Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Turkey hunting stories
Unread 03-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
hugh rather
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Turkey hunting stories

Anyone go this weekend? Not hearing many in North Ms.
hugh rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Hugh, we have another month to go before our season, and our birds are still in flocks...although I have seen some Toms wandering along with the family groups near our house.

Oh, for gobbling time! Good luck to you down South.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i went friday i had no luck...not a sound or a track or a dropping seen....i have heard of 2 gobblers killed in my area.....others say the same thing i did no luck yet.... i did get them long range 12 ga shells the new tss tungston federal load in no 9 shot with 2 1/4 ounce of shot.i did pattern it in a benelli automatic...it will take a turkey at 70 yards on paper.....with room to spare unbelievable pattern...also got a 20 ga load 3 inch that got 1 1/2 ounce of shot in it called 3 rd degree suppose to be good up close and mid range and out to 50 yards...aint tried the 20 yet ive never hunted with a 20 ga for turkeys...just the old 8 gas the 10 ga my favorite and the 12 ga used a 16 ga a coupla times but never got a shot with it....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

this new tss shot does say on the pacage it could be harmful to gun barrels so shoot it at your own risk it says on box...the shot is harder than steel.....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #5
hugh rather
PGCA Member

Member Info

The 20's are great with the tungsten shot ; very impressive on ducks. Patterns like nothing else in a 20 with great penetration.Cannot bring myself to use it in a Parker but good in the 1100 3".
hugh rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I would think plastic shot cups with #8 or 9 shot should be okay in Parker barrels.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh rather View Post
The 20's are great with the tungsten shot ; very impressive on ducks. Patterns like nothing else in a 20 with great penetration.Cannot bring myself to use it in a Parker but good in the 1100 3".
I was thinking the same thing if I was gonna shoot the new shot I’d use an 870 , 1100 or 11/87 . And if you scored the barrel no biggie just get a new barrel .
Unread 03-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

SC comes in Wednesday and Georgia comes in Saturday. Looking forward to it and hope other "stuff" does not get in the way of me going at least by Saturday
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

report from north Miss. Opening day Friday the 15. Winter trying to turn into spring. Overcast very little wind temps. in the high30's. heard a couple just across the railroad off of club property, but they will cross on to us they do it all the time. Set facing east 100 yards off the railroad 50 yards from a small field and here comes the train. Trains do seem to mess up turkeys. I think It is because they have seen and heard them since the day they were hatched. After train got out of the way the woods settled down I yelped a couple times and leaded back against my tree just enjoying being there. After 3 or 4 minutes A turkey gobbled then a gobbled again in a couple minutes. Then I realized the turkey was behind me. ( I am totally deaf in my right ear and have awful time with sound direction ) I slipped to another tree 4 feet away got set. About this time he was to close to move and I was in a open area too open. there he was dark as night with red head bobing as angled toward me. He got to about 75 yards and stopped fanned out gobbled and really put on the show. I yelped a time or two over the next 20 minutes and he walked back and forth looking for than hen. It was so damned open where I was and the gobbler knew if there hen there and she moved he would see her. He gobbled and gobbled and double gobbled on his own. Never in 48 years of turkey hunting have I seen a gobbler get this worked up this early in the season. It was like late April and all the hens are nesting and he had been cut off for week by all the girl turkeys. He was so loud I was thinking That he was going to call up every turkey in the bottom. All at once he starts acting uneasy looking back and walking back and forth and here comes 2 gobblers fanned out the running toward him. They face off gobble at each other and play whip ass for a short time while I setting there praying they run the SOB by me. ( had that to happen one time) All at once they stop and the 2 newcomers begin to walk off. Guess they made there minds there was no need to fight since was no hen. After a very short time the first gobbler just walked away and I just relaxed thinking only six more weeks of this and what a way to start the season. Know where I will Saturday.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Daniel, It sounds like you were in the right spot and got to see a good show. A successful hunt in my book. Keep us posted.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: