Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

Unread 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,344 Times in 4,421 Posts

Julia ordered me some of this stuff for my birthday. Now to wait an eternity for duck season to see how it works.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Not too long up here really, opens in Canada on the 3rd weekend in September.

Just talked to my farmer friend, the sunflowers are looking good for a September 1st dove opener down at home. Corn in the wetland is looking good as well, and plenty of water in the big pond.

He's trying some shorter corn in the duck hole this year. The stuff he's been planting is so tall it's hard for them to get to unless the water is high. He had a near flood on the place last year and it raised the water up to the tops of the stalks. We murdered them for two days till the water fell again, once it passed mid stalk there wasn't a duck on the place. We were taking our life in our own hands hunting during that flood. The water was coming in off a big creek and it was ripping through the wetland like a hurricane tide. We had to hunt out of an old boat blind and even getting it on the water was a challenge.

There was a shot on one of those hunts I'll never forget. We'd had a mallard drake cut a little wide and try to settle out past the end of the decoys around 50 yards. Didn't see any point in letting him sit down then swim off into the corn tops and pull every duck that came by so I stood up and threw a shot his way. Got lucky and knocked him down dead. I remember just as I shot seeing a flash of wing out past the duck but didn't pay much attention. We ran the boat out to get him and just as I was leaning over to pick him up my buddy said "What's that?". I stood up and looked, about 20 yards further on there was a dead grey duck laying in the water. We motored over and picked it up, fresh dead not even stiff yet with one shot hole right through the neck. I'd killed that duck too, though I never really even saw it. The old bird just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time I guess.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Late November for us, unless you want to brave the snakes, gators and mosquitoes for early teal season.

Dove season is the next good thing that happens around here, hunting wise.
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

That sounds like a cool hunt. One of the highlights last season was hitting 3 speckle bellies right at the end of a hunt in Arkansas. We had six guns and six limits and the speckle bellies were what filled it out. That was cool.
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

You always remember stuff like that, very cool.

I've only ever killed three specks in my whole life, and those were all on a two day hunt in Mississippi.

Also killed my first Ross Geese on that same hunt, definitely one to remember.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Got two boxes of Rio Bismuth for my birthday, so we will see how it works.
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

hunting seasoin needs to hurry and get here for you boys...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Our upstairs AC got struck by lightning and my wife took the only comfortable sofa downstairs. A heat wave just blew in too. I am ready for fall and hunting season in more ways than one