .
Unread 11-22-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Gonna do the Blackwater NWR thing again December 1 . My plan is to take my Savage 220 20 gauge bolt action rifled slug gun and this Parker 10 gauge
Unread 11-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

that big ten done the job..congratulations. i too have been going to get me one of those ten ga slug moulds from the wolf...that would be a big plus to get a deer with a ten ga slug..i got to get one with the 8 ga first though i got close a coupla evenings ago.nice pictures...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

That roundball will hopefully work in SP-10 wads as well as patched in my muzzle loader MacFarlane double .

That Lyman pellet slug should do well enough for all my 12 gauge guns .

But I need to find something suitable for the 16's and possibly a pellet looking slug for the 20's .

I've got a couple 20 Sterlings and this little VHE I got about two months ago that I wanna do the slug/buckshot thing in as well . This little VHE I've known for about 45 years and to be honest never thought I'd be able to get it from the owner . But he up and wanted to sell it and offered it to me first . So I bought it PDQ .

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

thats a mighty fine looking 20 ga you got there.should be a fine deer gun too...
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
thats a mighty fine looking 20 ga you got there.should be a fine deer gun too...
The darn thing is choked about M&F . I took it out a day or so after I got it and broke 23 out of 25 at skeet. Both the birds I missed I missed with the full choked barrel . Granted I expect I would have missed them with IC as well but that's beside the point !

Incidently that was with a mounted gun . The following round I shot a little Philly 20 gauge Sterling 26" IC/M and shot low gun and broke 24 of 25 .

Got my eye open for a Smith Ideal grade 20 gauge now and I'll have enough 20 gauge guns . What with 2 Sterlings , the VHE and a couple Belgian Superposed's .
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #9
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,314 Posts

Taking those two deer should qualify you for the prestigious "Parker Doubles" pin.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 11-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Franzen View Post
Taking those two deer should qualify you for the prestigious "Parker Doubles" pin.
I dunno they weren't in the air .

I was always of the opinion when one got that type thing they needed to be flying . Or possibly in the case of rabbits running . These two deer weren't really running the first was kinda walking/creeping along and when I popped the second she was standing perfectly still as she didn't know where the first shot came from .