Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

VHE Trap
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Dennis Eskey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default VHE Trap

I'm looking at a VHE that is advertised as a trap gun. Other than 32" barrels and a trap forend, I see nothing to convince me that it's a factory trap model. No single trigger, no ventilated rib, no safety delete, etc. Is there a "rule of thumb" (sorry, had to ask) as to the attributes that a true factory VHE Trap would have? I probably don't have time to get a letter on it and that may not help anyway. ??? Thanks.
Dennis Eskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Mark Conrad
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The true test are the stock dimensions. Shooters liked double triggers and they are more relieable than the early SST. Most trap guns had safties but they were non-auto. If the stock dimensions are 1 3/8" x 2" x 14 1/2" or close to this, I would say the gun was intended for trap use.

Mark
Mark Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
VHE Trap
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Dennis Eskey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thumbs down VHE Trap

Mark, thankyou. Good points. No concern with the lack of the ventilated rib?
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

My understanding is a "Trap" gun would be configured with; 30" or longer bbls (might have vent rib), most likley to have double beads, tight chokes, might have a BTFE, might be equipped with a SST, could be P/G or straight grip stock that is considered "high" or "straight" (not as much drop as a field gun), stock might have what is called a "full comb", safety might be non-automatic, automatic or possibly no safety at all.

Lots of owner discretion involved with a trap gun, the basics are long barrels,tight chokes, straight stocks.

What I would like; 30" barrels tight chokes but one more open than the other for shooting the first target in doubles, double beads, a BTFE (barrel heat can be uncomfortable in summer), a SST (easier for doubles), a full comb, a straight stock with about 2 1/8" DAH.

Last edited by Pete Lester; 03-10-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Pete, dead on, except that Rem-Parker cataloged a "Parker Double Barrel Trap Gun" which had as standard: any grade, 12ga, recoil pad, SST, beavertail forend, 30 or 32", vent rib, 14 3/8", 1 1/2DAC, 1 7/8"DAH, any grip, Monte Carlo optional, non auto safety. See Rem Parker catalog, p. 27.

But the V in question is a long way from the Double Barrel Trap. We've been through this trap gun or live bird gun issue many times with few real identifiers besides long barrels and high stock.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce I believe we can/should differentiate between a "Trap" gun and a Parker "Double Trap". I saw the question as what makes a "Trap" gun. I think it is important to note that Parker purposefully built guns for trap shooting before the "Double Trap" was marketed. The gun as described is not a "Double Trap" but may indeed by a "Trap" gun.
VHE Trap
Unread 03-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Dennis Eskey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default VHE Trap

I'll obviously have to check these additional areas, particularly the stock dimensions. Right now all I have is a 12ga. VHE advertised as a trap model w/32" barrels, F&F, beavertail forend, straight stock,twin ivory beads, double triggers and a 1928 serial number. Thanks again.
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

No, you're right Pete. I was just adding to your comment, not differing with you at all. Parker made lots of guns that could be called trap guns, some could be used for anything and a few were specialized trap guns. I believe that it was not until the early 1930's that Parker made something that they actually cataloged as a trap gun yet they had obviously made trap guns for many years ( not counting the single barrel guns). Then as now, trap shooters had their individual ideas about what they wanted in a trap gun, and recalling that the national trapshooting champion for several years running shot a cheap single barrel Mod 37 Winchester.

Dennis, it may be splitting hairs, but I would not call that V a "trap model". I would call it a "trap configuration", not that it makes a hill of any difference.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
VHE Trap
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Dennis Eskey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default VHE Trap

If I remember from the Parker Story (Trap Gun Section) they mentioned a trap gun being made available in 1928. ??? That date, I remember, did seem to jive with the 1928 date on this gun. (Again discounting the SBT's)

Bruce, I can certainly appreciate your point. Any gun could have been bought in any configuration for any buyer. And for that reason, perhaps the question has no real answer and anything with long barrels and a high stock is a "maybe"......end of story. ????

I just hope that when I go to sell it the buyer doesn't ask me the same questions that I'm asking you guys and the current seller.
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
No, you're right Pete. I was just adding to your comment, not differing with you at all. Parker made lots of guns that could be called trap guns, some could be used for anything and a few were specialized trap guns.
I have VH from 1928 with 30" tight chokes, double beads. splinter foreend, p/g stock and not much drop with a nice big full comb that spreads the recoil over my cheek. Mark Conrad noted in a letter it was "trap configuration" I like shooting crows over a caller and decoys with it