Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 10-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #61
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Sorry Joe...Didn't mean to hijack this thread. I was just responding to a post directed to me. Now back to .410's.......
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #62
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Make that "Eagle EYES" Dave--

Eagle eyes is the magazine for current and retired members of the storied 101st A/B Div- not my branch of service, but at age almost 70 my distance vision is still 20/15 uncorrected in each eye (much like Gen. Chuck Yeager's when he was 'three score and ten"--

Your article was first class, I just have that keen sniper's eyes for details, and when I see something amiss- it jumps out at me- like our area NAPA store with the sign-- Parts Manuels on Sale for John Deer, J.C. Case- etc- You don't need to be fluent in Spanish ( Asi como yo y Angel Cruz) to know that was a miss-spelling of the work for "parts book/schematics- aka manuals- also as I own three of their fine Green and Yellow tractors, it is John Deere, also J.I. Case- not J.C. as in Pennys-- The owner is a good friend, he corrected the spelling after I told him, and gave me 4 quarts of Pennzoil 10-W-40 for those tractors (one is a 530- two are lawn and garden tractors with USA mfg. Kohler cast iron block engines)--

Yes, one of my many faults is that I am 'windy" that may be due to my having dyslexia as a youth- back in the 1940-1950 Parochial school era, they didn't recognize that, the Nuns had a 'field day" with me and their rulers, trying to "beat that Devil out of me"-- But I am not alone, my favorite of many US Army Generals, George Smith Patton Jr., was also dyslexic, barely made it from VMI into West Point and graduated at the bottom of his class-

If I have any virtues, a question open for debate I am sure, it is that I am 100% loyal to my friends and subscribe to the "Guy Code" and the meaning of "Semper Fi" As we are not friends, just fellow members of the PGCA, I most likely tend to 'over-explain" things to you in an effort not to be misunderstood- one Pollack to another--

Maybe we should employ your"eagle eye"as a proof reader for Parker Pages....[/quote] How much does it pay??
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #63
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,756 Posts

Francis' alter ego whom I described from the doublegunshop.com forum is an agravating personality who has chosen to imitate Francis by posting lengthy, meaningless posts unrelated to the subject of the thread. He had become so harmful to the harmony of the forum that our friend Dave Weber was forced to give him a temporary rest in the form of a suspension, a fate that Francis suffered a while back on this site for similar behavior.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Come on Bill- time to give it a "rest"
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #64
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Come on Bill- time to give it a "rest"

I just revisited the doublegunshop site and logged in as RWTF- and posted a question about an Ithaca 12 NID for sale. I have not received any notification from Dave Weber that my "membership" is suspended for any reasons. I would hope that you or any other of my "detractors" who seem to object to my long and rambling posts and replies, both here on the PGCA and on the DoubleGunShop, would take the time to visit that site and see that I am telling the truth. I have not been "banned" or suspended- if truth be told, and here I am violating one of my salient rules- that being- "What happens on the PGCA Forum stays on the PGCA Forum and does NOT transpose to any other Forum, ditto in vice versa from the DoubleGunShop forum to here-- But from being a member there for about 4 years, I might think that "Homeless Joe" and now the hapless Mr. Ed Good might also be "in the running" if Dave Weber is, indeed, compiling a "Fecal roster" of obstreperous members whom he wishes to evict from the premises, as it were.

I have tried to 'make the peace" with you for a long time, apparently to know avail howsome-ever. IMO, you came very close to calling me a "liar' about the two AH 12 Parkers that my late maternal grandfather left me in his estate- you demanded fotos and evidence- I do not know, nor really care, how many of those fine guns were made, nor do I ever wish to display fotos of them here, or take them to any shows or side-by-side shootfests- that is my option, and if i had it to do here over again, I would have just mentioned the two "plain Jane" 12 Trojans I owned in years past and left the AH "dogs to sleep"==

Now, for some strange reasoning beyond my ken, you continue to post what I might call a 'patent untruth' and like a Philadelphia lawyer in Court- the proof is at hand. All you needed to do to resolve this "issue" in an amicable manner suitable, IMO, for a LIFE MEMBER OF THIS AUGUST ASSN.- is to take my suggestion and visit the Double Gun Shop forum and look up my recent post (made about 10 minutes ago) re: the Ithaca NID 12. If that is NOT sufficient proof to you that you unfounded staements are false and inaccurate, then I don't know what it will take to satisy you.

What is it about me that 'sets you off in such a tizzy' Bill. Is it the fact that I inherited two fairly good Parker 12 bores, guns that perhaps you and some of the other "Eastern Seaboard Mafia" here might have had to buy? That is pure "luck of the draw"- if I had a brother, along with 6 sisters, he would have received one of those two Parkers I am sure.

Yes I ramble. Is that a crime in your lexicon. I sell a fair number of guns and gun parts, those that are permitted of course, to brother members here on the PGCA, and always offer a 100 & return NQA-- I have yet had one single item returned or questioned as to its accuracy after it was received. I also have between 60 and 70 friends through the PGCA, I haven't looked at your profile for that detail, assume you have at least that many or more, being both a Lifer and a member since 3rd. grade. Impressive.

We do no good to the growth of the PGCA by having this 'dirty linen' aired. What if you were a new prospective member here, and you came across this thread, which, I will admit, has gotten waaaaaaaay outta hand (IMO anyway) what would you say about two grown men, both of whom served our Country- you in the Army's 82nd A/B Div- and myself in the USMC, having such a public 'to do", reminds me of the line from a Rogers & Hammerstein musical score-- "A lot of tempest in a pot of tea"__

So, what do you say here, Bill. Let's 'bury the hatchet' at least for the good of the PGCA, and leave the DoubleGunShop forum out of our discussions here, as it does not work. I'll still offer to buy you a drink when Mae and I visit my baby sister and her husband in Germantown, MD.

I bear you no ill will- as Confucious once so wisely said: "A man who carries a grudge will end up digging two graves"! I don't know about you, but I'll save my digging energy for pit blinds for goose hunting!
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #65
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Francis, I did not read your last post, but I assume that you incorrectly think that I am referring to you as the person who was suspended over on the other forum. It is not you whom I am referring to.
Okay-if you say so-
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #66
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Okay-if you say so-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Francis, I did not read your last post, but I assume that you incorrectly think that I am referring to you as the person who was suspended over on the other forum. It is not you whom I am referring to.
And as what is sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander, and as I just "adjusted' the syntax of brother Suponski's recent article in PP, allow me to extend the same courtesy to your reply- It is NOT proper grammer to end a sentence in a preposition. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant to write "It is not you to whom I am referring"--

I hope the possible proof reading job for our PP that Dave Suponski alluded to in his kind reply to me becomes available. I would be very pleased to accept that post if so offered. -30-
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #67
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thank you, Francis. I try to be grammatically correct, but sometimes that "dangling preposition" is the hardest nut to crack. By the way, I saw some great Parkers at the Chantilly, VA gun show this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #68
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

A grammar teacher once told me Your classroom shenanigans are a distraction up with which I shall not put.

Off to detention - something I occasionally had to put up with. Ooops
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #69
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This thread has been hijacked and gone twice around the world now so:

"Is it acceptable to end a sentence in a preposition?"

From Wikipedia / Wiki Answers:

Yes. It is perfectly acceptable.

There is a very common misunderstanding that, in proper English grammar, one should never end a sentence with a preposition (of, at, on, in, etc.).

It is perfectly acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition, as long as that preposition is critical to the meaning of the sentence.

I am Edmond Weiss, author of of the book referred to as Writing Remedies, but which is actually called 100 Writing Remedies. Although this book does contain the passage "Do not end a sentence with a preposition," in fact I never wrote that sentence. What I wrote was: A preposition is a word you should not end a sentence with. The young copy editor at Oryx Press did not get the joke, replaced my sentence with the one you quoted, and refused to follow my instructions to put things back. There is not now, nor has there ever been, any rule against ending an English sentence with a preposition.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_prop...#ixzz1aIaDUfMh

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_prop..._a_preposition

Addtionally:

Some sentences do properly end with a preposition The learnèd fools set you up. Do not give in. This phony rule is nothing we must put up with. Latin sentences may not end with a preposition, but it is perfectly correct in English.

There is nothing grammatically incorrect, at least in the English language, about ending a sentence with a preposition. Technically, this is referred to as "preposition stranding", and it occurs any time a preposition and its object are separated, not just at the end of a sentence (Note, the separation of the preposition and its object must be by more than an adjective or two to qualify as preposition stranding: "with a sunny disposition" is not preposition stranding. Also, preposition stranding usually involves reversing the usual order, i.e., placing the object somewhere before the preoposition.) But wherever in the sentence it occurs, there is absolutely nothing wrong with preposition stranding. What is wrong is to rearrange a sentence in a way that makes it cumbersome or less understandable, all in an effort to follow this false rule.

One example sentence commonly (and deceitfully) used to show that preposition-stranding is incorrect is "Where is the library at?". This sentence is absolutely incorrect, but not because it ends with a preposition. It is incorrect because "at" is not needed. To see this, simply rearrange the sentence by putting "where" after "at", as in "The library is at where?" Doesn't make sense, does it? If you asked the question this way, you would omit "at", and so it is not necessary. However, if I instead asked "Which building is the library in?", that would be perfectly acceptable.

By the way, though the first answerer is correct in his/her conclusion, I need to point out that neither of the first two sentences given as examples actually ends with a preposition. Though "up" and "in" can be used as prepositions, they are not prepositions the way they are used in those two sentences, but are instead adverbs. Also, in the third sentence, though "with" is a preposition, "up" is not. The way you can tell is that a preposition always has an object, somewhere in the sentence, even if it's not immediately after the preposition.

Here are some better examples of grammatically-correct English sentences that end with prepositions:

What are you talking about? ("about" is the preposition, "what" is the object)

That's the girl I'm going out with. ("with" and "that")

What are you looking at? ("at" and "what")

Put this back where you got it from. ("from" and "where (you got it)")

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_should...#ixzz1aIb8ZEqq

Best,

Mike
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Shepherd For Your Post:
Winston Churchill and Mae West
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #70
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Winston Churchill and Mae West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shepherd View Post
This thread has been hijacked and gone twice around the world now so:

"Is it acceptable to end a sentence in a preposition?"

From Wikipedia / Wiki Answers:

Yes. It is perfectly acceptable.

There is a very common misunderstanding that, in proper English grammar, one should never end a sentence with a preposition (of, at, on, in, etc.).

It is perfectly acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition, as long as that preposition is critical to the meaning of the sentence.

I am Edmond Weiss, author of of the book referred to as Writing Remedies, but which is actually called 100 Writing Remedies. Although this book does contain the passage "Do not end a sentence with a preposition," in fact I never wrote that sentence. What I wrote was: A preposition is a word you should not end a sentence with. The young copy editor at Oryx Press did not get the joke, replaced my sentence with the one you quoted, and refused to follow my instructions to put things back. There is not now, nor has there ever been, any rule against ending an English sentence with a preposition.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_prop...#ixzz1aIaDUfMh

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_prop..._a_preposition

Addtionally:

Some sentences do properly end with a preposition The learnèd fools set you up. Do not give in. This phony rule is nothing we must put up with. Latin sentences may not end with a preposition, but it is perfectly correct in English.

There is nothing grammatically incorrect, at least in the English language, about ending a sentence with a preposition. Technically, this is referred to as "preposition stranding", and it occurs any time a preposition and its object are separated, not just at the end of a sentence (Note, the separation of the preposition and its object must be by more than an adjective or two to qualify as preposition stranding: "with a sunny disposition" is not preposition stranding. Also, preposition stranding usually involves reversing the usual order, i.e., placing the object somewhere before the preoposition.) But wherever in the sentence it occurs, there is absolutely nothing wrong with preposition stranding. What is wrong is to rearrange a sentence in a way that makes it cumbersome or less understandable, all in an effort to follow this false rule.

One example sentence commonly (and deceitfully) used to show that preposition-stranding is incorrect is "Where is the library at?". This sentence is absolutely incorrect, but not because it ends with a preposition. It is incorrect because "at" is not needed. To see this, simply rearrange the sentence by putting "where" after "at", as in "The library is at where?" Doesn't make sense, does it? If you asked the question this way, you would omit "at", and so it is not necessary. However, if I instead asked "Which building is the library in?", that would be perfectly acceptable.

By the way, though the first answerer is correct in his/her conclusion, I need to point out that neither of the first two sentences given as examples actually ends with a preposition. Though "up" and "in" can be used as prepositions, they are not prepositions the way they are used in those two sentences, but are instead adverbs. Also, in the third sentence, though "with" is a preposition, "up" is not. The way you can tell is that a preposition always has an object, somewhere in the sentence, even if it's not immediately after the preposition.

Here are some better examples of grammatically-correct English sentences that end with prepositions:

What are you talking about? ("about" is the preposition, "what" is the object)

That's the girl I'm going out with. ("with" and "that")

What are you looking at? ("at" and "what")

Put this back where you got it from. ("from" and "where (you got it)")

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_shouldn't_you_end_a_sentence_with_a_prepositio n#ixzz1aIb8ZEqq

Best,

Mike
Hey, I only know what the Nuns beat into us in English composition. Sister Cecelia obres de cojones de laton (not Latin) often quoted the fat Limey PM-- "An umbrella is something out with which I shall not go in a rainstorm" (A common place event in The Big Foggy I hear tell- Now Mae West- de las grandes tetons-- always ended her sentences with a proposition- but she wasn't a Nun, now was she--