Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

The Ultimate Duck Gun......
Unread 07-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Default The Ultimate Duck Gun......

Several years ago, somebody posted a thread on the old site asking us all to describe the gun we'd order from Parker if we still could. I wrote about two, my duck gun description was:

12 Gauge
DHE
34 inch barrels
#3 Frame
Straight Grip
Splinter Forend
Double Triggers
Silvers Pad
3 inch Chambers

The gun is now leaning against the desk as I type this. Well except for the Silvers pad, the White Line that's on it isn't long for the world though.

Don't know about the chambers yet, haven't got anything to measure them with. They look long......

I've worked on getting this one for two years, sometimes the guns we dream of actually do exist.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Destry; Congratulations on your new gun, she sounds like a gem! Its really hard to find exactly what you are looking for, sounds as if this one is right on the money. Where will you take her on the first " Date "?
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Destry,Congratulations! Now let's see some pictures of the "Old Girl"
Unread 07-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Welcome to the 34" Club. Our motto is, "Size Matters"...my 34" CHE on its petite #2 frame is back yesterday from Russell's with a re-soldered fore end loop, repaired doll's head and "precision micro-welded" hook to put the old girl back on face. A new straight grip guard has been made and when we are back from Argentina it will go to the stocker with a nice 50 year old piece of crotch figured French walnut...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

Destry, did your new gun come from a Pennsylvania connection or somewhere else. If you care to tell us, thanks. I always thought you would hold out for a six frame.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

yes, pics!
scott kittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry had to journey but a few leagues south of his hometown to make his deal in southern Illinois...the price was dear but the value of the fulfillment of a "little" boy's dreams is without measure...when he pries the #3 frame GH 36"10ga/30" 12 ga set from me he will be complete...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Bill,

Nope, gun came out of Alton, IL actually. A long road trip yesterday to make the deal final but that let me make it a double purpose trip as I'm visiting the folks for a couple days. You were there when I saw it the first time, it was the Southern SxS a couple years ago.

Don,

How dare you suggest I'm from as far north as Alton.

I am from south of I-64, the true Southern Illinois, to me Alton is "up north". *wink*

I got to see the old hotel where Olin gave Mista Nash that presentation Model 21. Russ and I got to look at the gun in Memphis when we were having the Bo-Whoop II vieiwing.

I'll get pics of the gun up as quick as I'm back in Michigan.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Jack Lester
PGCA Member

Member Info

That is just really cool. Good for you Destry. Just goes to show that persistence does pay off. Maybe I gave up on Michelle Pfeiffer too soon, ya think? Jack
Jack Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Ultimate Duck Gun- Boy Howdy!!
Unread 07-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default The Ultimate Duck Gun- Boy Howdy!!

It is April 1912- and my first wish would be that Captain Smith had chosen a different course and the RMS Titanic had docked safely in NYC Harbor. My exchange business takes me to the Parker Sales Room in NYC, and in honour of my safe arrival, I order a 12 gauge DHE with, surprise- Titanic Steel barrels-I would "splurge" and get two sets of barrels- one pair 30" Modified and Improved Modified choked with 3" chambers, the second set 32" Improved Modifed and Full, for pass shooting. I would also use the 30" set for pheasants- No 2 size frame, double triggers of course with a slightly larger trigger guard bow for cold weather gloved hand shooting, non-automatic safety, as I would also use this "Old Reliable" for live birds, half pistol grip or Prince of Wales style, solid red Silvers recoil pad, LOP from front trigger 14 and 3/16", 1 & 1/2" DAC, 2 &1/8" DAH, NO cast on or off, and 1 & 1/2" down pitch on the 32" tubes, measured at muzzle with a 90% plumbed door jamb-It sure is fun to dream, isn't it, and the price of admission is quite reasonable.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote