Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Why would I want to be a non committed insignificant annual member......again
I am not aware that we have any of those , except in the minds of those who consider themselves uncommitted and insignificant.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

YOU made the comment that the annual member wasn't committed when the question of allowing long term annual members the ability to vote.
Unread 04-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Rich, that is not not accurate , intentionally or misstatement.

Being a life member is a demonstration of long term financial commitment to an organization. It is that way with the PGCA, RGS, PF or Rotary. In the PGCA it provides two privileges ; 1) dues are paid up and 2) voting and running for the board. Those matters are in the by laws and can be changed only by procedures for change provided therein.

There are two paths to life membership; 1) most people pay their way, for some it is easy, for others, they have to save for some months. 2) a few people have provided extraordinary service to the PGCA or to Parker collecting such that their service is rewarded by the board by life membership.

If a person has difficulty coming up with the money, I am aware that there are informal payment plans to life membership. Rich, if that is the case, may I suggest you contact a board member about the situation.

For myself, although I am a life member, I owe the PGCA much more than I have ever paid in. When I didn't know much about the guns I received the patience and helpfulness of strangers. I learned much and continue to gain knowledge. I have made good friends from coast to coast, people whom I would have otherwise never met. I have enjoyed comradeship based in mutual interest and appreciation. I have made life long hunting buddies, friends who have shown me areas and techniques. I am indebted to them and the organization that brought us together. For me, there is only one reasonable response and that is to invest my money and time in our PGCA organization that needs my and our help.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

I beg to differ, it is accurate. I was an annual member for well over 12 years so if you want to look at the monetary aspect I had paid in more than many of the older life members.

When the board was asked to allow long term members the privilege to vote the only reply was NO. There was no explanation of the reasoning behind it. The board does whatever it wants to and answers to no one.

I'm done with this I just don't care anymore.
Unread 04-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Never thought about it. I am also a annual member in the Remington Society and can vote. Also when I was a annual member [ now life ] in the NRA, NMLRA, and my local sportsmens club I could vote. Interesting thoughts both ways.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 04-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #16
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am a member of numerous other organizations both annual and life. This is the only organization that prohibits me as an annual member from voting.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

The annual member has no benefits here other than the for sale section of the forum and Parker Pages BUT for only $500 you can be a life member and vote for people you probably don't know who do what they want to.

I know more about what was going on with my credit union than I did with the PGCA when I was a member.
Unread 04-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rich, it is a good question. Maybe the board would like to respond why annual members can't vote. I'd like to know.
Unread 04-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #19
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

There reply was a flat No. No explanation of why just because they said so. The PGCA is no longer a small organization. I couldn't get an exact number of life Members but lets say its 250 and IF 80% of them vote (and I bet that's high) you have 200 members voting for what 6 BOD members who control all 1300 or so members. Not all of the life members want to contribute time and energy to the PGCA some have served their time and don't want to continue so the pool of available candidates will continue to dwindle.
Unread 04-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #20
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Rich, it is a good question. Maybe the board would like to respond why annual members can't vote. I'd like to know.
I think because life members show a strong and long term commitment to PGCA by writing a big check for life membership. Also, these are the members who generally know the players involved and will make a wise voting decision.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote