Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 10-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
This is for the 8 gauge shooters out there. I have a reloader now (retrofitted MEC), but was wondering how you get the lip off the new Winchester hulls?

Thanks for replies and help in advance!
Would you be kind and take some pics of the new loader ?

And if the maker doesn't mind give the name , addy or website please ?
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #12
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

If one pass with the 8 G die is too hard even with Imperial wax C-H 4D will make up a set of dies to swage gradually like BFT said. When I form 25 Krag from 30 Krag make 3 passes. You can do it in 2 but it's a lot harder on the press and the brass.

C-H set me up with the 25 Krag dies off the shelf . Amazing what he comes up with.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ouellette View Post
The extra thick "band" on industrial hulls must be swaged (compressed) to the normal size of a sporting 8 gauge brass part of the hull. The band is there so that one doesn't try to shoot a high pressure industrial round through an old sporting gun.

For this I will recommend two options. There are however a bunch of homemade solutions that others use.

The first recommended option is a set of C-H 8 gauge forming dies. The photo is of their normal 2-die set which swages down the industrial band to fit into English chambers. The trouble is that Parkers have a smaller diameter chamber! I special ordered from C-H a third, smaller die to fit my Parkers. The rod is to ram the sized hull out of the dies!

I use my 40+ year old RCBS Rock Chucker press for this. The 8 gauge dies are 1" so the 1" to 7/8" reducing flange must be removed from the press.

Hey Bill,

Okay, with a photo and the words above I didn't mention that the three dies in the photo are progressively smaller. Okay, my bust... I guess I will have to add directions next time

You of course may do what you like. Me, I have been there and done that. Let us know what you end up doing.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CH 8 Ga.jpg (103.7 KB, 100 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I got it from Tom Armbrust. Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150829_182415.jpg (438.5 KB, 5 views)
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

mills i would think also that your new 8 ga press can not resize the 8 ga hull with out damage to it...i m sure once they are resized it will do fine on it...the resizer that mr arbrust uses is a one step resizer. wayne that lives in georgia close to you has really simple drawings of his resizer ..i had one built and it works fine..i use a press of some sort and with one easy pull the hull is resized..then i use a home made drift to punch out the resized hull but you can reverse the procedure and use the press to remove the hull...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanks Charlie and thanks everyone. Yes, I don't think the MEC will handle the initial resizing.
Unread 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #17
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mec's are nice loaders but heavy sizing they can fall short. Mec even recommends sizing with a Mec Super sizer as a separate step.

I had trouble chambering some Cheddite 10 G Hulls in my Ithaca Super 10 the other day. Looking carefully the cases rim was bent just a bit off square from the brass. The Mec 600 JR uses a very small size ring that’s not machined very smooth. When it gets dirty you have to pull hard on the handle to size and grab the case and twist it off the punch. Plus nothing to hold the hull square with the size ring when sizing - de-priming. Cheddite hulls have very thin brass. No doubt all the pulling and pushing out of alignment bent the rims. Never saw that problem with Federal Hulls which use better brass.

Now I size 10's with a Full Length 10 G Ponsness Warren Die in my PW 375. Prime then punch the Sized/Primed case out of the die with a Delrin rod dropped in the case, pushed with the PW's knock out rod. Then back to the Mec for powder wad shot and crimp. Cured the problem. The PW won't crimp short 10 cases the Mec won’t size short 10 cases It's a 2 press job.

Seems to me if you can get the 8's sized properly off the Mec it will do just fine priming charging and crimping.

Charlie I use a "drift" too but it's made of Delrin (plastic) rod turned to fit, and the inside the hull part I have relieved just a bit with a center drill to avoid pressing on the primer when punching out of the die. If anybody needs one I can make them easy.

William Davis
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #18
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

I also have two more dies that are more heavy duty than the MEC. They are just dies though.
Unread 10-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #19
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mills before you get to carried away try the imperial sizing wax and you will find them much easier to resize. If that dosn't work you can find drawings of the die I had made to do the job. It is simple and should be no trouble to get someone with a lathe to make. Should be pretty cheap to make I think I payed $ 25.00 for mine.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #20
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanks Wayne!