Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 11-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'd sure try the polywad spreaders. They work like Gangbusters. Even the 16 ga version which is sort of as red headed step-child. If shot 1 is a spreader is a spreader and shot 2 is a standard round you effectively have a side by side. I use the spreaders in a 20 ga Model 11 full choke that is in close relation time and condition-wise to your 16. Works great but I shoot it rarely. I do have a Sweet 16 w/ Briley steel shot choke tubes in it and used it for roosters in the no-tox mandated public lands. It has killed bushel of roosters but I have relegated it to the safe as Parkers (my great-grandfather's DHE) are more fun.

The Sweet 16 has a lot of warts but is one heck of a rooster gun. I might be persuaded to sell it to a good home. I'd have to think about it.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kleist View Post
Rich has a good idea with the spreaders.....at least give it a try. You have nothing to lose. I had a choke opened on a shotgun once and it still paterned too tight for my liking. Spreaders solved the problem. If you are not happy, you can always go with screw ins or have it opened.
Besides, it is the journey, not necessarily the destination, that is the most fun. A reloading friend or a good reloading supply store can be most helpful for spreader information.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN
I am going to have to get into shotshell reloading.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kuzepski View Post
I enjoy reading these threads to see how people are approaching things. Out of all my shotguns I have and have had (quite a few) only one has an adjustable choke, it's a Stevens 94 in 16 ga with the tenite stock and a factory polychoke. I set the choke to what I expect to need before entering the field then leave it, all the others I just shoot what choke it has.
I still remember a tag line from a member on another forum: " Most misses are in feet and a choke only gives you inches". I'm not knocking screw in chokes, I just know what works for me.

Jack Kuzepski
LOL! I like the quote.

As I have mentioned here before, I have a friend who shoots a Model 12 full choked gun at skeet and he does pretty well. He is not only shooting a tight choke; he's pumping too. He'll usually miss three or four, but it he shot the same range with a skeet gun he'd bust'em all - easy. There just may be a method to his madness, huh.
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Christie View Post
I'd sure try the polywad spreaders. They work like Gangbusters. Even the 16 ga version which is sort of as red headed step-child. If shot 1 is a spreader is a spreader and shot 2 is a standard round you effectively have a side by side. I use the spreaders in a 20 ga Model 11 full choke that is in close relation time and condition-wise to your 16. Works great but I shoot it rarely. I do have a Sweet 16 w/ Briley steel shot choke tubes in it and used it for roosters in the no-tox mandated public lands. It has killed bushel of roosters but I have relegated it to the safe as Parkers (my great-grandfather's DHE) are more fun.

The Sweet 16 has a lot of warts but is one heck of a rooster gun. I might be persuaded to sell it to a good home. I'd have to think about it.
Seems to me that some guys can shoot over the hump and some cannot. Since some of my earliest shooting was with my grandfather's ancient Model 11, 12 ga, I'm used to that hump and I kinda prefer it.

I'm shooting a Model 11, 20 with a Polychoke at skeet now, and the Parker SBT at trap. I do change guns every now and then just because I like to, but it doesn't help my scores any.
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Use spreaders. IF your going to open the choke I'd do it as a fixed choke not a screw in type.
I have never re-bored a choke so that it does not match what is stamped on the barrel. [Actually I have, once.] I guess I'm thinking of the guy who buys the gun in a pawn shop sometime in the future, after I've gone to the big dove hunt in the sky.

My wife asks, "What am I going to do with all of these blankety-blank guns after you die?" I tell her to use them as bait to snag another husband, which causes her to think.

Maybe I should hire a food taster.
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #26
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

As I stated earlier I have opened the chokes on a couple of Parkers, Gunner's Parker is an excellent example as it was M/F and now it's skt/skt. I have been shooting tighter chokes on sporting clays in the belief tha it might help me concentrate more therefor improve my shooting. If I had a gun that was unsuited to my use and opening the choke would make it beneficial to me then I'd do it and not worry about the next guy who uses it.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I only have one shotgun with screw in choke tubes and it is a Remington 870 Police Model. I have only used the screw in chokes once when I was invited to go duck hunting and it was so I could use steel shot. It was the only gun I had suitable for steel. Having said that let's not forget that just because the shotgun barrel is marked with a choke designation doesn't mean it really IS that marked choke. I have heard of full choke guns which are really modified etc. I generally shoot side by sides and like them to be choked improved cylinder and modified. My Parker 12 gauge GH is improved modified and full and I seem to shoot it as well as any other gun I have. I used to shy away from any gun marked full choke as I couldn't hit anything with the full choke barrel. I don't know if my shooting has gotten better or guns I am using aren't really full choke. I suspect they are full choke though. I guess my long winded point is there really is a purpose for different chokes such as skeet or improved cylinder for quail. But if all you have is a full choke gun I guess it will do just fine.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,200 Times in 2,409 Posts

Dennis;
Choke probably had little to do with your improved shooting. More than likely the gun fit you much better and of course it was a Parker so there you go.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Makes sense to me except I shoot all of my guns a little better now. I don't know if I would like shooting skeet with a full choke but it sure would be fun to try.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Steve,

An interesting thought is that shooting a pump is not too much of a handicap. Several years ago I was giving some shooting tips to a younger (30 something) shooter at the skeet range. He was practicing before his father in law showed up. He said he needed the practice because his father in law shot an over under and always beat him; he was shooting a full choked well used model 12 Winchester. So I asked him "doesn't that gun almost eject the shell on its own?" He said that it did but he had to push the forend forward and that kind of threw him off on doubles. So I told him that he really had the advantage. When he held the forend in his left hand, let the first finger sit along the side of the forend and when the gun was fired let the shell almost eject itsself but when he pushed forward on the forend to point his finger toward the second target and remount the gun to his face in a smooth motion. He said he'd try it. I pulled skeet for the pair of them when the father in law showed up. They shot the usual 2 rounds of skeet. Father in law shot his usual 46 out of 50. Son in law ran 2 straights.

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Kuzepski For Your Post: