Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 01-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #21
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Polywad says the disk with Holes are for open choked guns Solids are for full choke guns. I am not much of a tester, after a brief run with X Spreaders bought Polywad solids in 3 gauges . Never tried the disk with holes.

I am getting low on 12 G solid Polywad disk, using them in 10 & 12, don't have to order any time soon but. If you don't like them let me know I would buy them off you. And no doubt many others would too.

Should add I only pattern the Spreader loads at 20 yards, since that's the intended distance. On Clays courses if seeing a natural chance to check, Shooting into a pond or the like, I will pop one off just to watch.

Other day we were shooting the Club practice field. 20 traps arranged around at random, throw down a Hula Hoop for a station. O/U shooter friend of mine wanted to see how my Parker was choked. Shot a empty clay target box at about 15 yards with the left full barrel, pattern about 12 inches. Did not shoot it with the Polywad shell that I had been using on targets at 15 yards. No sense in letting him in on the secrets of SxS guns

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Dan, The inserts with the holes allow shot to leak through filling up the center of the pattern.
Stosh, that may be true, but I think they also allow the insert to stay in the shot stream longer. Less resistant to forward movement. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #23
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Ya Terry I think you are the holes allow shot to slip through the same as those that like to put 1/8 oz. shot on top of the spreader insert.
Unread 01-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #24
Michael alexander
Forum Associate

Member Info

That has to be the tightest patterning gun I have ever seen. Many years ago I had a s/b/s with 1/2 and full chokes. I entered the club skeet competition and won the cup .i used fiber wads with cardboard x made with 2 3/4 inch square cards cut 1/2 way and slotted together make the case as short as possible and finish with a roll turnover use soft shot.At that time there were no spreader wads this side of the pond . A bit of a pain but needs must.
Michael alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #25
Landy67
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael alexander View Post
That has to be the tightest patterning gun I have ever seen.
I was amazed how tight the chokes are. I measured the muzzles and got .695 on the right, and the left is .691. According to the internet (The repository of all human knowledge) That makes the chokes Full, and "Do not use on anything you intend to eat!"

It's amazing how this thing breaks all the nice china at the trap range. If you can see the clay on the patterning paper, I have 54 pellets in the one I shot with the right barrel, and 57 in the one with the left. The targets just disappear.

I'm a big time tinkerer, and I bought lots of components. I will post my findings once I start messing around. I'll try all of the combo's I can think of. I bought some of the X's, the polywads with and without holes, over shot wads, and the Ballistic Products "Brush Wads"

The gun club where I shoot 5 stand has a patterning board made of a 4X4 sheet of steel. You paint it first, shoot and take a photo of the splatters. It's a pretty good system I'll record all of my results and share.

If anyone has any special requests, just let me know. I should have all of the components by the end of this week, and I should be able to start testing next weekend!
Unread 01-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #26
Landy67
Forum Associate

Member Info

I loaded up a couple of boxes with the Poly Wads, and two more with the X spreaders. Shooting Skeet, I got a 20 with the Poly Wad, and a 16 with the X spreader. I need to hit the pattern board, but I only had an hour to shoot today, and I decided to just shoot. It looks like I'm going to be able to use this gun for all of the games I play!

So now the question is, how important is the stem in the Poly Wad? I saw a vintage ad for a commercial spreader load that had 3 over shot cards. Does the stem do much for the pattern? I may have to test that when I get to the pattern board.
Unread 01-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #27
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dan, One of the most important aspects of the Poly-Wad spreader insert is that it is inserted squarely. The post helps to achieve that. Another thing I have found is to not overspeed the load. You need to give the spreader time to work.
Unread 01-30-2016, 09:22 PM   #28
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's it, the stem helps keeping the disk square to the hulls mouth. In pratice with my PW 375 loader, at the wad station. Throw the powder charge. Insert the wad, drop the shot. Same station put the Polywad disk in the wad fingers. Use the press to set the disk. Then move on to crimp. It adds one press stroke.

Most of the time on the Skeet field with real Skeet shooters I use the spreaders 2nd of the pairs and station 8. 6 per round. No doubt I would break more using spreaders all stations. Even more if high gun. But using Skeet to pratice for clays shooting most stations with tight chokes low gun is good pratice.

William
Unread 01-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #29
Landy67
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm loading 15gr of Extra Lite and 1 oz of shot. For the spreader loads I'm using the BP Brush wad. It's a plastic wad without the shot cup. The recepie says it's pushing the shot at 1045 F/S.

So far I'm pleased.
Unread 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

My regular 12 G SxS Clays load AA Hull 7/8 oz 7 1/2 Claybuster CB 178-12 Wad 16.4 Red Dot

12 G Spreader SxS load RGL Hull 7/8 oz 7 1/2 Claybuster CB 1100-12 Wad 15.7 Red Dot.

Lot of discussion on spreaders increasing pressure, over regular loads. I am pretty sure they do given you are adding something to the shot column, some internet posters think so too. I drop one powder bushing from my regular load when using the spreader insert.

If I was loading them just for skeet would probably go to 1oz # 8 or 9 Sporting clays almost always use Spreaders on Rabbits and like the 7 1/2 shot.

William
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post: