Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-14-2023, 10:59 AM   #11
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Some years ago, I planned a "Claiming Shoot" at our gun club. For those unfamiliar with the concept, a decent purse would be awarded to the high scorer, only if he puts his gun up for a $500 "claim". If the high scorer is not willing to sell his gun for $500, the purse goes to the next highest score, and so on. It eliminates the shooters who use a high end competition gun to win a shoot. The lower the "claim", the more interesting the shoot.
When are you going to start ''Selling'' all your Parker's for $500 apiece?

Harry
Harry Gietler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #12
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Reading and learning about doubles years ago, an old collector said he loved old doubles "because they harbor old mens soles", as time goes by I cant pick up a worn parker without thinking of the times and places it may have been. Now each one I own has at least a story, some known, some imagined. Like a little VH 16 found in a fishing store in Cheasapeake, I know an old duck hunter hunted on the bay with it and it remains in well cared for condition but being a 16, kind of an interesting duck gun for its time. Another 28 ga DHE from the same area had barrels in terrible condition, used hard and put up uncleaned over and over but one I wish I had bought. The $12k asking was a lot at the time but I wish I could have bought it, even if I had to sleeve the barrels. I still wonder who got it.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #13
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

On active duty, called back after 9/11 and two sons in college took priority but looking back and maybe today for some, borrowing to buy a special piece should or could have been a choice and would have been well worth it.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #14
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,424 Times in 604 Posts

in the early 70's i was cash poor but wanted a Parker in the worst way. Local auction house brochure had 6 VH 12's for sale. First went for 1200 and the last was painted with duck boat paint and probably used sea duck hunting in the salt. No bid's so i offered 100 and it was taken. Paint stripper and a stock refinish, checkering recut and i had my Parker. It has taken ducks, geese, crows, grouse ,woodcock and a fox. Great long range target gun and my go to gun to this day. It has marks on the barrels that I imagine are from leaning against a steel sink box and nothing will change my mind. I imagine it in the hands of a market hunter.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 05:10 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,330 Times in 12,399 Posts

When I first hunted with a Parker in 1961 it was a borrowed and well used but not used up 12 gauge Trojan with 28" barrels that had been used for ducks in the Saco, Maine area and pheasants. I learned a lot from that old war horse Trojan and it will soon be coming back to me. But a couple of years ago I bought a 20 gauge Trojan (battle worn) war horse with a painted stock and a lot of "patina" on the metal. I cleaned it up andit fits me very well and looks like a well used and well cared for Parker farm gun... and I Love it!
I can't really think of any other Parkers in my collection that fit in the 'war horse' category but more may come as time goes on.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-15-2023, 06:18 PM   #16
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

1919 GHE 20/32"
Checkering worn near smooth. Original pad with lifetime of milage. Scars up and down from the pad to the bead. Gun is perfect as is.
Scratched a bunch of ducks and geese this past weekend and will hunt her on our home opener Saturday. I love this gun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231006_091832.jpg (541.2 KB, 13 views)

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2023, 08:12 PM   #17
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,038 Times in 2,715 Posts

Honest wear in a gun is classy. As many have posted they too resemble their guns with honest wear. If I can get new hips and knees, I think I can allow a shooter a new recoil pad or a fresh stock finish once in a while too! 🤣😂 I just don’t know if the causes for arthritis are considered honest wear or just abuse?
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 10-16-2023, 02:32 PM   #18
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,257 Posts

yes
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2023, 07:16 PM   #19
Francis Marshall
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here is a story about an old workhorse Parker.

https://youtu.be/3bTUtpTlfKw?si=lUMsdrH_8Lge9GXb
Francis Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2023, 06:50 PM   #20
Joe Kallo
PGCA Member

Member Info

My first Parker, a 12ga VH, is such a war horse. I wish it could talk. It has the stock from a much earlier Parker, almost no checkering left, the obvious signs of where the original owner(s) rested their hands when carrying it etc. It's also the quintessential grouse gun, with C/M chokes, a light barrel set, and 26" original barrels. It doesn't look abused- it looks like what a tool that's used for 100 years should look like.

This past week, I was honored to hunt with it on my first grouse hunt (ever) in the northern LP of MI. I didn't manage to hit any of the 6 grouse my dog and I raised, but I did shoot my first woodcock with it.

Today I scouted some fields closer to home checking if any of the fly bird woodcocks have moved into my area. Pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4002 Copy.jpg (500.8 KB, 3 views)
Joe Kallo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Kallo For Your Post: