Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

"Assuming it was a 12 Gauge V Grade I was surprised when he told me it had "birds" engraved on it. A few pics later I was able to surmise it had been blued at some point and I believe the stock (English) has been replaced. It has a single selective trigger. "

The OP told us of his assumptions, both prior to/and after seeing (pics) of the gun. It is impossible to tell the original grade of the gun from the info provided, it is possible to surmise, that if the gun was indeed a V grade, that it has been significantly customized...which seems unlikely, for if it were a V grade, it is unlikely that the original fluid barrels should need replacing, or that a single trigger was installed, or that it would have any "birds" engraved on it...I would love the contact information of the seller!
Unread 01-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,403 Times in 3,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Edgar, If you want the Incorrectly finished and restocked V grade 12g with aftermarket barrels for more than that, I am sure the OP may give you the owners number so that you can buy it from him.

True I did not see photos of the gun or know more than the OP described, but what he described is all I needed to know to make my assessment of the situation based on the information provided to me. As we all know, opinions on value ARE subjective and can vary. But... take into consideration that today there are a LOT of unmolested and all original VH grade, shooter quality, guns that are not selling for more than $1,000. So...

Again... MY opinion. so it does not matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.
Well, as we all know, opinions are like (*), everyone has one, and your post is as close to total BS as any I've seen. Where do you come to the conclusion that the gun is a V Grade? My post was certainly prior to the OP stating he thought it was a G grade.
What the OP described in his initial post said nothing of grade, except "bird" and SST. You make your assumptions based on as little info as that and it tells me your assumptions have little, if any value.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,421 Times in 4,595 Posts

Edgar,

I will admit that this whole mess was a perfect example of my jumping to conclusions which I can do at times.

I will amend my comments simply to...

The fact that the bluing of the whole gun, restocking of the gun and replacement of the original barrels will have a significant impact on the value of the gun vs if it was original and unaltered.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
78CJ
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wow, didn't mean to stir up a storm here, I was simply questioning whether or not the aftermarket barrels made a difference on something besides a V grade gun. I guess I thought by mentioning the "birds" it would be understood that it was not simply a V Grade gun. I guess I posed the question wrong.
Ryan Brege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
The fact that the bluing of the whole gun, restocking of the gun and replacement of the original barrels will have a significant impact on the value of the gun vs if it was original and unaltered.
Undoubtedly.
This is similar in nature to the recent thread about the gun altered by Col. Askins.
I have a 20ga. DHE that belonged to Otis Odom, and was altered by him. The butt stock was originally a PG stock, which he altered to straight. He straightened out the trigger guard, and did a beautiful job of inletting and checkering around the trigger guard tang. I think it's done to the highest quality of the many I have seen similarly modified, but recognize it's value is diminished greatly (fortunately, the guy who sold it to me felt the same way)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #16
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,421 Times in 4,595 Posts

And then that brings up the eternal debate of weather provenance outweighs condition. Depends on which side of the deal you are on.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 01-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #17
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,247 Times in 1,227 Posts

From a pure $$$ (investment) standpoint, condition will always (with rare exceptions) outweigh provenance. From a collectible viewpoint, it depends on what you are collecting. Original condition may not be a priority for you and play only a small part of what you would be willing to pay for a particular "well owned" gun. I think you have to view it from the stand point of: Are you investing? Are you collecting? or Perhaps you are doing both?

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #18
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,353 Posts

Quote:
This is similar in nature to the recent thread about the gun altered by Col. Askins.
The Parker Bros. DHE 10-gauge was not altered by Major Askins. Major Askins was editor of the Shotguns portion of the Arms & Ammunition section of Outdoor Life until mid-1941. That particular article was actually by J.A. MacKenzie of Toronto, Canada.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #19
78CJ
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ryan Brege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #20
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info