Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Fred C. Borst stamp on forend
Unread 10-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Cyril Bodnar
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Fred C. Borst stamp on forend

I've been searching for information on the name/marking on the underside of the forend on lifter #5045. There doesn't seem to be any mention of Mr. Borst in any of the major works on Parker guns, and I haven't seen any mention of his name in forums on the web either. So, I did some investigation on my own, and have found some small amount of information on Borst that may be of interest to others who have seen this marking on their guns. If anyone has additional or alternate information, I would love to hear about it!

First, here is the marking:
Forend Stamp.jpg

It appears that Mr Borst may have been involved with Parker Brothers in some capacity for a period of time. A limited timeline of events connected with the name are as follows:

Fred C. Borst (1841? - 1883?)

1841: Born in Ogden, NY?
1850: Federal Census - Listed as age 9 with parents in Ogden, NY.
1860: Federal Census - Listed as age 19 with parents in Ogden, NY.
1870: Federal Census - Already married (Lucy - spouse, Sons John & Frederick), and listed as 'Clerk in Drugstore' in Ogden, NY.
1870 - 1873: Changed Occupations / moved to Meriden, CT.
1873: Meriden City Directory - Home on Crown (corner of Grant), occupation listed as 'Gunsmith'.
1874: Meriden City Directory - Home on South Crown, occupation listed as 'Mechanic'.
1875: Parker #5045 manufactured.
1878: Meriden City Directory - Home at 31 Olive, occupation listed as 'Mechanic'.
1879: Meriden City Directory - Home at 31 Olive, occupation listed as 'Mechanic'.
1880: Federal Census - Living with family (Lucy (spouse), John, Frederick, Alice & Ada) at 31 Olive St. Occupation listed as 'Work in Gunshop.' He lives in the same dwelling (a double/rowhouse?) as Oscar Parker (who's occupation is listed as 'machinist', and may be the same person listed as Machine Shop Foreman and pictured in "The Parker Story", Vol. II, Pg.487)
1881: Meriden City Directory - Home at 31 Olive, listed as 'Mechanic'.
1882: Meriden City Directory - Home at 31 Olive, listed as 'Mechanic'.
1883: Meriden City Directory - Home at 31 Olive, listed as 'Mechanic'.
1883: Meriden City Directory (another publisher?) - Shows Mrs. Lucy Borst (and not her husband).
1883: Presumed deceased during the year?
1884: Meriden City Directory - Lists wife Lucy as 'Widow', with home at 31 Olive St.

It is curious that over his time in Meriden, he has had his occupation listed variously as 'mechanic' and 'gunsmith'. One can make an assertion based on all the above that the records I've listed relate to the man who stamped the forend on #5045. However, at no point have I been able to find a specific tie-in to the Parker Brothers gun company by name.

How long did he work at/for Parker? What job(s) did he hold? Hopefully, someone has additional information to add to this story. I'd love to learn more about the people who played a part in the making of this gun.
Cyril Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril Bodnar For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

A great piece of research Cyril - I hope you are able find the connection you're looking for.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Side X Side
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wonder if he owned the gun and that was a way for him to identify it just in case.
richard lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

The Parker Story has mention of three names that appeared as stampings on early forend wood. I am assuming that this is name number four.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Jim Akins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here is a photo of the name stamped on the forend of #3885, it is one of the names mentioned in the Parker Story.

Jim A.

Jim Akins is offline   Reply With Quote