Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #21
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
There reply was a flat No. No explanation of why just because they said so. The PGCA is no longer a small organization. I couldn't get an exact number of life Members but lets say its 250 and IF 80% of them vote (and I bet that's high) you have 200 members voting for what 6 BOD members who control all 1300 or so members. Not all of the life members want to contribute time and energy to the PGCA some have served their time and don't want to continue so the pool of available candidates will continue to dwindle.
Come on Rich. If you don't like PGCA that much, why do you hang around here? Jump back in, the water's fine
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #22
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Mills it's not that I don't like the PGCA because I do. I just think that long term annual members should have the ability to vote and possibly run for board positions. In 12+ years of membership I have contributed more financially than the life member who made a one time payment of $300.

How many of the life members do you actually know? Why can they make better decisions than an annual member who has been around a long time? I have been a member much longer than you have but because your a life member you can make better decisions than I can?

In the long run this line of thinking will result in failure. Every organization needs new blood.
Unread 04-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

I am going to hop into this once, and that's it...I have brought these same points up to members of the board and they have been dismissed. Ok so be it, most clubs allow annual members to vote, as Rich says, maybe after ten years who knows but we do need new blood from the annual members, or is this what I said fifteen years ago, are we aspiring to become an "elitist" club. Ok know I am out of here, said my peace. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #24
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I was annual member before becoming a lifer. I paid $350 back then and I think I maybe at breakeven now. I receive much more in information and the ability to meet some great guys who share an interest/passion. I held all three Invincible's, bought guns from Jack P., held the 6 frame 12 gauge, hung out with the Ivory Bead Boys, went to Ed M's memorial celebration where I was fortunate to spend the afternoon with Market Hunter. Please know that the least of the advantages of being a lifer is voting for the BOD.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moffa For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #25
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Did you have to be a lifer to do those things? Sounds to me like any PGCA member could have enjoyed that stuff
Unread 04-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #26
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Any member could do all that stuff except have the ability to vote.
Unread 04-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #27
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am an annual member of the NRA and I can vote for board members. I have been an annual member of the NRA for 60 years, would that be considered a committed member? But I do agree with the comment regarding knowing who to vote for and what there qualifications and level of commitment is.
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lang For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #28
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lang View Post
I am an annual member of the NRA and I can vote for board members. I have been an annual member of the NRA for 60 years, would that be considered a committed member? But I do agree with the comment regarding knowing who to vote for and what there qualifications and level of commitment is.
I think that if a person wanted to become a life member but could not afford the up front payment, then perhaps they could pay say $100 a year for five years then they would become a life member.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #29
Eric Estes
PGCA Member

Member Info

I haven't been around here that long, but my understanding is that when the PGCA was founded and chartered that is the way the initial rules and charter were written. I think the BOD can change it, but that is no small thing and probably not something simple to do. Changes to constitutions, charters for non-profits, other similar governing "rules" for various organizations are supposed to not be simple to make and changes not taken lightly. I am not discounting some of the good points made, but for a change that fundamental it would take a lot more than just a few voices.
Eric Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Estes For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #30
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Estes View Post
I haven't been around here that long, but my understanding is that when the PGCA was founded and chartered that is the way the initial rules and charter were written. I think the BOD can change it, but that is no small thing and probably not something simple to do. Changes to constitutions, charters for non-profits, other similar governing "rules" for various organizations are supposed to not be simple to make and changes not taken lightly. I am not discounting some of the good points made, but for a change that fundamental it would take a lot more than just a few voices.
There are only 7 board members and they can change this IF they wanted to but the DON'T want to. This organization has grown tremendously but the BOD haven't grown with the times.