Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Rotometals
Unread 01-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default Rotometals

Anyone every buy shot from Rotometals? They'll sell you a 3000# supersack of reclaimed shot for $1.05/#. They also have new shot and reclaimed shot in 25# bags. New shot prices aren't any great deal, but they seem to have quite an inventory and of any shot size you could want. I've found the reclaimed shot to be problematic if it sits in the bags for too long and oxidizes. Someone left Alaska and I inherited a bunch of bags of shot. I opened one to see what it was and it was reclaimed #9 and lead oxide powder wafted out of the bag in a cloud when I moved it. Scary. I ended up quickly closing it up and putting the entire bag into a bucket of water for a while then pouring out of the bag into the water and agitating it with a stick to knock the oxide loose. I shook and stirred it until the lead looked as oxide free as I was going to get it then poured it onto a towel lined baking sheet... outside in a good cross wind... and washed the bejeezus out of the bucket and the nice old fabric shot bag, which was eventually made into a sand bag for shooting, and left it to dry for days. I wore disposable rubber gloves and a dust mask for all of this. Once dry, I scooped the shot, which looked good at this point, back into a clean mylar bag and threw the towel away in a plastic bag. I then used the shot up in two reloading sessions for 12ga target loads. So, beware of old reclaimed shot. Some of my friends comment, when I tell them this story, "Really, that explains a lot about your behavior; have you had your hair tested for lead???".... Not sure what they're talking about....

On another note, someone just gave me an ~10# cast ingot of pure antimony from an historic Alaska Au-Cu-Ag-Pb-Sb-As mine. I could use it for alloying for casting bullets but I'll likely give it to our local mining museum.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Wow Richard - aren't you being a bit overly cautious...? As soon as I could stand up in my crib I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails and then I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails and then I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails and I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails.........

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

I recently bought reclaimed shot from the Detroit Gun Club which was washed and re-coated for $22
Unread 01-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Wow Richard - aren't you being a bit overly cautious...? As soon as I could stand up in my crib I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails and then I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails and then I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails and I would chew the sweet lead based paint off my crib balisters and rails.........
I knew there was a logical explanation.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 01-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Not too long ago I read an article about the new Rio plant in Texas. When fully in production Rio will be the largest shotshell manufacturer in the world. The article stated that they expect to produce excess components that will be marketed to the reloader. A few days ago I saw an ad for Rio magnum shot. This is the first time I have seen some evidence that what the article stated is becoming reality. Since they supposedly manufacture all of their components in house maybe we'll see some powder come to market as well. It never hurts to have alternatives.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Rio shotshells are the cleanest burning I have ever used. You can shoot 3-4 boxes of hvy field loads and don't even see a need to swab the barrel. Same with their low base target loads. Rio shells used to be the cheapest available at S. Warehouse but now others have come down a bit and Rio's are up a bit so they're about the same. The high base hulls reload very well using a wad from BPI that lets you duplicate the 3-3/4dram 1-1/4oz load. They take the European primer but they seem readily available these days and are cheaper than Winchesters. I hope they make shot available for a reasonable price.

I got ahold of the Rorometals folks and may be sending and selling them at least 200# of Sn-based babbit bars that I have here "in stock" and holding the outhouse down in case of a tornado. The payback will likely be the best payoff yet from all my decades of junk collecting around Alaska.

$22? I'd be buying it also John. Nice that they wash and recoat it. That lead oxide dust is nasty stuff if you breathe it.
Unread 01-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have been buying the reclaimed shot from Rotometals for the last three years. The reclaimed shot in the 3000# super sack is as it comes from the reclaimed machine. It is not washed or graphited. It contains alot of dirt and fine stones and they do not recommend it for reloading. I always order the 25# bags washed and graphited and have no complaints.
Tom
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Recently started buying shot from Roto after my gun club bulk buy outlet dried up, 2 bags new magnum shot in a Priority mail box for 89.99 shipped . Any size you want and delivery to door is just a few days. Have bought alloyed ingots from them for Single shot rifles for years.

Yesterday in our local big gun shop looking for shot. They had been out of shot for weeks, plenty of 7 ½ 8 & 9 on the shelf at 46.95 25 lbs, plus sales tax. I can always use 7 1/2 but need a bag of 6, no luck. Skipped it added the 6 & 7 ½ to make up Roto’s order minimum.

Roto may be the best deal around all considered.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm going to be sending Roto at least 200# of Sn-based babbitt bars in med flat rate boxes for my first shipment to them. They seem very happy to buy stuff like that. I also have a lot of Pb-based babbit material and even an ingot of antimony that someone gave me last Saturday. Time to thin out the junk pile.
Unread 01-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Save any gold ingots you have for me... I collect them.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: