Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Load recipe to open shot pattern
Unread 01-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Landy67
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Load recipe to open shot pattern

Hi all,

Sorry if this topic has been covered to death. I tried to search, but didn't find anything relevant.

I just bought a Parker at a gun show. My hopes were to be able to use the gun for 5 stand, but when I pattered the gun with my regular loads (1oz, 14.5gr Xtra light, and Rem TGT12 wads) it seems to be X-full.X-full. At 40 yards 100% of the shot was well inside a 30" circle. I'm doing real good at trap, but it's way too tight for any other game I play. I would never consider modifying a gun this age, but I really want something I can use for 5 stand.

My guess is this gun would shoot completely different if I was using a load that didn't have a modern wad. Has anyone done any work checking the differences between modern ammo, and reloads using fiber wads, overshot wads, spreader loads, roll crimp, etc?

The Parker is a 1910 Vulcan barreled VH with 30" barrels. I would love to have a load I could use that would open up the pattern enough that I could use for 5 stand or sporting clays. I just ordered the load data book from Ballistic products, along with some of the X spreader inserts, and overshot wads.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm hoping that someone has already done the work, and I can just follow in their footsteps.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Dan Hatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,237 Times in 12,377 Posts

Your 'new' 1910 VH with 30" barrels choked X-full/X-full is now your new trap gun.

You will need to buy another Parker for 5-stand and SC and yet another Parker for skeet.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Parkers.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Dan;
Dean is right, you need another Parker. But at least try and shoot your F/F VH at 5 stand and SC and not worry about the chokes. You might be surprised how well those chokes break targets.

But... Then again there is grouse hunting, quail shooting, etc. You need another gun for sure. (A Parker of course).
Unread 01-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

Dan; you can experiment with Polywad spreaders and any of the others on the market,it will be an interesting learning experience. you will learn a lot about your gun and shells. My son made a device like a ringer washing machine and it slightly de-forms the shot opening the pattern by one degree of choke,full to mod. great for woodcock and grouse.Did this long before these others came out.If you do not recognize ringer washer your under 65.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 01-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Landy67
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know the ringer washers well. After highschool I worked on commercial fishing boats, and used to work for fish markets for extra cache. One place processed lobster, and we used an old hand crank ringer to get the meat out of the little parts.

That's pretty clever deforming the shot to make it spread faster.
Unread 01-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I have a 30" VH choked full and fuller. Not a grouse gun for sure but I shoot it at 5-stand on occasion. It is absolutely a blast to watch targets vaporize. It amazes people when I let outgoers get way out there and then turn them to dust, and that is with 7/8 oz loads. Shoot it, you'll have fun.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hatton View Post
Hi all,

Sorry if this topic has been covered to death. I tried to search, but didn't find anything relevant.

I just bought a Parker at a gun show. My hopes were to be able to use the gun for 5 stand, but when I pattered the gun with my regular loads (1oz, 14.5gr Xtra light, and Rem TGT12 wads) it seems to be X-full.X-full. At 40 yards 100% of the shot was well inside a 30" circle. I'm doing real good at trap, but it's way too tight for any other game I play. I would never consider modifying a gun this age, but I really want something I can use for 5 stand.

My guess is this gun would shoot completely different if I was using a load that didn't have a modern wad. Has anyone done any work checking the differences between modern ammo, and reloads using fiber wads, overshot wads, spreader loads, roll crimp, etc?

The Parker is a 1910 Vulcan barreled VH with 30" barrels. I would love to have a load I could use that would open up the pattern enough that I could use for 5 stand or sporting clays. I just ordered the load data book from Ballistic products, along with some of the X spreader inserts, and overshot wads.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm hoping that someone has already done the work, and I can just follow in their footsteps.

Thanks in advance

Dan
I have been very happy with the effectiveness of the X-Stream spreader inserts sold by Ballistic Products. Here are two patterns of the same load through the same gun, 1 1/8 ounce of #6 through a Remington 1894 10ga. It went from throwing 92+ % to 58+ plus %.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/X-S...tinfo/3220001/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (506.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Rem189410gapatternwithx-streaminserts.jpg (489.5 KB, 2 views)
Unread 01-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Polywad spreader inserts on top of the shot. Use one size larger wad. 7/8 oz shot 1 oz wad. Everything else about your load same. I trust the polywads to 20 yards.

Our club 5 stand 3 of the 8 traps best shot with spreader loads when using my 30" Full & Fuller VH. Two of the traps best shot with Full chokes. Others if you are on the target it breaks, off it won't, Like Gary I try to take the bird were the choke is to my advantage.

Stacked wad loads no shot cup will open patterns up, not as much as the Polywad.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
Landy67
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Polywad spreader inserts on top of the shot. Use one size larger wad. 7/8 oz shot 1 oz wad. Everything else about your load same. I trust the polywads to 20 yards.
Spreader on top of the shot? BP recommends putting them in before you load the shot to leave a bit of shot unmolested by the spreader.

Do you use the overshot wad as well?
Unread 01-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dan, Yes the Poly-wad spreader goes in after you drop the shot. Bill is correct. You reduce the shot charge by 1/8 oz. In 12 gauge Poly-wad sells to different inserts..a solid disc and a disc with 3 holes in the circumference. Use the inserts with the holes...