Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Repro Repair
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Default Repro Repair

Hi,

This is my first post although I have been reading your comments for years. Many years ago I purchased a 20 ga. repro(26 inch, pistol grip, splinter, double trigger) that immediately became my favorite grouse/woodcock gun. I also shoot it at 5-stand quite a bit prior to the season start, about 1000 rounds per year). I always wondered how I would get it repaired if something broke. Well, my greatest fear was realized recently when one of the ejector hammers broke. I took it to a very competent double gunsmith who said he could make a replacement part. After some time he confessed that the part was just too complex to fabricate. He was attending a double gun class at Colorado gunsmith school and was advised there that someone in Mass. had written the CNC code to produce this part. We are in the process of following that lead.

So, the question is, do any of you have any recommendations for getting my pet gun back to original. Yea, I could turn it into a extractor only gun but would really like to bring it back to original condition. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Try Brad Bachelder
1229 Michigan St NE
Grand Rapids, MI, 49503
616-459-3636

Many people besides myself have used him.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,353 Times in 12,409 Posts

I'll check with Mario in Salem, MA. He told me he was contemplating making some.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,353 Times in 12,409 Posts

Just spoke with Mario... he said "If I thought there was a good market for them I would have done it, but I decided not to do it."

He did however, make a bunch of replacable wear plates for the locking lug.

I wonder if Larry Frey ever took on such a project??

It would be quite expensive as the ejector hammer is a very complex piece to make properly.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

You might check with Eyster at Heritage Gunsmiths in Ohio. They did all the work for Jaqua's when they were closing them out.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,635 Times in 992 Posts

I had the right ejector hammer break in one of my Repros. I sent the gun to four different gunsmiths to try to get it fixed, two of which were nationally known as being the "best" when it comes to Parker ejectors. None of them could fix the ejector---that is, until I sent it to Jack Haugh in Milan, IN. Jack's son Frank tig-welded it back together and re-hardened it. The ejector has functioned properly ever since. To my way of thinking, the Haugh's are the gunsmiths gunsmith. Google up "Jack Haugh" to get a little taste of his credentials.

Jack Haugh & Sons
4421 N. Old Milan Rd.
Milan, IN 47031
812/654-3209
Unread 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jack is a friend of mine and about 30 minutes from my house. He was the best of the best as far as I'm concerned and knows how to make any part of any gun. He has had some health issues the last couple of years, but is back doing limited work now. He knows more about guns and how to fix them than anyone I've come across.
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,204 Times in 3,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
I had the right ejector hammer break in one of my Repros. I sent the gun to four different gunsmiths to try to get it fixed, two of which were nationally known as being the "best" when it comes to Parker ejectors. None of them could fix the ejector---that is, until I sent it to Jack Haugh in Milan, IN. Jack's son Frank tig-welded it back together and re-hardened it. The ejector has functioned properly ever since. To my way of thinking, the Haugh's are the gunsmiths gunsmith. Google up "Jack Haugh" to get a little taste of his credentials.

Jack Haugh & Sons
4421 N. Old Milan Rd.
Milan, IN 47031
812/654-3209
did not know he worked on those new fangled guns as well

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.c...ack-haugh.html
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

He doesn't like to, has his son do most of them. He did work on a single trigger repro for me that doubled a couple of times, but he didn't like doing it.
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
Setter Man
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

I will also join in the praises of Jack Haugh. Shortly after I acquired my 28 ga repro I discovered a problem with the safety so I took the gun to Jack. Jack found the problem was the result of a part that was somehow missing. No problem, he made the replace ment and the gun was good as new. Ask anyone who has ever seen one of Jack's flintlocks and they will tell you that there is nothing related that Jack can't make and that includes parts for just about anything. Also, I believe his rate is around $35/hour.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote