Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #31
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I understand buying/selling/collecting, but it seems to me this happens all too often. It's hard for people who want to buy a gun to keep and use when there are so many people buying them up to make a profit. How many times does a gun sell +$500-1000? before it ends up in someone's safe for good. I can't tell you how many times I've missed out at an auction and found the gun forsale for two grand higher than it sold a week later. I know it's a business, if you don't have money you shouldn't play, blah blah, it's frustrating. My two cents, don't mean to hurt any feelings.

Chris
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #32
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Paul, Petersen provenance is less important than the fact that Petersen's guns are the cream of the crop in some cases. Visit the NFM and you will wonder how he accumulated his guns. It seems like one man couldn't possibly do it. I have not seen the Petersen Automotive Museum, but it is probably the same "cream of the crop" type of collection.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #33
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Bill,

I totally agree with you about Bob Peterson. He was a one of a kind collector and gentleman. He also had the financial where with all to purchase the best & most special of everything. This BHE .410 repro being one of them. It's quite possibly the nicest and one of the rarest of the Parker repro's.

The point that I was trying to make was that Bob is very well known to us now, but how many will truly remember him a generation from now?

As far as the gun goes:
We all know what it sold for at auction just a few weeks ago and now it's the seller that is making a big deal out of it being ordered by Bob Peterson for his collection. When I read the ad I took it that the seller thinks the gun is worth over double what he paid for it because of the provenance. IMO the seller is just fishing hoping to find the right buyer that doesn't know or care that the gun was just hammered at auction for less than half of the asking price.

What is an acceptable profit margin and where does the line get drawn for being ripped off? Only each of as indivduals can answer that question for themselves. If someone buy's this gun at the asking price and is good with it so am I & I wish them the best.

One thing for sure though is the internet has changed the game considerably. A few years ago we wouldn't have know instantly the auction sale price or would we be having this discussion about it.

I just wish one of the members here would have won the auction and been able to put the gun in his collection. Then we would have been congratulating him for winning it, rather than talking about someone trying to hit a home run profit wise.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #34
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I agree with everything you say and the collector who keeps his nose to the ground is in the best position to keep up with the moneychangers.
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #35
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

It's the same buyer/seller of this .410 that has the Duck Stamp Special for sale at a cool $60G. If he should eventually get his asking prices for these two guns you're looking at $86,000.00! Contemplate that for a moment . . . who'da thunk it for a couple of Repros?
Unread 07-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #36
AmarilloMike
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I believe that as long as the seller is not misrepresenting the guns he should ask for them what he thinks he can get for them. If he makes a mistake at an auction and pays too much for a gun he will probably be the one to take the financial whipping. If he makes a good deal at an auction I don't see that it obligates him to sell at less than he can get for the gun.

I have owned a small business for twenty nine years and have fielded many questions from individuals about prices being high. When it came time to make Friday payroll or pay the note at the bank I noticed I was always alone and on my own. The selling price is independent of what the product cost the seller in my opinion.

Best,

Mike
Mike Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #37
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mike,
You hit the nail on the head, I can't disagree with you. In my thick Polish head, I think it's more important that these guns find good homes where they can be enjoyed instead for bought and sold for profit.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 07-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #38
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mike, Don't forget the tax collector.
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #39
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

???
Unread 07-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #40
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
The collector who keeps his nose to the ground is in the best position to keep up with the moneychangers.
Very well said !!
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote