Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Advice on repair/restoration with badly broken stock
Unread 09-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #11
A. Muller
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Advice on repair/restoration with badly broken stock

I am a new member and just recently fell in love with my first Parker. In May I inherited my grandfathers gun collection following the death of my grandmother. There are some real beauties in the collection including a Rigby, Perazzi and this Parker.
I am sending away for my research letter and realize it will take some time before I see it. I am posting a few pictures in hopes someone can give me more information on the gun. The stock has a tragic break and I wonder if it could be repaired/replaced or even worth it to do so. It is in major need of clean up and I am considering restoration over selling. I couldn't capture the detailed scroll work with the camera but it is beautiful. I think with a good cleaning it will look amazing.
This is what I know so far; serial number dates gun for 1899, CH grade 4, 12 gauge, titanic steal,. 2 3/4" 3 1/4 tons per , sleeved

I am a novice and any help is greatly appreciated.
A. Muller - Ma
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

IMG_20140904_222337440~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_221303835~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_222824389~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_222630499~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_222420781~2~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_221712365~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_224327759_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_223319495~2.jpg

IMG_20140904_224137426~2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140904_224025007~2.jpg (496.8 KB, 8 views)
Alicia Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia Muller For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

Hi Alicia ,and welcome to the forum ....the break on your gun is in a very thin spot ,not much there to work with ,but it would really need to be in the hands of the person doing the work for a proper assessment ...one good thing though ,it looks quite clean and it is of the utmost importance you keep it that way until it gets in the hands of the person doing the work ...the cleaner the break the better the potential repair

The barrels have been sleeved and reproved in Britan meaning the original set was cut just ahead of the chambers and fitted with new fluid steel tubes, this was done because of the unfounded paranoia of the day regarding the strength of Damascus ,if that's what the originals were ...or maybe possible damage of the original set, not a good thing in the eyes of a collector but not so serious to a shooter.

The gun has great engraving and nice wood ,IMHO it is definitely worth looking into a clean up and potential repair .

Good luck with it
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I agree with Chris Dawe on all points except that the gun wasn't made with Damascus barrels, it was made with Titanic fluid steel barrels. Must have been on the 1-frame as 3lbs, 6 oz. is relatively light. I'll guess the barrels were somehow damaged and required replacement.... odd that it wasn't just sent back to Parker Bros. or Remington unless the gun was in England at the time of the damage.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,420 Times in 4,595 Posts

It is truely unfourtunately that your CH has been sleeved. That effects the value of the gun quite a bit. And your CH would have a lot of value if it were an original gun.

I think repair/replacement of the stock is a good option for you.

The good thing that I notice from the few photos you post is that the barrel work looks to be of very good quality. The additional Stampings may be the only real hint to people that the barrels were sleeved.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
A. Muller
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow! Very helpful guys, thank you. Chris & Dean- I was wondering about the barrels. There is a D stamp that I thought might have been from original Damascus but I was hoping that wasn't the case.
But.. If so why would the rib be stamped titanic steel? I did find the 1 stamp on the barrel lug indicating frame size. ...Forgive me for my inexperience... ; )
I really wish I had more history on her! Unraveling the mystery just adds to the charm right? Hopefully I will get some answers from the research letter. I searched the serial number for the original order tags and they are available. Should I order that as well? What do you guys think? I might have to wait a few months because of the cost.

I am positive that the barrel was replaced before my Grandfather acquired it. The stock break was a tragic accident maybe 15 years ago by my Uncle. He took possession of the gun for a few years after the death of my father. Its been taped up until recently when I needed to get a better look. I will wrap it back up immediately to not cause any additional damage.

One more question - How do I move my post from Mills thread to its own? I didn't even realize that I posted original message as a reply. I am going to blame that one on the time of my post...

Brian Dudley - I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw you responded to my post. Thank you! I was JUST given your contact information (along with a glowing review of your work) from a trusted friend the day before. Could I message you privately about possible repair work? other options? My email is AMuller77@yahoo.com
Alicia Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Alicia, Parker ser. no. 93201 shows in the Ser & ID book as a TI4 H 0 S 28 12 which, translated, is a Titanic Steel barreled Grade 4, Hammerless, 0 options, Straight grip, 28 inch barreled 12 gauge. I don't see the D you refer to but that doesn't matter at this point as we know the barrels were not originally Damascus.

Incidenally, where in MA are you? - I live in Andover.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 09-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #17
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,420 Times in 4,595 Posts

Yes Alicia, feel free to contact me privately either through this site or through my website.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,400 Times in 3,074 Posts

It's hard to believe our esteemed Director, and Editor of the Parker Pages forgot to mention to you that if you order a letter for your gun, as a forum associate, the cost will be $100. However, if you join the PGCA, easily done on-line, from the home page, your $40 membership fee will entitle you to research letters at $40, plus four quarterly issues of the afore mentioned Parker Pages magazine, which is perhaps worth well beyond the annual membership fee.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Guilty as charged...

Thanks Edgar.
Unread 09-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #20
rosswrites
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great thread. Need some advice. Just bought a Parker DH vintage 1906. Nice and tight. Heavily hunted. Bores fair, Skeleton butt. A previous owner had a smith silver solder (?) a shield to the rear of the trigger guard to protect his middle finger when he shot. Want to have it removed and to have the gun cleaned up, but not restored.

What do you think? Who could do a good job on this this.

Thanks for your ideas,

John Ross
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker DH Trigger guard sm.jpg (321.8 KB, 2 views)
John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote