Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

New Member from Pennsylvania
Unread 09-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default New Member from Pennsylvania

Well, I took the plunge...and signed up for this forum.

It took me a long time, because I really dislike the lack of anonymity on this forum, as anyone can find me--and I would rather have an 'anonymous' handle. Can anything be done about that? I should say I am not even on Facebook because of that. I prefer that...

In any event, I have mostly collected early cartridge and percussion revolvers, mostly because of the ease of storage, as compared to a longarm, and pre-1899 firearms are not as such, but rather antique.

I do have a VH Grade 12 ga Parker dating from 1904 I obtained, with condition, some time ago, maybe 25 or 30 years ago.

It does seem to me the double barrel market has softened over time, and Parkers are, by no means immune. Having said that, without seeming arrogant, I would think maybe now might be the time to consider the purchase of a 28 ga Parker, just because I would like to own one. Of course, condition is important, the more condition, the more desirable, but the more costly... What might be a current market condition to be aware of for these based on condition? Of course, smaller frame sizes are more desirable, and I would think I would be most likely looking at a VH Grade, as these are more common and more affordable.

Anything else to consider? Where do you see these double guns going over the next several years? I don't see a resurgence, and maybe prices will continue to slide. I have no problems with national auction houses...I'm just not a retail kind of guy. Any other places to look? Of course, I wish to avoid anything refinished. If I were to buy something refinished, I would want to think about selling it in short order.

In closing, here's a character actor, was often in Little House on the Prairie, who had a fondness for a 28 ga Parker: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_Taylor
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,042 Posts

Welcome. You should consider becoming a member. Lots of nice guns sold among the membership via the members only forum, and you can learn a heck of a lot about the nuances of collecting and how each of us is a bit different in what and how we collect. An open mind will serve you well. Enjoy and have fun.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
How to join
Unread 09-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default How to join

How do I join? I would like to.

I have wanted to be on this forum if not for 10 years, at least 5+. For those of us not lucky enough to be named John Smith, it's not as anonymous.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

Go to the PGCA home page and follow the membership link. No one is anonymous on this forum but you can use a different screen name. Does a good job of keeping everyone civil. PM me where are you in Pa.?
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post: