Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
...the plow wasn't risked and quail would make a living.
Brett,

I love this phrase. It must be a Southern euphemism, as I learned it from my Father who, when looking at poor quail cover, would say, "A bird would have to pack his lunch and pull a trailer to make a living in that cover!"

And, for what it's worth, there's nothing like the mental tongue-lashing we give ourselves when we do bone-headed things like closing one eye while shooting. When I told my wife, who was witness to all of this, that I was closing my eye, she asked, "Are you sure you're not closing both of them?"

(The farm I mentioned was actually in Missouri, and directly on the border. I could literally flush a bird in Missouri and shoot it in Iowa as the fence row where we found birds was the Missouri State line. I know it was the Missouri State line and not the Iowa State line because only Missouri would have a broken down barbed wire fence to mark anything. That's a joke you'd only get after living in the Show Me State.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

IMHO, a lot of it is adjusting the nut behind the trigger. Years ago, I was asked to come and shoot a Springer Field Trial. For whatever reason, that day I couldn't hit a barn if i was standing inside it. Once I began to miss, I locked up, and started aiming, instead of flowing the gun. It was so bad that I actually asked anyone in the gallery if they would take my place. The pressure is bad because folks have driven long distances to compete, and if you miss, you may jeopardize the dog's chances. However, fortunately there are days when the pheasants look as big and slow as beach balls. Then it's fun!
Unread 12-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

I think we can all relate to this scenario, I certainly can. Can't recall who but someone once said "I have never ever been in a shooting slump but I have missed targets for extended periods of time". Now that's a good attitude.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2018, 02:03 AM   #14
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,347 Times in 673 Posts

Garry: Thanks for the story about frustration, readjustment and redemption; and for the nice photos. It's inspiring.

I have never been a good shot on either clay targets or birds, but that alchemy of which you speak has kicked in on enough occasions to keep me going.

If you tend to know what your eyes are doing, you have greater situational awareness than I have. It is hard enough for me to know what I am doing with my eyes at the moment I pull the trigger on a skeet field, but when it involves a live game bird taking to wing, forget it! -- I am too enthralled to have any idea.

Edmund W. Davis, in his WOODCOCK SHOOTING, a private printing of 1908, and upland classic of today, on page 63 describes this phenomenon well:

“I have often been asked whether I shoot with both eyes open. While I incline to believe that one of my eyes is fast closed, I would be unwilling to confirm that assertion; for at the instant of firing I am bewildered with a mysterious delight and doubt if I am capable of diverting my thoughts sufficiently to tell what my eyes are doing”.
Unread 12-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen….A trip to the steel patterning plate will answer most questions about our shooting issues. Test shots will tell you ware the shot is going. If you do not know the proper testing methods get some help, this part is most important. The next step is to adjust your gun mount if possible and if that is too extreme then off to the stock men for a permanent fix. Remember the gun always shoots ware its barrels are pointed and the key is they are pointed correctly at gun mount. This is a fluid subconscious natural repetition that must be the same every time, if after the gun is mounted that mount needs any adjustment then you just missed! So if you have a good gun mount and the shot is going ware your gun is pointing your brain will do the rest and get the swarm onto the moving targets....your targets will be dust. thanks all SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Paterning steel plate
Unread 12-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #16
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default Paterning steel plate

Some pictures to get the idea, some patterns I shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020536.JPG (99.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1020639.JPG (83.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1020640.JPG (82.6 KB, 1 views)
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny Graft For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
Garry: Thanks for the story about frustration, readjustment and redemption; and for the nice photos. It's inspiring.

I have never been a good shot on either clay targets or birds, but that alchemy of which you speak has kicked in on enough occasions to keep me going.

If you tend to know what your eyes are doing, you have greater situational awareness than I have. It is hard enough for me to know what I am doing with my eyes at the moment I pull the trigger on a skeet field, but when it involves a live game bird taking to wing, forget it! -- I am too enthralled to have any idea.

Edmund W. Davis, in his WOODCOCK SHOOTING, a private printing of 1908, and upland classic of today, on page 63 describes this phenomenon well:

“I have often been asked whether I shoot with both eyes open. While I incline to believe that one of my eyes is fast closed, I would be unwilling to confirm that assertion; for at the instant of firing I am bewildered with a mysterious delight and doubt if I am capable of diverting my thoughts sufficiently to tell what my eyes are doing”.
Russell, Thanks for the reminder of Davis (I have his book, but alas, only in the reprinted form). I think it's interesting to read what others have said about their shooting, both the similarities and differences. We each come to this process in our own ways. Sure, we can learn about the "science" of it all, but in the end, it's still the individual that experiences that split second unconscious action that is the shot. Thinking too much about it has seldom been the "cure" for me. So, when I am aware of what my eyes are doing, as you suggest, I generally miss.

I'm going to dig my Davis out tonight after we look up a covey or two today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Graft View Post
Some pictures to get the idea, some patterns I shot.
Thanks for the pictures, Kenny, and the reminder of some of what's involved in shooting. That's a nice set-up you have. I've used the 16 yard method a time or two to check where the patterns were going and my gun fit...and if the barrels were regulated correctly.

However, since I started collecting guns and shooting them, I just check to see where each is shooting and then try to adjust myself. It's not a recipe for good shooting, but I can't bring myself to bend the stocks on my old guns (although I've done it a time or two with fair results). I've shot enough that I can generally tell when I mount a new-to-me gun where it will shoot, and I admit I will still buy a gun that doesn't fit and make do. Shooting too many guns is not the way to be a good shot...but I'd rather shoot too many guns! My dogs don't mind when I miss, and Elaine rather enjoys it when my shooting is poor. She says it "takes me down a notch" when I miss. Some days I don't have any more notches to go down to! It does make me grumpy when I miss, though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #19
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

SXS Ohio
Very nice snow seal! I still have paint on my glasses from the last patterning board I painted while you held my shotgun.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wild birds turn me on.
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerald McPherson For Your Post: