Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
King Brown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here's what I'd do: go down to one of your shoots and let you take pity on me. I'd say, look, what's a real good gun around here, nothing too fancy but well cared for and used, preferably hammerless in 12 gauge? None of you would let me go home without a good gun. Parkers would appear in different grades and gauges. The first one that fit I'd take it home and choke it Cylinder/IC for ducks over decoys for me and my great black Lab named Jake. A gun without memories is just a gun.
King Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Congrats Destry!!!
Unread 07-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Congrats Destry!!!

I am glad to hear 2 years of hoping and praying payed off. I can't wait to see it in action.

KjD
Kurt Densmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

If we live long enough, we realize that the Parker of our dreams was also the Parker of someone elses fulfilled dreams many years ago. I found my #3 frame D Grade two barrel set years ago. I had to trade a real nice Smith and Wesson 38/44 Outdoorsman for it. I wonder if someone years ago ordered a 0 frame GHE 16 with three sets of Damascus barrels?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry,

Is this the gun you were telling be about a few weeks ago? Congrats on the new gun!!! I also look forward to seeing her in person, winter will be here before you know it. Please post some pic's when you can.
Derrick Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

bill, i think someone did and you will find it! scott
scott kittredge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Oh yeah, that's very true Bill. These guns are far from new and had seen a lot of service long before most of us were even born. I'm sure Mr. W. Hidden of Providence, RI was real proud of this gun when he bought it back in 1910.

It had it's first shots in anger (with me) this morning and did well. I actually managed to kill the first bird I fired it at. I'm not saying I didn't miss some, several flew off unscathed, but I killed the first one and that made me feel good.

We had a lot of fun there at the grain bins, the birds were pretty thick. It rained on us a bit at first so they flew late but once they started moving it was steady action. We had a couple dozen decoys on the ground and added the dead ones as we shot them. The final count-up was 45 when the smoke cleared, not a bad morning on barn pigeons.

Destry

P.S. to Don: BAND!!!!

P.S. to Derrick: Yup, it's the same gun.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV

Last edited by Destry L. Hoffard; 07-04-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
dreams come true `cause you made it happen.....
Unread 07-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default dreams come true `cause you made it happen.....

Destry ............I assume there are 3" nontoxic loads available that are safe for your new piece. Would you share your thoughts on what is available...I am not aware of any........Thanks, Marty
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry;

You can fix those pigeons aka squab the same as rail birds, do not forget the garlic and marsalla wine.
BTW it was piegeon shooting that blowed off the end of grandpa's old Remington rabbit eared double.

Rog
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Marty,

The two I have experience with are the Kent Tungsten Matrix shells and bismuth, the new Bismaxx company is doing a 3 inch load. Both are pretty high dollar but I've got a big stock of Kent TM 3 inch that I bought on clearance last year so I'm set for awhile. There's also Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles, I've never tried it but have heard it's good as well. They're not cheap either unforutnately, all three of those are over $3 a shells these days.

There's also a new one on the wind called Tundra that's being loaded by Fiocchi. They're not on the market yet but supposedly will be released by fall. Supposedly will only available as 2 3/4 and 3 inch in 12 gauge the first year. They're claiming the price will be a lot lower than the other stuff that's out there. We shall see.....

Destry

P.S. to Roger: I didn't blow the end off my gun thankfully, it's pretty tough on pigeons with those tight chokes.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Destry: Maybe I should have saved for you the 8 boxes of 3" Bismuth #2's I cut open for the shot this spring! Too late now.... It pains me to do that but it's cheaper for me than buying the shot... There's still some BBshot 3" at the store I think. Can't imagine anyone has bought them.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote