Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

How do you go "back" on the list of topics?
Unread 07-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Ross Goldsmith
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default How do you go "back" on the list of topics?

Today I noticed that when I opened a forum (displaying the threads) and open a thread, I can't get back to the list of threads in that forum. Instead, it seems that I can only go to the list of forums, open a forum and then -- once again see the list of topics or threads.

Basically, I'm not able to locate the handy "back" button that would take me back to the list of threads in the forum. I seems that the webpage is formatted so as to cover the handy "back" function on the browser page. Actually, what is happening is that on clicking a forum, I am opening a new page.

Probably a dumb question with an obvious (to everyone but me) solution, but I'm stumped -- I'm easily stumped with technology more advanced than carbon paper.

Ross Goldsmith
Ross Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

There should be a back arrow at the top left of your screen. Sometimes I need to double click on the back arrow button to fully exit a topic or thread.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Captain Bob

Member Info

Ross,

If it helps, here is the way I have found most economical to the navigate the site:

I have bookmarked the forum:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/

This will take you to the “home” page of the forum. Take note that my computer is on a network in my office and the network is always up and hence I do not log on and off the forum unless I have to reboot my station. And even in that circumstance I think I have also set up my machine to remember my user name and password. If you are using a dial up or have to fight with the better half or the kids for access, you can probably use some form of remember me to get on quickly.

Anyhow, when I get to the “home” or “welcome” page, I scan down the left side looking for the blinking icons which show which forums have new postings - If you are like me, you will have to look extra close to tell the gray from the brown and see the blinking (John D. take note!). Quite likely General Parker Discussions under Parker Forums will be the first place you will want to look, so click on the underlined heading General Parker Discussions.

This will take you to the “Threads in Forum : General Parker Discussions
Now look for the icons on the left indicating that there are unread postings to a thread - you will find a display of these icons and what they mean by scrolling all the way at the bottom of this page - the unread icon is the little orange figure with what looks like a tiny white page of type. When you see a thread that indicates an unread posting, look in front of the thread title to see if there is a little gray/black square with a down pointing arrow. If there is a down pointing arrow in a square, click on it and it will take you to the first posting in that thread you have not yet read. You can then read the new posting to the bottom of the page.

Now you have an option and you can develop a habit or method that suits you. First option - you can look at the page indicator on the right just after the last posting and before the tag and Quick Reply boxes. If you see that there are one or more higher number pages you have not visited, you can click on the next page number or the next page arrow and go to the next page and keep reading.
Second option and the one I have found most convenient - finish reading the last post on the page and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate the Forum Jump link. (Ross, here is the answer to your question.) You will see that the default is to the forum you have been visiting - in this case, General Parker Discussions. If you click on the Go button, you will be taken back to the top of the General Parker Discussions, AND you MIGHT see that the down arrow is still in front of the title of the thread you just read. If the down arrow is still there it means that here is another page you have not visited yet, and clicking on the arrow will now take you to the top of that next unvisited page. If there are not any more pages, the down arrow will be gone and you can move on to the next new or newly posted titles or threads, looking again for a down arrow. Meanwhile, if you are looking at other titles or threads and some one posts to one of the threads you have already read, the down arrow will appear again; click on it and you will be taken to the new posting in that thread.

Now, let’s say you have looked at all of the new threads and new postings in General Parker Discussion and you want to visit another forum. Again, you have a couple of options using the Forum Jump link. First you can click on the text portion and open the jump window and select a specific forum and click on it; but from here, you will not know if there are any new or unread postings in the forum you are selecting to visit. Second, here is the one I find fastest and most informative. Click on the Go button again and return to the top of the forum you have been visiting and take one last look for any new postings. If there are none, look above in the “welcome” box and look for the first active link after the little open folder icon followed by the underlined “Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums” link. Click on this link and it will take you back to the “home” or “welcome” page with all the groups of forums showing. The reason for using this method is that using this link rather than your browser back button is that it will reload or refresh the home page and the status of the various forums - blinking or non-blinking gray/brown icon will be updated and again you will know if someone has posted something in any of the forums while you have been reading elsewhere.

That’s it; sorry if this seems a bit long and wordy, but it is what works smoothest for me and keeps me up to the moment vis-a-vis others’ posting while I am visiting the site.

Oh - one last item to keep in mind - At the very bottom, on the right, in the border, there are four handy links: Contact Us, PGCA Website, Archive, and Top. The link to the PGCA Website is the one to reference and direct people to if they want to check serial numbers and the like.

Ross, hope this helps...
Visit Bob Roberts's homepage!