Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 11-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just bought a new/old Remington Model 11 in 16 gauge. I like 16s. It is a full choked gun and I'm sweating over the decision whether or not to have it threaded for choke tubes.

The gun is a 1931 issue in excellent shape and I kinda hate to futz with the bore, but when would I shoot a 16 with a full choke...?

I wanted a Browning Sweet Sixteen, but those things are spendy, so I bought this sorta sweetish Remington for about a quarter of the cost of the Browning gun and they really are about the same. If it had an open choke I'd shoot it at skeet. So the choke question has me all choked up...LOL.....sorry
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mr. McCarty,
It all depends upon why you bought the gun. Some folks buy them to shoot them.
Good Luck,
Steve Kleist
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kleist View Post
Mr. McCarty,
It all depends upon why you bought the gun. Some folks buy them to shoot them.
Good Luck,
Steve Kleist
Thank you, sir.
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Use spreaders. IF your going to open the choke I'd do it as a fixed choke not a screw in type.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Use spreaders. IF your going to open the choke I'd do it as a fixed choke not a screw in type.
Why?

I don't even know if I can get spreaders for a 16.
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Some 16ga spreader options.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spr.../products/661/

http://www.polywad.com/spredr-inserts.html
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Spreaders in a 16 are not hard to come by. RST makes very good ones. I wouldn't do screw in chokes because IMHO you have an older gun with this peconcieved modern contraption threaded into the barrel. I just really don't like them and have opened the chokes on a couple of Parkers but did it by going from full to Mod by reaming out the choke. I have never changed a choke tube even when I had guns with this option. I passed on a nice Purdy 16 once because someone put Briley thin wall chokes in it!
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Spreaders in a 16 are not hard to come by. RST makes very good ones. I wouldn't do screw in chokes because IMHO you have an older gun with this peconcieved modern contraption threaded into the barrel. I just really don't like them and have opened the chokes on a couple of Parkers but did it by going from full to Mod by reaming out the choke. I have never changed a choke tube even when I had guns with this option. I passed on a nice Purdy 16 once because someone put Briley thin wall chokes in it!
You have, of course, give voice to my delima. Except for some slight rust feathering on some of the receiver the gun is new. While it looks like it came out of the factory last week (except for the slight rust spots) it is 81 years old!

Bore was dirty, I scrubbed it out last night and she came up absolutely new. No wear on the lower tang. So the gun was in a closet somewhere where it survived for a generation or two.

Last night I had made my decision to have it threaded, and now I've changed it again. I'll get the spreaders and see how she shoots at skeet. I can drop a spreader into the chamber and slide a normal shell up the magazine and have a non-selecting double barrel, right?

These old Model 11's are almost considered as junk in the collector world. I think they are much better shotguns than that. They work like a Browning, but heft a little differently and are a slightly different shape.

Also the bead is mounted on a little pedistal to compensate for the thickness of the receiver. If held so the pedistal can be seen the gun will shoot a little high so you can get some float at the trap range, which I like and it compensates for the lower comb. I think - I have yet to shoot the gun. I got it just a few days ago.
Unread 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McCarty View Post
You have, of course, give voice to my delima. Except for some slight rust feathering on some of the receiver the gun is new. While it looks like it came out of the factory last week (except for the slight rust spots) it is 81 years old!

Bore was dirty, I scrubbed it out last night and she came up absolutely new. No wear on the lower tang. So the gun was in a closet somewhere where it survived for a generation or two.

Last night I had made my decision to have it threaded, and now I've changed it again. I'll get the spreaders and see how she shoots at skeet. I can drop a spreader into the chamber and slide a normal shell up the magazine and have a non-selecting double barrel, right?

These old Model 11's are almost considered as junk in the collector world. I think they are much better shotguns than that. They work like a Browning, but heft a little differently and are a slightly different shape.

Also the bead is mounted on a little pedistal to compensate for the thickness of the receiver. If held so the pedistal can be seen the gun will shoot a little high so you can get some float at the trap range, which I like and it compensates for the lower comb. I think - I have yet to shoot the gun. I got it just a few days ago.
Rich has a good idea with the spreaders.....at least give it a try. You have nothing to lose. I had a choke opened on a shotgun once and it still paterned too tight for my liking. Spreaders solved the problem. If you are not happy, you can always go with screw ins or have it opened.
Besides, it is the journey, not necessarily the destination, that is the most fun. A reloading friend or a good reloading supply store can be most helpful for spreader information.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kleist For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Jack Kuzepski
Forum Associate

Member Info

I enjoy reading these threads to see how people are approaching things. Out of all my shotguns I have and have had (quite a few) only one has an adjustable choke, it's a Stevens 94 in 16 ga with the tenite stock and a factory polychoke. I set the choke to what I expect to need before entering the field then leave it, all the others I just shoot what choke it has.
I still remember a tag line from a member on another forum: " Most misses are in feet and a choke only gives you inches". I'm not knocking screw in chokes, I just know what works for me.

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Kuzepski For Your Post: