Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Single trigger question
Unread 04-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Jreed
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Single trigger question

I just picked up my DHE yesterday and had a question about its trigger. Im not sure if it's an early hunter trigger or what. It feels very good and is very crisp. One thing I noticed though is it shoots the left barrel first. Which doest really matter to me, but just sort of backwards to what I'm used too. I'm going to try and upload a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210417_165028.jpg (443.8 KB, 12 views)
John Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,352 Posts

It appears to be a selector in the left trigger slot. That is the same layout as a Parker Bros. single selective trigger, but that selector slide looks different than I'm use to seeing on Parkers. Others are likely more familiar with these single trigger variations than I.

Parker Bros. Single Selective Trigger 1923 01.jpg

Parker Bros. Single Selective Trigger 1923 02.jpg

I'm guessing if you slide it forward it will cover the L and an R will appear at the back end of it. Then your trigger will shoot the right barrel first.

What is the vintage of your gun? There were a number of after market single triggers being offered in the years before Parker Bros. offered one.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 04-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #3
Jreed
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the info. It is a 1907 model.
Unread 04-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
Jreed
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
It appears to be a selector in the left trigger slot. That is the same layout as a Parker Bros. single selective trigger, but that selector slide looks different than I'm use to seeing on Parkers. Others are likely more familiar with these single trigger variations than I.

Attachment 95431

Attachment 95432

I'm guessing if you slide it forward it will cover the L and an R will appear at the back end of it. Then your trigger will shoot the right barrel first.

What is the vintage of your gun? There were a number of after market single triggers being offered in the years before Parker Bros. offered one.
Your correct. It is a selector on the side. It was just really stiff to slide. There is an R engraved at the bottom. I guess it's a factory trigger.
Unread 04-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #5
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

If your chokes are so that the left is more tight than the right, as many doubles are, the previous owner may have used it for incoming doves or ducks, in which situations it is often the case that the tighter choked barrel (left) is used first when the bird is a good ways out, then the right barrel with the more open choke is used second on closer incomers, or if the first barrel missed. I do this often, with two trigger guns, to kill a double on incomers.

Many people with a single selective trigger gun set the selector in one position and seldom if ever move it. And, if the chokes are the same in both barrels, it doesn't really matter that much which barrel fires first anyway. I have a 16 ga. FWE LCS with 32" barrels, and HOT, that is like that. Both barrels are very tightly choked, and the only reason I ever move the HOT barrel selector is to keep from putting all the loads through the same barrel in the case of only one shot being fired at a bird.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

Looks like a Parker trigger with the selector set in the "left first" position. If you slide it so the "R" is visible, it will shoot the right barrel first. If it is a 1907 gun, the trigger is a factory retrofit. What is the serial number? Is it truly a 1907 gun?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
Jreed
PGCA Member

Member Info

Serial number is 148883. It was ordered with a double trigger, so I'm sure the SST was fit later in its life. When I purchased the gun, it was advertised as having a miller trigger, but I think it's definitely a Parker trigger.
Unread 05-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
Jreed
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well I took my old girl to the southeast regionals this past weekend for the SxS event. After running the first 3 stations, kaboooom! It started doubling. I was fortunate enough that another shooter in my squad let me finish the shoot with his CZ bobwhite. I guess it's time to send it off to get looked at. I shoot this gun really well, but can't have that in my head wondering if it's going to double when I pull the trigger. Hopefully it's an easy fix, or I may have double triggers put back on the gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Reed For Your Post: