Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #81
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Harry, I just dug out my copy of "The Best of Nash Buckingham" and in Evans' introduction to Buckingham's story "Play House" he tells us that it was included in Buckingham's 1934 Derrydale, "De Shootinest Gent'man", which I have and will, instead of "The Best of Nash Buckingham", bring to deer camp. It's kind of nice to have an old classic along whispering to me all day from the duffel bag back at camp as I sneak through the shadows of the hemlock and cedar tangles.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #82
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Harry, I want to thank you for reminding me of "Play House" possibly one of Buckingham's most nostalgic and emotion-evoking stories. I really can't think of a better writer of the stories of our grandfathers' and great-grandfathers' sport. I read it at deer camp last weekend in the evening by the fire with a little sip and when I finished it I went back to the beginning and read it all over again. What days those must have been. Thanks again Harry. Dean
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #83
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Thanks Dean, as I mentioned that is a tough story for me to read. I nearly just wrote why, but as I get older I learn to just keep these things to myself. I do love to read Nash and how they would take the train here and there and I think that is one of the reasons I shoot these old Parkers. This last summer my horrid attorney friend would not shoot with me unless I shot my fathers Browning 425. So I beat the snot out of him every time we shot hopeing he would invite me to shoot my Parkers again. It never happened so I just went back to shooting the Parkers anyway. I do shoot the over and under better, however the Parkers are just me. I know this makes no sence, so take into consideraion that I have only been up for three hours.

Kindest, Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #84
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Harry,You are not alone my friend.I shoot my Beretta 682 better than my Parkers but 9 times out of 10 it stays home and the Parkers come out to play.Happy Thanksgiving to ya Harry.